0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: compact project studio mixers

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 08-Jan-05  @  04:30 PM   -   compact project studio mixers

Darin

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey all,
I'm looking to add a small mixer to my setup. I want to route some mics and synths to my pc for production and I need something small and quiet. EQ is not important, nor are channel inserts or fx, so quality in that department is unnecessary. I saw that Soundcraft is making a Compact 10 that looks nice, and both Samson and Alesis are doing this as well. Anyone using any of these?

I have thought about a used Mackie 1202, but I can't seem to find anyone selling these, and it looks like the prices that people are asking for them are similar to the price of the Soundcraft and Alesis new so I'd prefer to go the new route.

I have used plenty of Mackie's before and I recently sold my Allen & Heath (I didn't need all the channels because I have sold most of my equipment) and I really like how quiet the Mackie was (considering the price) and the Allen & Heath, well, you know what you are getting there.

Anyhow, anyone using any of the above mentioned and what do you think? I am really looking for a transparent mixer, something simple to route my synths to the computer for production purposes. Thanks.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 08-Jan-05  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: compact project studio mixers

k

Link?:  Link

er.... you want to route them all to STEREO ?

how many inputs on your soundcard? - or do you mix the stereo PC audio alongside outboard on the mixer?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7                 Date: 08-Jan-05  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: compact project studio mixers

Darin

yo k

What I've done in the past, and probably would like to continue because I am comfortable with it (if there's a better way, let me know), is monitor my synths through the h/w mixer, and route the pc audio into the mixer via an aux return, or cd/tape input, and monitor the pc audio that way. By routing the synths and mics through the mixer, I can use the aux sends to route the synth/mic audio to the pc for recording.

I have a aardvark LX6 soundcard with 4 trs ins, 4 trs outs, 2 rca outs, spdif i/o and midi i/o.

by using the aux send and returns, I can selectively route certain audio to the pc while still being able to listen to the mix as a whole.

I would like to be able to send the synth audio to the pc in stereo, as well as monitor the pc audio in stereo. The LX6 allows me to record in dual stereo, 1 stereo 2 mono, and 4 mono.

Message 4/7                 Date: 12-Jan-05  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: compact project studio mixers

Influx1

Link?: Link

just a suggestion, but...have you considered the MOTU 828MKII?

8 in, 8 out, adatIO, one headphone output, and firewire. It works as a mixer AND an audio interface. So..depending on how many synths and mics you have, you could plug them into the 828, leave em, and just choose the input for recording into when youre ready, and you can eliminate that gain stage of a mixer which could potentially add noise.

Message 5/7                 Date: 12-Jan-05  @  04:57 PM   -   RE: compact project studio mixers

Darin

Hey Dave,
yeah - I've thought about it, but I really don't want to spend that much money. Used you are looking at $400 (roughly - gotta figure shipping and such) and new they are more than that. Plus, given my history with PC components, I'm scared... I just prefer h/w. Plus, when I need to sell it, I'll have a wider audience to sell to.

I ordered a Soundcraft Compact 10 - it should be arriving on Friday. I'll do a little review after I've had some time with it. It has some really cool features that shows Soundcraft was thinking of the amatuer project studio in mind. I got it from Novamusik for $195 with free shipping after I notified them their price was not competitive (they wanted $239 when Sweetwater and Zzounds was asking $199 with free shipping and conditional free shipping, respectively). As usual, Novamusik was right on with it. I love doing business with them.

I just can't believe I sold my Microwave XT...

Message 6/7                 Date: 12-Jan-05  @  08:56 PM   -   RE: compact project studio mixers

Influx1

Link?: Link

I didnt realize it was you D.

the used 828MKII is even more than $400...$500+ usually

thing is..it works as a standalone, too

but if youre stayin in the HW realm, then...sounds like youre sorted!

Message 7/7                 Date: 12-Jan-05  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: compact project studio mixers

Darin

Yeah, it's me. Shhhh, don't tell anyone...

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum