0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Mixer to soundcard problem

Pages: 1

Original Message 1/4                 Date: 01-Jul-03  @  10:07 PM   -   Mixer to soundcard problem

Gpc

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I,ve just got a soundcraft mixer (E8) with no subgroups 8 mono 2 stereo and am having some teething troubles i've connected it as follows

1-4 to Yamaha a3000
5-6 to Yamaha An1x
stereo 1 to ks rack
stereo 2 to soundcard outputs
rec out to soundcard input
monitor out to amp then speakers

If I solo the soundcard outputs (stereo2) I can still hear other synths and the soundcard doesn't sound right.

If I drop the faders on the other synths I can't hear them but the soundcard still doesn't sound right.

If I remove the Rec out cables (connected to the soundcard input) everything sounds fine but then I can't record.

What am I doing wrong?

Ian

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/4                 Date: 01-Jul-03  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: Mixer to soundcard problem

Gpc

Oh it's a yamaha sw1000xg soundcard

Ian

Message 3/4                 Date: 03-Jul-03  @  11:56 AM   -   RE: Mixer to soundcard problem

k

ok, the problem is here the routing. this mixer has no second buss, which means you have only a stereo bus to output. So... hmm..... really the best way to use that rig would be to send everything thru the pc soundcard in and monitor via that dorect out to amp/speakers, but you'd need low latency, like 5ms to do that sucessfuly.

what you want is that everything on the mixer blends with the pc playback... fine that you can do as it is now.

But the problem comes when you want to send channels OUT from the mixer to the PC card to be recorded... best way probably is to use the aux sends

attach aux-out-1 to pc in Left, attach aux-out-2 to pc in Right

to send some signal from a channel to the PC just turn Up some of aux 1 AND 2 on the required channel to the same level/amount, and that wills end the signal OUT from the channel tot he PC IN L/R...

the problem is there is no L/R MIX IN/OUT switch on channels either *sigh* - so the problem would be.,...

the signal comes In to a channel from your outboard.... you send some out to the PC INL/R... the signal arrives and might bounce back out of the PC L/R OUT and come back to the mixer to create a howlround loop... so you need to make sure you can record, hear the playback from the pc as you record, AND at the same time what you are recording via the PC input does NOT get sent back out via the pc out L/R until AFTER it's recorded.

if you had either a spare buss or at least L/R mix in/out switching it'd be easier.... if you're really into your outboard I'd recommend changing the mixer for something with at least a spare stereo buss where channels can be routed to EITHER the MASTER L/R or spare L/R buss... That way you can hardwire it all into your PC and route things to the pc with the flick of a switch, and STILL have your aux channels free on the mixer for any tasks... if you're not using oiutboard fx or use the mixer live, the uax sends arent as important as spare buss's for PC recording.

Message 4/4                 Date: 04-Jul-03  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: Mixer to soundcard problem

Gpc

Cheers K got it sorted now.

Ian

Pages: 1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum