0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: can't decide...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  06:24 AM   -   can't decide...

psychofreak5000

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm wanting to get into sampling and music production but i don't know what kind of gear I should get. Is the Korg Electribe EM1 good for beginers? Any advice would be great.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 41/56                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

errata

Link?:  No link

I made my first piece of music when I was 14. I used a tape based answering machine for looping and a boom box. Just kept dubbing down through the built in mic's... And I used a pair of wooden spoon handles to drum a beat out on the metal speaker grill of the boom box. But I "sampled" the Cocteau Twins too obviously... hey i was only 14!

Also my friend and I used to make dance re-mixes by recording pieces of music from vinyl (we called 'em records back then) onto tape with the pause button. Try looping 4 measures by recording them over and over!!! Damn I was happy when they started making samplers.

e

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 42/56                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  11:42 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

Scott Digweed

hehehe

reminds me of the times me and my buds would record ourselves playing instruments and yelling profane sh!t... the questions were whose boom box was going to take the abuse...  

...and whether yo mamma was gonna beat yo ass if she heard it!  

Message 43/56                 Date: 01-Oct-02  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

yonce n mild

My advice is go cheap first........orion is a great idea....I think the regular version is 50 bucks?? push that as far as you can this will give you a better understanding of what you can and cant do with diffrent types of software/synths/samplers. take your time you don't want to get everything at once, because you don't know how you work or what you want to do yet. after playing around with orion you may decide you want a hardware sampler but you will know what type of features you are looking for....if ya get my drift....just take your time there is no set gear list for making eletronic music....If you play around a bit and decide for yourself what you want/need you'll be alot happier

Message 44/56                 Date: 01-Oct-02  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

xoxos

Link?: Link

i say.. go here ^ download massiva.

in the files section at dancetech, download a couple of vsti.

read the tutorials at webmassiva.

muck around with that for a while = $0 spent. you might find you don't even like making music. you'll gain experience to use for asking further questions and prolly crank out a few tracks.

geez, guys, 6 million posts and none of you can sort him out with some freeware???  

Message 45/56                 Date: 01-Oct-02  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

errata

xoxos - you've spoiled it again. When will you learn, if we consistantly weed out the punters with advice about how difficult it all is, and how expensive it all is it slows the competition. The fewer FLEM's the better...

;)

e

Message 46/56                 Date: 01-Oct-02  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

yonce

massiva supports vsti now ????.......massiva was the first software sequencer i used.....tight little program....I'll have to check out the latest version

Message 47/56                 Date: 02-Oct-02  @  04:09 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

i played around with orion... it's got NO sounds built in to it. I played around with another one called Making Waves (it sucks bad). I can't find anything decent! I have tried Reason yet (40 meg download). I'll try massiva but so far i'vee been a little disappointed with the software samplers.

Message 48/56                 Date: 02-Oct-02  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

k

some mistake there mate - ORION (even the basic orion) comes with 2 drumboxes, sampler, 2 synths, bassline and loads of fx too. Then you can add VSTi's - there's tons of freebies worth using

Message 49/56                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

JX3P0

Link?:  Link

A used EPS16+ keyboard and a K-station
would be a good cheap setup.Throw in a
cheap mixer and a consumer CD-R and you
could make some good stuff.Plus it would be
easy to use and you could play live with it
when you're ready.Those EPS/VFX era
sequencers are easy to use and very
powerful.The K station would give you some
nice new VA sounds and you could record
your demo on a CD-R like a phillips .You
could program just about any style with that
setup too.

H

Message 50/56                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psylichon

true. There are tons of high quality EPS samples out there. I learned to sequence on an EPS-16... good unit.

psylichon

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 56 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum