0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Q and uQ sound not same

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  04:28 PM   -   Q and uQ sound not same

Pongoid

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Not so long ago, a very beautiful and talented lady visited me, and brought her uQ along, and we compared patches, and even with all of the setting IDENTICAL from scratch, the sound quality of the two synths (QRack and uQ) are different. The micro tends to be hotter, and brighter, louder, but not as warm, deep and smooth as the Q. Different tools. People say same engines, but it's not. Different ranges and responses, I'm tellin ya. uQ kind of reminds of Nord's sound with a German twist. Big Q sounds like it's...itself. So anyhoos, there's a tidbit.

Ape

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/15                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

Stefan

Hey Pongoid,

I don't believe that unless that beautiful talented lady demonstrates it to me oersonally ;-)

Message 3/15                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

Pongoid

Your loss, dude. I'm trying to give ya the info, and set shit straight in case you're thinking about pickin one up, thinkin it's just like the other. As for the pretty and talented lady? You'd have to talk to her about that, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ape

Message 4/15                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

Stefan

I already knew the differences from the reports of those who converted the Q/mQ user soundsets, but would really appreciate to have this confirmed by the lady you mentioned ;-)

Message 5/15                 Date: 12-Jul-02  @  12:53 AM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

errata

Link?:  No link

I have the uQ and I'd testify to what you're saying. It's a cold little bastard, brassy even but very "industrial". I've heard "real" Q's and they have warmth and sweetness the uQ can't touch. I actually like the uQ for it's angry little sounds though. I have a nova and novation sounds sweeter to me than any Waldorf anyway.

What I don't like about the uQ is it's a buggy little bastard that can't be completely trusted to do what you've told it to do. Syncing LFO's is always dependent on whether it feels like it, and the noize oscillator is so far buried down in the architecture that for the first few months I thought they'd left it off mine... hehehehe.

e

Message 6/15                 Date: 12-Jul-02  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

milan

errata, which os have you got? my microQ´s lfo´s sync whenever I feel like it, not the other way around ;)

and yes, its a known fact the two sound different.

Message 7/15                 Date: 12-Jul-02  @  11:10 PM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

errata

I don't have the latest OS actually. I have the one right before reverb was introduced. I've downloaded the new one but haven't had the time to update (I'd have to save all my ROM to Sysex...just haven't got around to it yet!)...

The LFO's just sometimes don't sync up. They sort of have to be coaxed if you get my drift. It will also sometimes (very rarely) change the voice on a given channel to a001 in multi mode... It's only happened a coupl'a times, but it's enough that I check all the voices when I change multi's if I'm on stage before I start playing channels.

e

Message 8/15                 Date: 12-Jul-02  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

Stefan

I have that LFO sync problem too, though my µQ has the latest OS. Maybe there are different boards, cause some people have no probs at all, others have.
The above link points to a picture of my µQ LFOs behaviour if synced to midi.
Track1 Metronome, track2 lfo with internal clock, track 3 lfo going mad if midi clock is sent

Message 9/15                 Date: 13-Jul-02  @  02:10 AM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

milan

oh yeah, my uQ goes bonkers too if i feed it midi clock (shows up weir tempo drift, tho that might be my cheap midi interface also). only workaround i found is to set the internal clock to the tempo of your track. that takes care of it for me.

Message 10/15                 Date: 13-Jul-02  @  09:20 PM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

marianimal

Stefan, you already have the microQ so a lady with the same synth would not be able to prove the difference to you. :-)

Message 11/15                 Date: 21-Jul-02  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

Pongoid

I sure enjoyed listening to the uQ's sound and sniffing out its capabilities. Pretty tough little unit for its size. Yup, good session. Still love my rack more, but the uQ has its place too. I wonder if the board sounds the same.

Ape

Message 12/15                 Date: 22-Jul-02  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

Errata

I've seen the timing drift you're talking about. But it's never effected the actual timing. If you go to the tempo screen it's bouncing around within 1 or 2 BPMs... but it SOUNDS solid!

i've actually been very impressed with the clock on the uQ... Quantization of arpegiation's is a must!

e

Message 13/15                 Date: 02-Aug-02  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

Drop

Wombles.

Message 14/15                 Date: 07-Aug-02  @  08:23 AM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

JX3P0

Link?:  Link

Got my uQ and loving it.Never heard the Q so
it's not a biggee to me.It sits very well w/ my
analogs.It's definitely not warm but i don't think
that any VA is as warm as the real deal.Has a
very in depth engine though.I just got mine
Friday so i'll let you know about any bugs or
lack thereof later.

JX3P0

Message 15/15                 Date: 07-Aug-02  @  09:54 AM   -   RE: Q and uQ sound not same

milan

hehe... enjoy and welcome to the club!

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum