0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Do You Swing?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 24-Jan-09  @  03:34 PM     Edit: 24-Jan-09  |  03:36 PM   -   Do You Swing?

Alan Blu

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok everybody, bring your wife and put the house keys in the bowl.....

Ok ok, now I got my Jockism out the way lets discuss swing grooves!

Ive been doing logic / 16c out of habit for ages now but as cubase 5 is dropping on us (and I
am reminded of how great it was handling audio editing etc), I wonder if there's life past my 16c
and occasionally 16e bubble...

Do you swing quantize your sequencer? What's your golden groove? Whats your weapon of
choice when it comes to sequencing?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 27-Jan-09  @  10:03 PM   -   RE: Do You Swing?

Milan

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

well first of all you should put a warning on this thread! ^an amusing picture taken at a heavy machinery exhibition should do.

second, I'm surprised you use 16C for trance? really?

third: not being so ambitious, i use normally 16B, or sometimes 16C if i want things to be really swinging. I used to experiment with all the advanced swing options in Logic, like custom swing, untill i realized I'm just too lazy.

what i actually meant to say is: how's things dude? you and Andrew still doing the trance thing? i produced exactly one (relatively) finished thing in past two years. this "life" thing keeps on getting in the way...

Message 3/7                 Date: 27-Jan-09  @  11:31 PM     Edit: 27-Jan-09  |  11:32 PM   -   RE: Do You Swing?

Alan Blu

Hey Milan, long time!

Yeah 16c is what I have been sticking to for a while now, but ive been trying out 16e for the
really
clunky stuff.

I suppose the tempos im at now allow for the swing (125-132 bpm) - I don't even know
technically
that the stuff is 100% trance actually, maybe more tech house with trance elements &
breakdowns,
but I think because of the higher tempo stuff from a few years ago we are branded as trance
still so
is all good

But yeah, all is going well up to now - hoping to do a proper album this year fingers crossed -
thatll be a mixture of styles so could be interesting! src='images/hammer.gif'>

Alan

Message 4/7                 Date: 28-Jan-09  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: Do You Swing?

k

any examples of some of your music with a swing in it online?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/7                 Date: 30-Jan-09  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: Do You Swing?

nme

Alan Blu wrote:

Ok everybody, bring your wife and put the house keys in the bowl.....

Fek that.....Im not falling for that one again!

Last time I did that I went home with a Ford Cortina!!!!

S'pose I shud have sussed it sooner when I noticed the numbers wernt even!!!! lol

Message 6/7                 Date: 11-May-09  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: Do You Swing?

Malcolm Jeffery

I find swings in logic like 16b,c,d, push the whole pattern forward to much, lets say its high hats, best thing to do is use the quantize u want then delay the whole pattern with the delay in the same area as quant and it slips back over say the kick drum better whilist still swinging.

Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 7/7                 Date: 15-May-09  @  03:54 PM   -   RE: Do You Swing?

Steve Roughley

I used to use the swing functions alot! For house I would always tend to c or d on the 16ths. Now, I'll program the hits to a straight 16th grid, but then zoom right in and drag the notes to where I want them. I quite like using simple drum patterns and have found that playing around with where the hits fall produces some really cool swing effects. Especially if you are after a live feel to your drum track.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum