0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: subwoofer: more problems than good?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 15-Sep-04  @  08:38 PM   -   subwoofer: more problems than good?

Influx

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

hey all. Im in the middle of another fucking MOVE...seems like I should be paid as an expert for this shit

anyway...Ive got a Tannoy PS110b subwoofer, and...Im considering selling it. I could use the $250 or so I could get for it, and...the last place I lived I had a room setup for my studio, with the sub in there, and, to be honest...the mixes I did there ended up coming out bass light!

Ive read that a subwoofer can actually cause more problems than it alleviates...if the room isnt correct?

what i liked though was the high pass feature...go through it to my KRK V6s and suddenly they sound more open, and are able to go a bit louder due to not having to handle low frequencies...

so...sell it or keep it?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/30                 Date: 17-Sep-04  @  01:23 AM   -   RE: subwoofer: more problems than good?

SignalRunners - Andrew

Link?: Link

what about those tapcos from mackie?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/30                 Date: 17-Sep-04  @  01:48 AM   -   RE: subwoofer: more problems than good?

SignalRunners - BLU

yeah, ditch it- i remember you saying you were getting it and thinking wtf?

Hr824's - You had them no? Absolutely frightening things, no extra low end extension required

Aint gonna bark on about em- but we've been doing '1st take' mixes so to speak fer a few tracks now !

blu

Message 13/30                 Date: 17-Sep-04  @  04:35 AM   -   RE: subwoofer: more problems than good?

Pongoid

I'll be the one to chime in here in opposition. while a sub can have ill effects on your mixing if not used correctly, it can also be a CRUCIAL tool for mixes with lots of low end happenings. What, you think just because you can't hear them on a normal system they're gonna turn out ok in a club too, a system that DOES reproduce those freqs? If your mixes are coming out bass-light, then turn the sub down, but you DO want to be able to hear sub-harmonics and cancellations and such. Don't play fuck-around with your system just because you have more percieved efficiency with the high-pass thing going. Dial the crossover point down a bit, and turn the sub down a little so that it's operating in its normal range...as an extreme low-frequency monitoring tool, not a sonic protstate-massage tool. If you need the cash, it's your thing, but don't blind yourself because you don't know how to get an accurate focus. It's NOT an easy tool to use. It's fun, but it can, and obviously has in your case, been a bit misused. Easy mistake to make, most everyone does at first. Just dial down and back. Good luck.

Ape

Message 14/30                 Date: 17-Sep-04  @  05:49 AM   -   RE: subwoofer: more problems than good?

Influx

I actually had it turned down pretty low, homey. I think part of the problem was the room itself

and...it is my understanding that in an untuned room a sub can really be a problem.

can you clarify what you mean about "just because you have more percieved efficiency with the high-pass thing going."

it would seem to me that with the highpass set at 80hz (its fixed) it would allow the mains to work a little easier, and then the sub (I had the crossover set at 100 to cover that middle ground) I would be doing things correctly...

I get where youre comin from, pongoid, and Ill be the first to admit that Im no expert, but at the same time I dont think my implementation of the sub was that inaccurate really.

Message 15/30                 Date: 17-Sep-04  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: subwoofer: more problems than good?

SignalRunners - Andrew

if your mixes sound better when you use a subwoofer, use it. if they dont, dont-

they work for some people, i dont like using one at all personally.

Message 16/30                 Date: 17-Sep-04  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: subwoofer: more problems than good?

k

Link?:  Link

of course you could always shelve off the bottom end at 60-40hz...  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 17/30                 Date: 17-Sep-04  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: subwoofer: more problems than good?

Influx

that would be stupid, really

Message 18/30                 Date: 17-Sep-04  @  08:53 PM   -   RE: subwoofer: more problems than good?

Pongoid

your KRKs probably start to roll off around 50 hz. Set the crossover at 55 on the sub.

Ape

Message 19/30                 Date: 18-Sep-04  @  06:54 AM   -   RE: subwoofer: more problems than good?

Influx

right, but if Im cabling through the sub...using the subs highpass output, which is fixed at 80?

Message 20/30                 Date: 18-Sep-04  @  07:21 AM   -   RE: subwoofer: more problems than good?

urbicide

well, I think a good idea would be to just monitor with the krk's when your tooling
around and making the track... Then when your finished, check the mix out with
the sub connected with the krk's. Other than that, I would sell it.... Headphones
can do a good job as does a good bass boost on the krk's. The krk's might not be
meant for it, but it might pull some things out... You might also consider what your
going to use the 250 for. If its not essential, plan accordingly. I'm sure you've done
this already but at times I have made a choice that I come to later knowing, I
shouldn't have sold this certain peice of equipment.

another thing, having sooo much bass makes you concentrate on the low end
more often than needed. You might leave out the really important things. This may
be a far off observation but it may have a point to you.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum