0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: nerd alert - did anyone see ....?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 26-Jul-07  @  01:33 PM   -   nerd alert - did anyone see ....?

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

there was 2 awesome doc's on bbc 4 last night - one about trying to achieve absolute zero kelvin in a lab and the other was about the search for a prime number zero sequence proof

what i found interesting about the second one was that Gauss made two dice, one with 8 sides and one with 12 sides to try to calculate a pattern of occurance

then later some guy used geometry, anyways interestingly in islamic geometry those shapes/patterns like you see in the alhambra etc resolve always to 8 or 12 , wierd

there is some old saying in Islamic geometry about "If you study this geometry, therein lies all the secrets of the universe"

bizzare stuff anyways, but there was one thing they never explained which was this continual reference to positions of zeros in a line, but they didnt explain what that meant, damn!

anyone see it? amazing stuff

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 27-Jul-07  @  09:45 AM   -   RE: nerd alert - did anyone see ....?

monkeybasket2001

Link?:  No link

nah i got my free view box yesterday- just missed it! hopefully they will repeat... if not will try get it from somewhere sounds- facsinating...

as was this (until i stopped understanding it!)

New Scientist

Message 3/10                 Date: 27-Jul-07  @  12:56 PM   -   RE: nerd alert - did anyone see ....?

k

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/absolute-zero.shtml

i wish it was online to watch

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/10                 Date: 28-Jul-07  @  09:42 AM   -   RE: nerd alert - did anyone see ....?

Bedwyr

Link?: Link

missed it too. there was another program about music and prime numbers i missed as well, 'music of the primes' i think it was called.

Message 5/10                 Date: 28-Jul-07  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: nerd alert - did anyone see ....?

k

that was the one we're talking about mate, but it weasnt actualy about anything musical as the title suggests

Message 6/10                 Date: 28-Jul-07  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: nerd alert - did anyone see ....?

Bedwyr

it was listed on bbc2 on Wednesday 11.50pm, The Music of the Primes: "Marcus du Sautoy investigates how musicians have interpreted a prime number pattern"

?

Message 7/10                 Date: 28-Jul-07  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: nerd alert - did anyone see ....?

Bedwyr

talking of nerds .. i've been mostly watching computer science lecture videos

ars digita the shai simonson fella is a great lecturer, if you're into discrete maths, algorithms and theory of computation.

only real video on there, but i''ve downloaded them all and converted to dvds. and what a pain in the arse that is, i always hated real video, now i'm pathological.

check here for more science videos

and here

google and yahoo have some cool lectures and talks up as well.

Message 8/10                 Date: 29-Jul-07  @  04:16 AM   -   RE: nerd alert - did anyone see ....?

Musineer Productions

Good 'ol DT, just the thread for this mood.

Good thread. Not sure what Islamic geometry is though  I thought maths was above that sort of thing. I agree with you, it's fascinating stuff. By the zeros in line, did they mean a 'nothing' in a sequence? As in the number 20302? I believe the Arabs were the first to use this idea a long, long time ago. I think the shape of our numbers is also from the Arabs isn't it? On a course I did, I was told that each numeric symbol had a corresponding number of angles; so 0 has no angles, 1 has one, 2 has two, etc. (It's necessary to get a bit arty in places but it's a great idea all the same)

New Scientist always has something to ponder on.

Great links Bedwyr. That free uni looks interesting. Sometimes though, I think that however the physical laws worked out, there would be an entity marvelling at how well crafted it all is for their particular existence.

Message 9/10                 Date: 30-Jul-07  @  01:37 PM   -   RE: nerd alert - did anyone see ....?

k

File?:  [image]

[image file]

i dunno what they meant by the zeros, it wasnt made clear at all, cant find anything mentioning it in wiki's basic prime number page either

i just suspect something about a relationship, that it has to be converted into a 3d model to work at which ppoint by bending it it will resolve perfectly somehow

anyways look what you can make with a light wave (attached picture) resolves beautifuly to octagons, but getting it to resolve is the question

i made that using the transverse light wave located here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_Wave

Message 10/10                 Date: 30-Jul-07  @  01:54 PM   -   RE: nerd alert - did anyone see ....?

k

File?:  [image]

[image file]

you can arrange them like this also, again getting it to resolve is an issue

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum