0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: soundcraft compact 10

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 19-Jan-05  @  02:38 PM   -   soundcraft compact 10

darin

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

short review

okay - here's a short review of the Soundcraft Compact 10.

Very small - no p/s or power button - wall wort only. Kinda annoying, but not the end of the world. Makes replacing a faulty/cheap p/s very easy.

The EQ section appears to be relatively quiet, and relatively transparent. They seem similar to the Mackie in that respect. Doesn't have the musical Brittish EQ that I loved about the Allen & Heath.

Knobs, not faders. Kinda annoying, but for a small project studio, it's suitable. No aux sends/returns, and inserts on the first 4 mono channels only. D/I input for instruments, and low cut filters (hipass) on 2 channels only. There are 2 headphones outs, each with their own fader, and very useful for a small project studio where you bring in a musician occasionally.

It is really ideal for pc based recording. The language on the board is very easy to understand, and explain the use of each out clearly. No messing around with aux/sends to send audio to the pc and no fear of looping. It is really ideal for newbies who have no experience with a bigger board, and cool for me who just wanted to simplify the whole process.

There are separate outs for monitoring (speakers) and recording - simply press teh red button at the bottom of the channel strip (labeled rec) and the audio is routed to the record outs and to your pc. Done recording? Depress the red button and the audio is routed back into the main mix to the monitors.

Getting the audio back to the mixer is easy as there is a rec in inputs that DOES not go directly to the main mix and back out the rec outputs therefore eliminating the possibility of looping.

I haven't used the preamps yet (and probably won't as I have outboard gear for that).

Ultimately, for $195 (from Novamusik.com), it's a nice little mixer. I was primarily concerned with the board being quiet, and there are no crappy fx to add to the price. It is ideal for my application - a couple of synths, a pc, some outboard stuff, and some accoustic instruments and mics. I think that I will miss the aux send/return of the more fully featured board, but for $195, I'll live with it. It's also very small (and thin) so if space is an issue, this is something to consider.

One thing to note, the mixer is mostly plastic, so I wouldn't recommend doing lots of gigging with it. If you keep in your home, it shouldn't be a problem.

Bottom line - good for what it is and what it is for. You could spend more and get more features, but if simplicity is what you are after, this is a good option.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 19-Jan-05  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: soundcraft compact 10

k

Link?:  Link

excellent man - I took the liberty of adding it to the listings

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/3                 Date: 19-Jan-05  @  05:44 PM   -   RE: soundcraft compact 10

darin

Link?:  No link

Thanks k - I think this also applies to the Compact 4 as the 4 is very similar to the 10 with fewer inputs. There are some other changes, as well, but doesn't change the meat of my review.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum