0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: arturia spark drum machine

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 20-Feb-13  @  12:30 AM     Edit: 08-May-13  |  01:47 PM   -   RE: arturia spark drum machine

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

got one on review now, so shall start this thread to add updates on the review uploads.

Ok, there's a few final bits such as 'preferences' being rendered and uploaded in the next 24 hours, but most of it is online, including a full controller tutorial.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 22-Feb-13  @  01:54 PM     Edit: 03-Mar-13  |  11:33 PM   -   RE: arturia spark drum machine

k

well seeing as the review is video, i'll add some dairy notes here so google gets some text to follow also.

THE SPARK HARDWARE CONTROLLER

The controller unit seems very well made considering the price which of course includes the software and the content. I expected something a bit lighter and more plasticky but it is solid and well made, having a one piece solid metal-sheet top panel and weighing in at around 5-6 lbs in weight.

The controller has a 9v DC p/s connector - for use if your USB connection fails to supply sufficient power - and this socket is accompanied by an on/off switch as well as traditional MIDI in & out, so you get a free MIDI interfce for the money basically & the unit comes with a second dedicated MIDI program specifically for configuring it for controlling other hardware & s/w.

Interestingly it turns out that the on/off switch doesn't only function if using a 9v DC supply, but also works to power the unit up/down when powered by USB alone, allowing you to power up/down the unit without having to disconnect the USB lead.

The software, sounds, and first use

Initial messing shows that while some of the 'immitations' aren't very accurate (808/909), the included sounds overall are good, with lots of variety, from impressions of old drum boxes to acoustic drums and synth sounds.

The Spark software has it's own internal sequencer, from which you can drag/drop patterns to your DAW sequencer tracks, but I've also briefly messed with running it in Logic as a plugin instrument, and so far i've managed to get it to write midi from it's pads to the Logic sequencer and playback that midi ok. It also clocks to the DAW sequencer pretty easily, but sadly, so far it seems you can't run SPARK as a master clock, controlling your DAW sequencer (pretty sure it cant).

Software install & some issues/problems

More experimenting is required, but install of the software was quite problematic tbh, due partly to a not very well written manual (possibly it's been translated from French, the nationality of the Arturia company).

You get a DVD installer in the package, I ran it, and THEN updated from Arturia's website, only to find that the update included the entire content all over again, making the update around 850mb download (compressed).

So really there's no point installing the DVD and then updating; you might as well just download the latest version and install that cos everything get's overwritten anyways.

The current version at time of writing this, is 1.5, and this installer has a missing sample in one of the kits which causes the whole SPARK system to go silent when you try and load that one kit. You load the kit with the missing sample and it fails to load, but after that it doesn't want to make a sound anymore even if you load a different kit, and you have to reboot the s/w.

The missing sample is a tom or crash, it should be inside a folder called something like 'tom 2', but when you check, there is only a folder called 'tom 1', This is easily fixed however by simply going to the path location listed in the error pop-up, finding the kit folder, locating the tom folder, copying it, pasting it and re-naming it as 'tom 2', and then it all works fine again.

In fact generally it seemed a bit flakey after i did the s/w update  - and i hadn;t yet updated the hardware controller firmware which was also popping up flags saying it was out of date.

So i simply removed all SPARK components, re-installed from the update copy (1.5), then updated the firmware... then fixed the missing tom-sample problem... and since then it's never crashed so far and works 100% (so far)

I was a bit amazed Arturia didnt catch this missing sample issue cos anyone installing the update and trying to load all the kits would see this happen.

Can the controller trigger and write notes for other drum software?

Yes!, but I need to learn more about this - i have had the SPARK controller pads playing Logic's Ultrabeat drumbox, you just have to transpose the Ultrabeat track cos the Spark by default doesnt seem to chuck out the notes stating with a kickdrum on C1 in the traditional GM midi style. No doubt I can change that, but I need to learn more.

Multiple (but limited) installs of the software IS permissable

Oh yes btw, I had asked Arturia about using the SPARK for doing sessions in other studios. I assumed the SPARK s/w would be dependant on the controller unit being present to run, but no, it is also a stand alone s/w app.

Initially Arturia UK said you could only install the SPARK s/w on a single computer, and thus one couldn't take it to a studio, install the s/w and do your session.

But then yesterday they said they had checked this with head office, and actually the head office said you can install the s/w on 3 machines, meaning you can have it on your home studio computer, your writing partner's computer for example and another studio machine! Very generous. Well at the least you CAN install the SPARK s/w on several of your own (or others) machines, something wich is usually forbidden, so that's quite generous.

ok, back with more soon

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7                 Date: 03-Mar-13  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: arturia spark drum machine

k

updated the above info - it is 3 installs you can do, the s/w does communicate with the server when you use the activation code, so it works like that.

Using long loops and other audio parts

one thing i've experimented with is loading in full verse vocal parts to a pad and triggering them in sync with the beat..... they play all the way thru till end of sample; so if they are sync'd right, there's your vocal parts for live such as bv's or hooks or whole choruses if required. Obviously longer parts are best split into phrases and triggered at the right beat.

you can trim samples top/tail in the sample window, so for a vocal in say 4 lines, you can load it as one long audio-sample, then copy it to 3 other pads and trim the start/end correctly for each line start/end-time.

Sadly so far i aint found a way to zoom the sample display, meaning trimming longer sample hooks & loops accurately isn't so not easy. (yes i realise u can trim them in an editor prior to import, but that's something a good mpc/sampler style unit should do.

other tricks u can do is, say you want to play 4 note bassline with a beat. You load and find a good starting bass sound, edit it to what u want, then drag & drop it onto 3 other pads, it copies over the edit you did rather than the raw sample or modelled sound. So you can make your required sound, then copy it to the required number of pads for the melody, then simply tune the pads to the notes in the melody & play in your pattern.

Further tweaking of the individual pads comprising the melody/bassline can be made to have differing filter, velocity etc, per-step/note to enhance a pattern.

IT DOES VERY DEEP BASS and you can tune the basses by hz.

Mute grouping

the mute button when latched allows you to mute pads, , but it does group muting too which is very useful to drop out a section of your sounds. (like all synth parts and leave just the kit).

You can latch the MUTE button, add-in some pads to the mute, then de-latch the mute button. Latch it in again to drop out the group of pads which were muted.

for bringing stuff in and out of the mix the solo button works better for me, more immeadiate. But it can get confusing if you arent careful, lol using mute and solo in a mix. needs planning. lol

Message 4/7                 Date: 08-May-13  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: arturia spark drum machine

k

added video now to the start of this thread.

Message 5/7                 Date: 12-May-13  @  12:12 AM   -   RE: arturia spark drum machine

k

been messing with it more.

playing and creating patterns using an attached drum module, sampler etc

you can play & create patterns in Sparks sequencer using an external hardware drum module, sampler etc. This requires no special setups, you just need a special 'Project' to be loaded which has NO instruments installed on the pads, so they are free to trigger any external module without also triggering an Internal sound on the pad.

You can also sequence an external module and have internal sounds also in the same pattern.

Spark as a straight MIDI in/out device

When the spark software is NOT running but the unit is simply plugged in via USB, then the Spark hardware acts as a regular traditional MIDI In & Out for your sequencer such as logic, cubase etc.

Message 6/7                 Date: 26-May-13  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: arturia spark drum machine

k

bump

Message 7/7                 Date: 20-Jun-13  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: arturia spark drum machine

k

More spark videos - undocumented stuff spark can do.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLr9cxz51sxbzrsORP1rr_pzkN8OJXr0H0

ignore 1st video which is the IAC driver fix.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum