0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Drum'N'Bass Area

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Original Message                 Date: 16-Oct-99  @  07:30 PM   -   Drum'N'Bass Area

wai

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Welcome to this new forum dedicated to the harder, phatter edge of dance music. Share your ideas, tips etc...Discuss about anything concerning the production of "Drum'n'Bass music. Hope this will be an active forum.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 41/89                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

spectraphonix

Thank you Jwa and Wai,but I already have an Akai S3000XL(I had not enough money for s5000!!!)!!
What I wolud would like to know is the way you work to obtain a breackbeat,if you use groove with drum only or not ,drum solos and so on .
To begin what do you exactly mean with breackbeat,coz I guess there is a litlle misunderstoodment in terminology.
Thank you again,see you soon.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 42/89                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  06:05 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

A breakbeat is a rythym with irregular spaces between the main beats (think funk, hip hop, jungle). As opposed to the four to the floor beat of house or Techno ( u know, doof doof doof doof)

Message 43/89                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

Sorry...missed out a kik....

Message 44/89                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

spectraphonix

Thanks R-Tek
Can you suggest me any BreackBeats records?I suppose yes!
And how do you works on them ?Do you use Recycle?
Excuse me ,but I'm hungry of information!!

Message 45/89                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

old miss pennywickle

Seems like we got a good drum'n'bass crowd here so I'm gonna lay this on you guys/gals. I spend probably 50 percent of my composing time on the BASS. I do it like this sometimes: I sample a bunch of sub-bass riffs that sort of go along with my drum loops and fills. Then instead of exclusively relying on these for the whole track, I run one long midi track through the whole song running a modulated analog bass sound that doesn't get too quantized or repetitive. Then I kind of go back and forth between samples and live synth bass to give the bass some dimension. Tell me some of your techniques.

Message 46/89                 Date: 04-Nov-99  @  11:02 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

Spectraphonix - pretty much all jungle is breakbeat. If u want 2 get your hands on the classic breakbeats, U could do a lot worse than buy the "Classic Beats n Breaks" 12" series which contain the original records where the classic breaks come from. I`ve got the 1st one and its got the SEMINAL Amen break on it and Mary Mary as well along with some other lesser originals. When u say BreakBeat records, u mean records 2 sample from or just good examples of records with breaks? Yeah, I use Recycle quite a bit 2 split up the rythym, map them across my keyboard and then rearrange them 4 edits. Thats probably the best way 2 start working on breaks but its also worth bearing in mind that u should wanna start programming yer breaks. ie. just take the kik, snare , perc. etc alone without any of the space in between (1st chop at the very beginnig of the hit and the 2nd at the end of the release segment of the hit)and arrange them in the drum edit screen of your sequencer 4 truly original beats (if that makes sense, not sure if I explained it well).

Message 47/89                 Date: 04-Nov-99  @  12:15 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

k

you can get some good stuff also simply by using an audio track and chopping up a break with the scissors tool, then re-arranging the bitz on the track with a low resolution like say 16th or 8th Snap...

Message 48/89                 Date: 04-Nov-99  @  04:13 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

Spectraphonix

Thank you very much R-Tek,everything is more clear to me now,very good tips!
See ya.
P.S:I mean records to sample from.

Message 49/89                 Date: 04-Nov-99  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

wai

One more tip, as mentioned by K is to load a break into an audio track in (i use) Cubase. With Cubase, you can play the break at any point, stop at anypoint. It's perfect and easy to programm different variations of breaks. Use it as ideas, then programm it into your sampler so you can make use of the sampler's filters etc....
Hey old miss penny wickle, how about sending me a midi file of your bass lines? I'll add my breaks to them, as i'm more of a drum programmer.

Message 50/89                 Date: 04-Nov-99  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

old miss pennywickle

Doing bass to no drums is like building a house from the top down. I'd love to shake up some floorboards for ya but I can't do it like that. MP3 me a short break and I'll send it back with a new suit on.

penny

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

There are 89 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum