0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Viewing all 76 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

Original Message 1/76                 Date: 31-Oct-02  @  09:56 AM   -   Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Mr Bash

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

1. The house fly hums in the key of F major.

2. Tigers have striped skni, not just striped fur.

3. A goldfish has a 3 second memory.

4. The giant squid has the biggest eyes in the world.

5. The male gypsy moth can smell the virgin female from 1.8 miles away.

6. A donkey will sink in quicksand but a mule won't.

7. Dolphins sleep with one eye open.

8. Pigs can become alcholics.

9. A Blue whales tounge weighs more than an entire elephant.

10. The waste produced by one chicken in its entire lifetime can supply enough electricity to run a 100-watt buld for 5 hours.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/76                 Date: 31-Oct-02  @  10:50 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

psylichon

Link?: Link

one of the proudest moments of my life was when a fly buzzed by and my girl asked me what the pitch was. I said F and hummed it to the piano and I was right! Only time I've ever had perfect pitch (actually it was relative to another song in my head at the time).

Of course, I didn't know the factoid. It's not quite so cool when you make it all known like that.

psylichon

Message 3/76                 Date: 31-Oct-02  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

what about a sad fly?

Message 4/76                 Date: 31-Oct-02  @  09:24 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

influx

c minor

Message 5/76                 Date: 31-Oct-02  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

horny fly?

B flat?

Message 6/76                 Date: 31-Oct-02  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

k

Link?:  Link

y'know flies are just training bots for patience excercises.  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/76                 Date: 01-Nov-02  @  12:45 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

ahhh.. grasshopper....

now go wash my car...

Message 8/76                 Date: 01-Nov-02  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

pict

A new born elephant brain weighs more than a new born human.

An elephant can crush every parasite on its skin with one squeeze.

In recent times elephants rip the tusks out of dead elephants and smash them something which they never did in the past.

A dog's sense of smell is 1 million times stronger when it's hungry than when it's full.

Polar bear fur isn't white it's transparent it captures light in such a way that it appears white.

Message 9/76                 Date: 01-Nov-02  @  11:39 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

BJT

> In recent times elephants rip the tusks out of dead elephants and smash them something which they never did in the past.

Elephants are the only other animal that recognises and mourns over their dead.

Message 10/76                 Date: 01-Nov-02  @  11:46 AM     Edit: 01-Nov-02  |  11:48 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

k

"Polar bear fur isn't white it's transparent it captures light in such a way that it appears white"

lol! - anything that is white does that. it doesnt 'capture light', quite the contrary, it reflects all frequency bands. (sorry, I'm a painter too) if it absorbed them all it'd be black... hence black objects heat up faster than white ones (remember those light bulbs with a black/white propellor blade in it that spins when it is placed in sunlight ?? - it spinds cos one blade is repelling the light/heat and one is absorbing... so it spins)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 11/76                 Date: 01-Nov-02  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

xoxos

it spins 1,000,000 times!

Message 12/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  01:55 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

influx

"In recent times elephants rip the tusks out of dead elephants and smash them something which they never did in the past."

wtf?

really?

and this is saying...that the elephants realize that they are being farmed of their tusks, so they deny the poachers that trophy?!?!?!

wow

Message 13/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

pict

That's what it appears to be Influx.

Message 14/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  03:44 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

influx

damn. that is some HEAVY shit!

Message 15/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  12:00 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

D

Thats nothing, did you know a male chimps nads are bigger than a male silverback gorillas?

Message 16/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

the size of a primates gonads are directly in proprtion to the infidelity of the females..

The more unfaithful the female the bigger the nuts basically..

So Gorillas have smaller nuts than human males, who have smaller nuts than chimps..

hahaha

Message 17/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

BJT

Pigs cant see the sky!

Message 18/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

pict

Until they're hung upside down from a block and tackle awaiting the final cut.

Message 19/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  02:32 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

psylichon

mmmmmmmmm, bacon

Message 20/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

xoxos

mmm, kicking psylichon in the testes.

Message 21/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

j-type

polar bears' fur is actually transparent. each hair is transparent (not white!) and hollow which causes visible light to scatter such that it *appears* white. hard to grasp unless you are familiar with optical physics, in particular the phenomenon of scattering. UV pictures of polar bears show them to be black. Plus they give out so little heat that they don't show up on infrared photos.

"In recent times elephants rip the tusks out of dead elephants and smash them something which they never did in the past."

got a link, or some other source? I'd like to read more about this...

Message 22/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  03:01 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

psylichon

kick away. as long as I have a juicy, salty slab of pig in my mouth you won't hear me complaining.

psylichon

Message 23/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

pict

j-type some time ago I saw a documentary on the box in which there was footage of elephants ripping the tusks out of dead elephants the narrator said that this behaviour was a very recent phenomenon and was thought to be in response to ivory poaching there was some famous wildlife painter on it and he recited a huge list of facts about elephants that was one of the things that caught my attention.The following link has some info and briefly mentions how some elephants carry tusks away among other unusual and human like behaviourisms it seems that tuskless elepants are becoming more common and there is conjecture that this may be natural selection at work as tuskless elephants aren't as valuable as tusked ones and are therefore less of a target for poachers,it could just mean that the tuskless ones are becoming more noticeable due to tusked specimens gradually being poached out.

http://www.globalideasbank.org/inspir/INS-114.HTML

Message 24/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

j-type

thanks for that, fascinating stuff

Message 25/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  05:20 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

k

well thats weird. polar bears go against the whole physics of colour reflection? (as i was taught it on my degree)

the whole point is, nothing in the universe has colour - there's no such thing as 'white' or 'brown' fur or a 'red' wall.. once you remove the light source they cease to have colour as the visible perceived colour is just the remaining colours NOT absorbed by the structure of the object or paint etc.

when people talk about something having say a 'green' pigment, it doesnt mean the leaf is actualy 'green', it means the leaf cells absorb ALL colour bands EXCEPT green.

thats' what i was taught anyways.

Message 26/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  05:25 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

k

which is why applying different 'clear' glazes to colours changes their tone even tho they are transparent, the matt or gloss quality of the glaze allows more or less light absorbsion reaching the actual pigmented reflective paint cells. - again place tow colours adjascently and it again changes the tone of the colours as light reflecting in a complimentary or uncomplimentary form from the adjascent tone reflects onto the second tone altering it's reflective range cos what is hitting it is NOT pure spectrum daylight. again, why Flourescent lights make colour appear different to daylight - (RULE NUMBER 1 when painting - NEVER do it by artificial light cos in daylight the tones will be different - never show colour examples to a client at night by artificial light, always in the daytime in natural light.)

Message 27/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  05:26 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

k

which is also why wet paint has a completely different tone to dry paint. (even 'white')

Message 28/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

what?

Message 29/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

psylichon

I know what he's saying, but think about it k. The polar bears aren't breaking physics, just obeying it. All white hair is actually transparent, even on humans, so little light is absorbed, and you get the whole spectrum reflected to your eye. White.

Polar bears aren't any more special than my grandma.

psylichon

Message 30/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

like a rainbow

Message 31/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

JX3P0

So if I shine a red light at a polar bear he'll be
red?What if i change the color temperature
from 5500K to 3300K will he then switch from
white to yellow?I once knew an alcoholic
cat.So I guess that applies to cats too huh?

cat is the feline variety not my usual slang
up of the english language.

Message 32/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

j-type

'Colour' is simply the name we give to our perception of different wavelengths/frequencies (both equivalent) of visible light. In perceiving colour, our brain only cares about the frequency of the light entering our eyes, not how it came into being.

You can have hairs that are solid, opaque and appear white just by virtue of the material they're made of, i.e. the material itself at the molecular level *reflects* most of the incident light. This is what we would call intrinsically white material. All wavelengths that fall on it are reflected back.

OR, in the polar bears' case - the hair *material* itself is optically transparent and hollow. The light is NOT reflected (at least not in the plane sense), but it passes through, being randomly scattered by the hollow hair structure. With enough of these hairs to give an equal mix of scattered components, the net result is white light. Our eyes don't care that it was scattered before arriving there.

If the polar bear's coat was materially white, a good deal of the light falling on it would be reflected away, which wouldn't help the bear keep warm. Being transparent, the light gets through to the bear's black, absorbing skin.

Message 33/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

influx

I love how whenever someone gives some info people come in and flex their "look what I know"

Message 34/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

damballah

all I know is that without proper use, the look-what-I-know muscle will atrophy and fall off.  

Message 35/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

j-type

he started it  

Message 36/76                 Date: 02-Nov-02  @  11:11 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

but it's cool to learn stuff no?

Message 37/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  12:19 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

milan

"hi, i dont know anything and if i knew i´d never show it to anyone out of fear of sounding pretencious, or god forbid being mistaken"

Message 38/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

influx

yup. thats me.I never say shit 

Message 39/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  01:12 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

damballah

now wait a minute. are you sure the hair's transparent? you sure it isn't translucent? if it were transparent, wouldn't it look like a coat of fiber-optic cables and refract the light somewhat prismatically? that would be trippy.

Message 40/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  01:43 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

influx

polar bear and the technicolor overcoat

Message 41/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  02:14 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

j-type

tranparent, translucent... no substance is totally transparent so if we're splitting hairs (ho ho) then it could be thought of as translucent, but definitely not white, which is the crux of the matter. how about see-through?

link above is an interesting look at the 'polar bear hairs as fibre optics' debate

Message 42/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  03:43 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

damballah

great, now I can chat up the artic zoology ladies

Message 43/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  03:47 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

psylichon

"What beautiful hair you have, young lady... you know it's not really blonde?"

Message 44/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  11:51 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

I'd like to investigate the fibre optic properties of your pubes, may I shine this flashlight down your panties?

Message 45/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

bedwyr

hehe, i tried that last night, she wasn't too impressed.

Message 46/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

BJT

If you tie sticky tape to a cat's paws, it can't walk.

Message 47/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

BJT

Giraffes sleep for 15 minutes a day.

Message 48/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  02:12 PM     Edit: 03-Nov-02  |  02:14 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

If you drain all the water out of an ocean the fish just flop about at the bottom.

Message 49/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  02:43 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

milan

haha  

Message 50/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

damballah

seagulls can't burp or fart and if you feed 'em alka-seltzer, they'll blow up real good  

Message 51/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

xoxos

thousands of dying flopping fish.. making me think of americans..

i had a great one today "aaah'd laaahk murmbrumumbrmum aw' tweh-fo' am durmurhmbruhhuh" "i'm sorry, could you repeat that?" "uhhhay, whah yuh aehhsk mah tah saiehh evurrthan uhgin?" "because i can't understand what you're saying" "wuhelll FUUUHURCK YEEWW"

a classic moment that lives eternally in my memory (inc. before it occured.) hour after hour of ignorantly inarticulate pissbrains. america - perhaps the country that's done more than any other to reverse evolution. well it's either this or driving fertilizer trucks into the shawpayhn mawuhl. "american? die."

Message 52/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

xoxos

oh, humans, you make me fucking wretch.

Message 53/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

psylichon

yeah, man. animal facts make me hate humanity, too.

...?

psylichon

Message 54/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

influx

rurik...dude...do you really think that theyre stupid BECAUSE theyre americans?

dont think youd run into unintelligible idiots in your beloved england, eh?

Message 55/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

xoxos

ahahahah, you admit it!

Message 56/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  11:35 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

I don't think there is much correlation between unintelligibility and idiocy...

KJk skjhsisaj kj!!! is what i say..

Message 57/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  11:35 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

psylichon

rurik?

Message 58/76                 Date: 03-Nov-02  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

Fnarg!

Message 59/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  02:10 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

BJT

If you feed a dog chocolate it dies.

Message 60/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  02:25 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

GT

if you feed liberals truth, they cringe....err, wrong thread

Message 61/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  06:09 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

influx

I sure wish youd stop with the liberal crap.

and thats not true about dogs and chocolate. my dog eats chocolate and he aint dead

unintelligible, unintelligent, unfknblvbl

Message 62/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  06:23 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

psylichon

my dog ate a pound of fudge one christmas eve (serious homemade, thick fudge too, not some wimpy shit). she's dead now, but the chocolate didn't kill her. She filled the entire kitchen floor with a couple inches of vomit, but she lived. And she was like a tiny 25 lb. cocker spaniel, too. why am i talking about this shit???

psylichon

Message 63/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  07:16 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

GT

since you busted my balls ealier influx...

aint isn't a word :P

Message 64/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  07:42 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

influx

aint AINT a word! 

Message 65/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  10:50 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

BJT

innit!

Message 66/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

influx

heh. that too

but thats a contraction (sorta) for "isn't it" right?

but..aint?

Message 67/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  10:56 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

it is, it isn't, isn't it?

Hamlet's soliloquy.

Message 68/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

bedwyr

is, aint, innit?

Message 69/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  12:15 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

pict

The colloquialism ain't is a contraction of are not,is not,am not or have not and is in the Merriam Webster dictionary not bad for a collection of letters that aren't a word.

Message 70/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

that's 'ain't' a word innit? mate..

Message 71/76                 Date: 04-Nov-02  @  09:06 PM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

xoxos

anyone ever see that picture of the guy who's got all the fetish gear on on his chair and thingas?

Message 72/76                 Date: 05-Nov-02  @  03:35 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

pict

Talking of fetishes a guy posted a link on the sound on sound website to a site that shows extreme fetish stuff I really don't understand why anybody would want to have their penis sliced in half lengthways or how about having your ring pierced(I kid you not you can have your piles pierced!).

Message 73/76                 Date: 05-Nov-02  @  04:04 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

influx

ass grapes!

Message 74/76                 Date: 05-Nov-02  @  04:08 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

pict

Lol!yes you're on to it.

Message 75/76                 Date: 08-Nov-02  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

Zazza

what was this thread about again?

Message 76/76                 Date: 08-Nov-02  @  12:42 AM   -   RE: Ten Wacky Animal Facts

bedwyr

piles?

... south wales joke alert ...

"what's the difference between a north walian and hemorrhoids? - when hemorrhoids come down they usually go back up, but north walians come down and they stay down"

you had to be here  

Viewing all 76 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

There are 76 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum