0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: ye good ol' days

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 08-Dec-06  @  01:40 PM   -   ye good ol' days

sitar

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

This got more interesting as it went on.

LIFE IN THE 1500'S

The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be. Here are some facts about the 1500s:

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were starting to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the saying, Don't throw the baby out with the bath water..

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying . It's raining cats and dogs.

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house..
This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying, dirt poor. The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh
(straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entranceway.
Hence the word threshold.

(Getting quite an education, aren't you?)

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme, Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old..

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could bring home the bacon. They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat..

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial.
They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be saved by the bell or was considered a ...dead ringer..

And that's the truth...Now, whoever said History was boring ! ! !

Educate someone. Share these facts with a friend

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 08-Dec-06  @  05:37 PM   -   RE: ye good ol' days

milan

wow... did you know that there are a million threads out there dedicated to proving or dissaproving that article?

it gets even more hilarious since basicaly no one knows what they are taking bout.

i find that article horribly innacurate, but this one is probably even worse:

http://www.traditioninaction.org/History/A_005_Myths1500s.shtml

Message 3/11                 Date: 08-Dec-06  @  05:45 PM   -   RE: ye good ol' days

milan

and then you have this guy:

http://www.snopes2.com/language/phrases/1500.htm

anyway... lot of that sounds like either bollox to me, or completely twisted to make it sound more entertaing

Message 4/11                 Date: 09-Dec-06  @  01:38 AM   -   RE: ye good ol' days

sitar

I kinda figured so. but you have to wonder where a lot of expressions we use or have heard come from.

Message 5/11                 Date: 09-Dec-06  @  02:57 AM   -   RE: ye good ol' days

Musineer Productions

Ho Ho

Just enough feasibility to keep you reading, but with a conspiracy-theorist's twist that makes you mutter 'bollocks, bollocks, that's bollocks, more bollocks', etc

I've been to what is said to be Our Bill's house in Stratford, and they do say the floor was covered in straw, which was added to until spring, when they had a 'spring clean' and started all over again. Bill would have lived in what for us would be crowded and rancid conditions. Perhaps that's why he skuttled off to London and brown-nosed the royal court (where space and clean water were plenty).

And having a bath meant contact with water, and water carries diseases, so plebians would avoid water. They didn't drink much water either for the same reason, instead brewing it to make a nourishing ale of which they drank several (average 12 pints) mugs a day.

Btw, longer straw was more comfortable - hence the expression 'short-straw' to mean bad luck

They also used to tie a string on a frog and swallow it, then pull it back up, believing the slime to be soothing and medicinal - hence the expression 'a frog in my throat'.

Oh, and wake is Old Scandnavian (Norse) for a virgil, a period of observing rather than participating - hence the same term for holidays in the north of England.

And finally the graveyard bit. Of course, the UK is very small and we have been here for many thousands of years (there is scientific data that stonhenge is about 5000yrs old I believe, and it's a nipper in comparison to some others), but when we evict a corpse from its grave we don't send the bones to a 'bone-house' (who would look after them - how would the bones be kept separate?), we make a small building (more like a small shed really) out of the ancestral bones. This is kept in the garden by poor people and in the attics of the wealthy, and venerated annually. It's against the law to dig up someone without ancestors.

Message 6/11                 Date: 09-Dec-06  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: ye good ol' days

k

Link?:  Link

heh, you forgot one Sitar.... during this period most of your jokes originated rofl

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/11                 Date: 12-Dec-06  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: ye good ol' days

sitar

haha k! so true. thus the phrase no good deed goes unpunned.

Message 8/11                 Date: 12-Dec-06  @  10:30 PM   -   RE: ye good ol' days

nutoniom

quite frankly, i was sure sitar wrote the whole thing up

Message 9/11                 Date: 13-Dec-06  @  08:08 PM     Edit: 13-Dec-06  |  08:10 PM   -   RE: ye good ol' days

sitar

I only wish. Had I lived back then I surely would've gotten things kicked off in that direction.

I've been on a roll while playing World of Warcraft the last few days. My player name is TwelveLions but players call me 12 because it's faster to type. So the other day I told them there is a woman at work named 11 who went into a manager and complained that I was always after her.

Message 10/11                 Date: 13-Dec-06  @  10:43 PM   -   RE: ye good ol' days

milan

siiiiitaaaaaaar!!!

Message 11/11                 Date: 14-Dec-06  @  01:53 PM   -   RE: ye good ol' days

sitar

:P

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum