0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: George Melly - RIP

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5                 Date: 06-Jul-07  @  09:28 PM   -   George Melly - RIP

Bedwyr

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

ceci n'est pas une obituary.

that george melly fella died the other day. trad jazz posh scouser dadaist singer.

anyway, saw him last year at brecon jazz, his 80th birthday concert. Bought tickets coz my girlfriend is a fan of his writing (check out Revolt Into Style - The Pop Arts In Britain). I was expecting some trad jazz easy listening night out. Turned out to be the best thing i've seen at brecon jazz festival in 10 years of playing and 3 of being a punter.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/5                 Date: 07-Jul-07  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: George Melly - RIP

Zazza

Link?:  No link

Why was it so good Beds?

Message 3/5                 Date: 08-Jul-07  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: George Melly - RIP

k

Link?:  Link

he was a supporter of The Sex Maniacs Ball afaik.... can't remember the charity they work under but they use the funds to lobby parliment for sensible sex laws, such as the legalisation of prostitution

also a keen fly fisherman i believe

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/5                 Date: 08-Jul-07  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: George Melly - RIP

Bedwyr

yeah he used to own another home on the river usk, mile of river included.

the gig was great because it had the right combination of shock and awe with no pofaced jazz wanking in sight. great players, no showboating, melly himself just sang well, hitting notes spot on and his timing was sublime sometimes. he came on stage in a homer style man dress made of red velvet with white cuffs, looked like father christmas, whisky and cigar, sat down on a throne and just hit the notes, entertained, was louche, dirty and cool. and if louche, dirty and cool ins't good enough i don't know what is.

Message 5/5                 Date: 12-Jul-07  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: George Melly - RIP

Jock Munro

George Melly doesnt like me. He was performing at one of the Maidstone River Festivals during the day, just at the same time we decided to soundcheck our 40k JBL rig for our evening live set. We drowned out his performance, to which he asked one of the organisers "who are those pig ignorant youngsters up in that multi-story car park".

We did our live set in a multi-story car park, with the PA on one level, us on another, with fireworks on the roof.

I feel quite bad about that now. Poor George.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum