0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: z-plane filters from EMU ? to a total rookie

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 26-Nov-99  @  11:42 PM   -   z-plane filters from EMU ? to a total rookie

opus636

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

i want to know what Z-Plane filers have to DO? and why would i want them? and would it be better to buy a sampler? E5000 than to get the morpheus on its own?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 28-Nov-99  @  09:46 AM   -   RE: z-plane filters from EMU ? to a total rookie

k

Link?:  No link

surely the new sampler has Z-plane doesnt it?... it is on their other hi-end units... like isnt it on the E4 ?

Message 3/3                 Date: 30-Nov-99  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: z-plane filters from EMU ? to a total rookie

ivan

Link?:  No link

It is on their bigger samplers, but only in limited amounts (mostly the morphing filters, but the other filters are smaller versions of them), but I think the Audity 2000 has them in full amounts as well as the Morpheus.

What is it? Other filters are two-dimensional: filter cutoff and resonance. Emu's z-plane filters add other dimensions to this, so that the filter basically is a cube, ie it can move in three dimensions (Z=depth, hence the name). This means you can have filters that move a sound from a lowpass rumble to some kind of highpass or bandpass filter, with any way inbetween. The problem is that this is really hard to control to get musical results, and in the Morpheus you get a couple of hundred filter paths that you can move along with LFOs, controllers etc. It doesn't sound like anything else really, and people with Morpheuses seems really happy with them. It depends on what you want to do with it. A sampler is much more versatile, and to a limited extent you can do the same thing as the Morpheus with the EOS samplers, but also a lot more. But if all you want is airy pads then a Morpheus is better (or a Wavestation, or a MW XT, or maybe even some kind of rompler).

Emu did have a long interview with the people behind the z-plane technology on their old site, but I don't know if it's still there. They can probably get if for you if you ask them nicely.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum