0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: the long route..................

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 07-Oct-05  @  10:11 AM   -   the long route..................

Dominic

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Im such a prat. Just reduced all my delta 410 soundcard levels (within the control panel) to consumer -10db. Now -10db on a Logic instrument track matches -10db on my mackie desk. Its a bloody revelation  I can set my kick at 0 db, my snare at -2db, bass at -10db, guitar at -15db, etc and my tracks actually sound right!!!! Track now peaking at +3db on my desk.

Before I had the 410 control levels up at full cos I was trying to get the best signal to noise ratio but when I burnt stuff to CD to listen on my stereo my stuff sounded too chunky, no dynamics and not spacey enough when compared to my favourite producers. Now its like another world!!!!!!

Im a proper fool. My friend told me that the guy who now runs Juno did something similar  he gave up trying to produce cos he couldnt understand why his tunes never sounded pro enough. After 4 years of trying  a bloke walked into his studio and told him his speakers were out of phase.

My question is can I find something in Logic that will give me a test tone so I can (exactly) match 0db on my instrument track to 0db on my Mackie? I would have though the Osc plug would but maybe it needs an input signal to work.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/40                 Date: 11-Oct-05  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: the long route..................

Domimic

Greg I wouldn't put anything ontop of the speaker. Plus are you trying to match your kick drum against a kick drum in a mastered track? This doesn't work - I know. I wasted months before I realised. What works for me is having my kick drum peaking at 0db and my snare peaking at -2db. Bass at -10db and guitar at -15 db. These are just rough, starting figures but I rarely drift from these settings by 2db up or down. Whole track now peaks at +3db on the Mackie metres. This is before limiting.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/40                 Date: 11-Oct-05  @  12:03 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

monkeybasket2001

no not to a mastered track just to get the initial levels to build a foundation from...for me with house and those dance floor styles it starts with the kick so i like to get it as pounding as poss but with headroom to spare- matching it exactly to a mastered track would give me nohting as everyone seems to limit their tracks up to -.3db...what im finding is the bigger (and more convincing) i make the kick the worse the rest of the tune sounds, ive tried ducking, side chaining etc

greg

Message 13/40                 Date: 11-Oct-05  @  12:14 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

monkeybasket2001

Greg I wouldn't put anything ontop of the speaker.
>>>>>>>>

bugger! you'll see why when i post my pic that i was hoping you would say it doesn't matter (despite me knowing in my heart that it does- damn i invest too much in what other pros say!! )

ill find somewhere else for my bits to go.

i have my kicks peak around -3db (bare in mind i mix outside and not in a pc) usually lower, i then build around that with the bass probably around -6db (these are wild guesstimates- based on my last track i can remember) but essentially my tracks dont go above 0db...this is matched inside my pc (im just using soundforge- 24 bit recording) where i ensure nothing is clipping- its often looking at these more precise meters that i will go back and tame wild peaks which sneak through...

once that is all done i try and coax a little more loudness out- not to squash the whole thing but to use the old trick of limiting the kick to bring the overall volume up....i experiment with L2 using a -0.3db max output limit....

this sometimes actually makes my tracks too loud but most of the time works very well...i prefer not to squash to much of the mix as a whole and as the kicks are louder than anything else it only generally compresses the kicks...

seems everything i try gets me nearer to the sound i want but takes me further away from what ive already achieved.....

the problem im finding with using this technique is that my tracks are often quite middy and harsh where the kicks seems to honk through the mix, yet i bring them down and the whole track just doesnt thump...

greg

Message 14/40                 Date: 11-Oct-05  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

k

Link?:  Link

what speakers/amp?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/40                 Date: 11-Oct-05  @  02:32 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

monkeybasket2001

Link?: Link

well it was a samson servo 170....but ive pwaned that as i picked up one of those t-amps and much preferred it...so its now a sonic impact t-amp (the portable jobby but running off mains) and the speakers (monitors k, monitors ) are alesis monitor 1s (passive)

ive made the effort to bring the monitors about 1 foot away from the back wall but as its an enclosure ive set up in it means they are quite close to the sides:

im hoping that doesn't affect them too much!

greg

Message 16/40                 Date: 11-Oct-05  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

monkeybasket2001

oh ive put a shitty diagram in the link
greg

Message 17/40                 Date: 11-Oct-05  @  03:56 PM     Edit: 11-Oct-05  |  04:07 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

beds

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

no you haven't

[edit]
oh yes you have. nice picture.

you know that's a terrible place to put your speakers don't you. what's that in the left corner?

Message 18/40                 Date: 11-Oct-05  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

Dominic

Is that to scale?

Seriously though aren't you s'possed to have monitors at least 2 foot away from any walls?

Message 19/40                 Date: 11-Oct-05  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

Dominic

Also Greg the gents here told me to use 0.1db on the limiter output clip. Plus computer music magazine did the same thing in their "sound like Royksopp" article last month. So it must be right..........

Message 20/40                 Date: 12-Oct-05  @  08:59 AM   -   RE: the long route..................

monkeybasket2001

you know that's a terrible place to put your speakers don't you.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

beds it says "1 foot"..i can get 1 foot separation from the back but not the sides...is there anything i could do to lessen the absorption of sound through those walls?....i dont really have anywhere else to put my gear but dont wanna spend all my time compensating for the fact my speakers are too close to the walls..

dom, im guessing its not a great place no- i thought it was 1 foot away not two but ill take your word for it- i def cant achieve the 2 foot separation- i dont have the room,

-0.1db!! oh no it gets louder!!

greg

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 40 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum