0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/21                 Date: 06-Oct-04  @  06:04 PM   -   OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Place a bucket or absorbant material under your chin prior to looking at this

oh god... seriously for pro studio use/price only tho..... 12,000 bucks.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/21                 Date: 06-Oct-04  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

k

interestingly, both the Mackie & the new Tascam were designed in collaboration with Sanewave

see link

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/21                 Date: 06-Oct-04  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

Influx

just dont see the point in having an outboard mixer anymore..especially digital!

Message 4/21                 Date: 06-Oct-04  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

craig

I'd still be lost without mine. It's the front door in and out of the audio realm for my studio.

Message 5/21                 Date: 07-Oct-04  @  03:09 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

Dominic

Link?:  No link

You reckon Influx?!? Any studio hardware that contributes to a "non digital" sound is paramount in my opinion.

Message 6/21                 Date: 07-Oct-04  @  03:36 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

k

Link?:  Link

dude, that mackie runs VST fx, and can process sound onboard in the digital domain - currently only uses WAVES and UAD card, but no doubt the list will grow.

it's not just a controller for your DAW

Message 7/21                 Date: 07-Oct-04  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

Influx

my statement was very very very off the cuff, and I really dont mean that...

I just...at this point...an incredibly expensive digital mixer seems kinda funny. the specs look sick, but..its digital! Wouldnt one be able to achieve the same sound in a native system?

dont get me wrong..if I had the space and cash Id have a high quality "soundy" analog console with plenty of options for compression and the like...

Message 8/21                 Date: 07-Oct-04  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

Influx

heh...reading it...yeah...looks fckin badass

but in response to dominic...how is a digital mixer gonna sound anything but "digital?"

damn...you can plug a UAD-1 into the thing! phew

Message 9/21                 Date: 07-Oct-04  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

k

agreed, it's no different to going in to a DAW, in this case the mixer itself acts as the interface being able to utilise adat cards, line/mic & seperate Line or mic input cards for up to 96 inputs I think it is, all controllable on the board, all pre-amps etc etc... just bolt it onto whatever is your current pc/mac.

ok, 10 K in the Uk, and 10$ k in the USA - it's alot, but when you consider similarly top-end hardware systems, the mackie can interface totaly with any pro sequencer I'd expect.

it's compact, touch sensitive, a hub, and if you make audio for a living and do reasonably well, it's an easy business expense, all the european ones are pre-sold already so the Mackie guy told me. They are going to bring one over for a days demo which I can video apparently, athough no doubt it'll be a while before it happens - I'd have one for sure and of course you can utilise hardware outboard with it

Message 10/21                 Date: 07-Oct-04  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

k

plus it'd look SO kickass man when your clients visited it'd prolly pay for itself in a pro situation in a year

Hey dont get me wrong tho, my dream studio would ALSO have a full 24 tracks analog setup!

Message 11/21                 Date: 08-Oct-04  @  12:24 AM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

Influx

it definitely looks impressive. talk about a fckin control station!

Message 12/21                 Date: 08-Oct-04  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

k

phwoooar!... doesn't it! - Those touch screens are awesome!

Message 13/21                 Date: 19-Oct-04  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

Pongoid

For the price, I could get a DM-24, a Midas Venice 240, a G5, and a set of HD-1s, plus all the softs and plugs I'd need. That's more than just a front end or station for that cash, apart from mics, compressoers and some bits and bobs, that's a full studio. The Mackie seems nice, of course, but for the money, there's 24+ digital and 24 tracks of nice warm analog, plus a real workhorse behind it, and the ability to hear what you're doing.

Ape

Message 14/21                 Date: 19-Oct-04  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

milan

Tascam DM24? thats so last century dude . and i heard Venice is built in germany by Dynacord or someone nowadays. might be a reason most folks i work for still use A&H for small format live consoles.

touch screens are so 'now', innit

Message 15/21                 Date: 19-Oct-04  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

k

yeah.... especialy playing 'Trivial Persuits' on the touch screen bar-top machine in the pub  

Message 16/21                 Date: 20-Oct-04  @  07:23 AM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

psylichon

I can't tell you how important the words "instant total recall" have become nowadays. If you cut to the box, edit in the box, and use plugins in the box, I see no reason to add an external mixer in this day and age unless it's analog and provides sound. If you can't get over the need for a hardware paradigm, frankly, you're falling behind. Control surfaces can provide you with all the hands-on control you should need. But honestly, I don't ever see myself moving faster in Pro-Tools with a Control 24 than I do with keys and a trackball. Then again, PT has the most sheer amount of keyboard shortcuts that I've ever seen in a program.

Message 17/21                 Date: 20-Oct-04  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

k

oooo i dunno - LOGICS key commands section has a bloody search function it's so big!!!

Message 18/21                 Date: 20-Oct-04  @  07:37 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

SignalRunners - BLU

thing ive been wondering recently, with all the digital stuff and such :-

in the past, regarding equipment like a mixer/signal ive always went with the best and most expensive thing i could manage to afford/scrape enough together for, like Mackie etc (and current 32/8 desk), but-

I was watching that video for the controllers k did - and i was really impressed by the way the whole thing worked, i probably dont have a purpose just now for one (not right now i dont think) but even tho i was really impressed at price of this box for what it does i couldnt help noticing a nagging 'what u doing blu! its a berry! its a berry! its a berry! dont you dare!' from the back of my mind

but surely now, were into some serious ones n zeros with all this new digital mixer/controller stuff, and thats all no? I.e apart from build quality, and perhaps convertors/clock software, there really all doing the same thing with perfect matching results, after all its basically just calculating binary code, no? Before, you would buy a mackie over a beringher becuase you knew it would just be plain better ( better build, quality, noise ratio, performance) but now, do the prices still need to remain so huge between digital products? (especially controllers etc where brand names seem to be the diff between a bargain and serious overtime at work)

This post probably doesnt completey fit to this thread, just throwing down my thoughts after looking at that sexy mackie.

blu

Message 19/21                 Date: 21-Oct-04  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

Pongoid

" If you cut to the box, edit in the box, and use plugins in the box, I see no reason to add an external mixer in this day and age unless it's analog and provides sound."

Well that's what the Midas is for, isn't it? Analog summing. Nothing like it. Can't afford the API units for the price of the Mackie.

psyl, you'd do well to take a look and find what Rupert Neve has to say about digital recording, and its effects on humanity, seriously.

As far as moving forward with just analog equipment....people do it every day. Digital stuff is all calculations and limited by the imaginations of the people that conceive them. Analog is the capturing and directing of physical properties of nature, and refining them. Nature and the power of it are infinately greater, faster, and more sublime than our minds or egos.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of The Force." -D. Vader

Besides, when was it ever about being behind or ahead? You think the constantly increasing sophistication of technology is going to make the quality of composition and performance better? All the technologically advanced equipment in the world are no match for a pair of good ears, and a creative heart, leaping ahead, falling behind, or otherwise.

Ape

Message 20/21                 Date: 21-Oct-04  @  06:37 AM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

psylichon

I just believe that workflow is more important to the final outcome of a track than the actual physics of sound reproduction and manipulation. I understand that analog produces certain harmonics that are pleasing to the human ear, and posseses a certain compression and blending quality, and that's why people think it sounds better. But if you're a digital engineer, like I've become, it is counterproductive to try and work in that paradigm. You will get the best sound using the tools that you are most comfortable with. I think it's important to understand when a where a tool is most useful. The way I work at the studio now, I rely on a warm, clean, analog frontend, cut at 24/96, and mix in the box. My boss mixes from 24/96 to analog euphonix... we both turn out fine mixes because we both have our way of working.

Message 21/21                 Date: 21-Oct-04  @  01:55 PM   -   RE: OH F***!!!! - i WANT ONE!!!

k

well the beauty is, cheap (Behringer) or expensive (SAC etc), the actualy DATA isnt compromised, so that IS different - in the case of analog, cheaper means a lesser signal quality usualy (albeit not a huge difference) - but with controler mixers the 'quality' of the data is still inside the pc/mac regardless of the price of the controller

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum