0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Which mixing desk to buy?

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/26                 Date: 17-Aug-04  @  12:32 AM   -   Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm looking into buying a mixing desk for a small home setup. Although it's only really for bedroom use at the moment, it may be used for more in the future (maybe some live work or some better quality recording). I still need quite a few inputs (drummer) and don't really want a crappy one that I'll have to change in the future. Obviously it needs to have XLR inputs and 48v, which I'm assuming most do. I would also like some kind of EQ or effects built in. My budget is around £250 and I really like the look of the Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro. Has anybody used one of these before, and if so then could you please give me some good and bad points about it. Is it worth the money and will it be suitable for me? Another thing that I've noticed with some small mixers is that they can generate some hiss, is this desk likely to do this? Does it have decent pre-amps? Thanks a lot

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/26                 Date: 17-Aug-04  @  01:15 AM     Edit: 17-Aug-04  |  01:19 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

SignalRunners - BLU

Link?: Link

Yes it is likely- berry gear is absolute garbage

whats your aim? if for fun, buy loadsa input cheap circuitry gear defo-

if not, simply just buy mackie

1202 vlz pro range and up to what u can afford (12/14/16 etc) - gauranteed hiss free, solid eq , top quality recording

what your recoding into is a whole different matter .........

blu

Message 3/26                 Date: 17-Aug-04  @  12:44 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Dominic

yer exactly. If you just want a desk just to monitor back then you could go for a crap one like beringer and save up for a decent focusrite trackor. But it sounds like you're gonna need at least 7 inputs (8 if you wanna use a sm57 on the bottom of the snare) so probably as already said you're going to need a mackie desk which is cool cos you can use the 80hz low cut to get rid of the low rumble made by the mic stands vibrating.

Message 4/26                 Date: 17-Aug-04  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

I went to Mackies websites but none of the prices are listed. I would rather go for a MAckie but I really dont want to spend more than about £300. Yes, I definately need a desk with 8 inputs or maybe even more. The ones that I thought were suitable were 1642-VLZ Pro although it doesnt seem to have any built in effects it has 10 inputs which I would really appreciate, and the CFX-12 which only has 8 inputs but does have effects. For now I will only be recording stupid home stuff but within the next 6 months or so when I've got some decent mics etc. I will be using it for proper recording so it needs to be decent. The Berry seems like the right one for the job but if the pre-amps aren't too good like you said then I def am not going to consider it (maybe this is why it's such a reasonable price). Does anyone know the price of these two please? By the way my recording medium at present is my PC which has a Audigy 2ZS soundcard and will be going into either Cubase or Logic, possibly Pro tools in the near future. The main thing is, am I really going to notice THAT much difference between a Mackie desk and a Behringer being somewhat of a beginner to all this??? I mean for now it's only going onto my PC. Oh god I am so confused!!!

Message 5/26                 Date: 17-Aug-04  @  10:08 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

SignalRunners - Andrew

I had a behringer eurorack thing for about 6-7 months- kept in better condition than it would have been in the fucking box- bought it brand new etc- the shit broke for no reason, just wasnt putting sound through like 3 minutes after it was turned on. went to behringer and they wouldnt give me advice, they just said to ship it to them and i'd receive repair charges and full shipping charges for their broken mixer. i think its kind of a crock of shit and i'm never buying behringer again---not to mention the thing was poorly built and had major noise problems.

when you're buying mackie on the other hand, you know you're buying quality and you know you're not gambling.

Message 6/26                 Date: 18-Aug-04  @  08:43 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

psylichon

While it's true that a mackie is a bit of an investment, it's one of the only "budget" mixers that you can actually say that about. I had mine almost 15 years before it started to buzz a bit. I bet a replaced cap or transistor would have fixed it cheap too. Luckily I got a line on another 1202 to replace mine. I'll let you know in 15 years how it's holdin' up

Message 7/26                 Date: 18-Aug-04  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

k

Link?:  Link

well..... i think you want to be careful about what you get in terms of where you want to go with this

IF you want eventualy to have 8 or whatever drum mic's on a kit, and think you may eventualy get an 8 IN computer audio device so you can track/record up to 8 inputs on seperate tracks, then i'd SERIOUSLY advise looking at an older but quality larger mixer if you have room

they can be had very cheap, they can be slightly hissier, but if you arent running all channels with eq added they arent really bad

anyways IF you DO plan to add an 8-IN device, and if you have other outboard synths etc which you want to bring In to the s/w ONBOARD mix of audio and VST instruments, then i'd think about what i said

the thing is, if you get a mixer with mebbe 16 channels or whatever and 8 BUSSES then combined with an 8-In card/rack whatever device on the PC you can bring mixer channels together and send them on the mixer to ANY of the possible 8 PC IN's

so .... do you think this might be a possibility Lloyd? - if yes mebbe look at an older s/h mixer like a soundcraft or a TAC or whatever from a dealer

if you get a VLZ it'll have only a secondary bus menaing easy routing will be limited to sending out a stereo L/R feed to the soundcard IN only.... if you ONLY plan to ever record stereo or mono tracks one at a time tho, then fine go for that

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/26                 Date: 18-Aug-04  @  02:59 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

damballah

true. a 4 buss with individual channel sends can work too and there's a way of using the inserts as sends.

Message 9/26                 Date: 18-Aug-04  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

Too much meat... I never thought of that.

Message 10/26                 Date: 18-Aug-04  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Pongoid

Kilo's got it right. But something nice that's used. Like I keep saying over and fucking over: DO NOT BUY BEHRINGER. THE SHIT BREAKS FAST AND YOU WILL BE FUCKED. They are a waste of money. They make cheap shit because they want your money and just poorly copy good stuff using cheap chinese labor, then it breaks and you're fucked in the ass till you can taste your own shit and the end of Uli's dick in the back of your throat. Then Uli just laughs all the way to the bank. Save the cash, but a nice warn old used desk, and get really good sound.

Ape

Message 11/26                 Date: 18-Aug-04  @  07:35 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

k

um.... not quite how i'd have phrased it, but.... tum tee tum....

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/26                 Date: 19-Aug-04  @  08:24 AM     Edit: 19-Aug-04  |  08:33 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

psylichon

I think a Behringer killed his mother or something.

Seriously though, Behringers are fine for studio monitoring purposes. They are most definitely not road worthy. But dear lord, please:

1. only monitor with them
2. do NOTrecord any signal that has passed through one.
3. if you ever touch any of the microphone gains at any point in its career, you didn't read #2 and you're an idiot.

Also, don't turn the knobs too much. They're not really designed for that.

You see their version of the mackie 8-bus? For under $1500?? Rooooight....

Message 13/26                 Date: 19-Aug-04  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

k

surely they arent that bad.... those 6:2 little table-top mixer are great. Are the larger ones crap then?

Message 14/26                 Date: 19-Aug-04  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

psylichon

they're just noisy as fook. Fine for monitoring if ya got computer fans and other low level noise in your studio, imo

Message 15/26                 Date: 20-Aug-04  @  03:31 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

Ok guys, after reading this maybe a Mackie is the way forward. Has anyone ever used the 1642-VLZ Pro? Or any of the effects mixers? My friend keeps telling me not to worry about effects but I like the idea for live work? Should I really be bothered, I mean are the effects worth using? Sorry I am really new to all this

Message 16/26                 Date: 20-Aug-04  @  12:12 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Stuff

I heard the inbuilt fx wasn't that good on the cheaper Mackies so i bought a 1642 and it's just fine. Except from the stereo channels it's pretty much like the well-known 1604.

Message 17/26                 Date: 20-Aug-04  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

How much did u pay for your 1642 if you don't mind me asking? Have you ever posted any reviews on it?

Message 18/26                 Date: 20-Aug-04  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Pongoid

At this point in time, I'd even put Mackie to the side unless you're planning on buying an older used one for cheap. The new ones are being made with Chinese outsourced parts and are having serious quality control issues. That said, I'd look into an Allen&Heath if you're going to go new, like a MixWizard or something. They're a little bit fragile, but not terribly so and they sound better than Mackie Mixers IMO.

Ape

Message 19/26                 Date: 21-Aug-04  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Influx

Ive been lusting after a soundcraft 200b lately. not the most portable of mixers, but it came highly rec'd sound-wise

I have yet to hear one, but there's a reason why brit consoles have a rep for being "soundy" and this is one of those.

Id love to run DAW tracks through something like that, see what happens

Message 20/26                 Date: 22-Aug-04  @  12:10 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

k

he - my mate just got one actualy - I used to use one in the programming suite when i had my first deal - great robust mixers, probably slightly hissy (and i mean slight) compared to a brand-new recent model, but really we're talking 'hiss' that you cant hear once a signal is present, very minimal. Usual Soundcraft stuff, tight pots, positive feel, everything feels solid.

Message 21/26                 Date: 22-Aug-04  @  04:28 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

Ok I posted this in the soundcard forumn but there was no response so I will try it here and I suppose that it does actually apply to this forum anyway. If you have read any of my other posts then you'll realise that I am looking into buying a mixing desk with around 8-10 inputs. The trouble is that I am going to need a soundcard that can handle multiple inputs and mine only has one. I have been told that an Emu 1820M could be the way to go and after reading some reviews it does look very impressive. Could I ask a few stupid things though? If I am going to connect an 8-input desk to this sound card then which kind of leads would I use to then connect it to the sound card? Also, does balanced just mean XLR? It seems as though this soundcard only has 6 inputs so does that mean that I can only ever use 6 channels at once? Thanks a lot. Any other sound card suggestions would also be grately appreciated...........

Message 22/26                 Date: 23-Aug-04  @  04:23 AM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

damballah

I think it's an 8 input dealie with those 2 mic inputs on the front being those neutrik combos that'll accept an xlr for mic or a 1/4 inch for line or instrument. Balanced in simple terms means there's 3 wires instead of 2 like a cable you'd use with a guitar which is unbalanced. It can have XLR or 1/4 inch TRS (which stands for tip-ring-sleeve) connectors. The TRS connectors look like the large jack on the cable for a pair of stereo headphones.

Is there any advantage of the 1820M over the 1820 if you're not using the sync card part? You got any external word clocks or smpte you're trying to sync to? You might just save you the hundred bucks or whatever that translates to in your currency.

Message 23/26                 Date: 23-Aug-04  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

I suppose you're right although I dont fully understand the idea of using some sort of external clock. Maybe this would be some use for the future if I ever learnt its use, u think? And also would I be able to connect the desk to it via the leads you described above???Yes, you are correct it has 8 1/4 inch jack inputs and two of those neutrik ones. Does this mean that the back of the mixing desk will have xlr outputs that go to 1/4 inch, or will it just be 1/4 inch either end. Oh and another thing, do the leads get supplied with the desk or am I just being optimistic???

Message 24/26                 Date: 23-Aug-04  @  07:56 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Influx

no cables with mixers unless you buy used and thats part of the deal.

the "M" of the 1820 has better converters so if you can afford it why not splurge.

the thing you dont seem to be getting is that to take advantage of all the inputs of your audio interface youll need a mixer that has that many outputs. So if you have an 8 input soundcard youd want a mixer with at least 8 outputs.

these can be "direct outs" (coming directly from each channel on the mixer) or "bus outs" which are outputs that you can choose to route signals to, or "aux outs" (often used as effects sends)

I mean no offense but I think you need to do a little more reading before you make your move

Message 25/26                 Date: 23-Aug-04  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

k

yeah just to clarify the butter further

if you use the mixer channel DIRECT OUTS, these a sniff' as they terms goes from the channel ly - in other words, it's simply a socket on the mixer channel next to the Mic & Line IN's and insert-points (if provided) which takes a signal OUT from that channel AFTER the gain/input-amp

That means if your mixer has 8 Input channels, and only stereo out, you CAN take 8 outs from the 8 mixer channels va the direct-out sockets on the channels, BUT, one channel will send to only one soundcard input - there is no way to blend any of the 8 mixer channel inputs on the mixer together to send to ONE input or a stereo pair of inputs on the soundcard - for example - if you create a synth pad using TWO different hardware synths layered together and want to send the 'blend' of both those synth channel together to be recorded at a soundcard stereo input - you cant with direct outs - you CAN with bus's OR you can if the mixer has TWO Aux sends, but thats more fiddly and complicated in some ways.

idealy for greatest flexibility you want a mixer with 8 bus's, and a soundcard with 8 IN's - and that really means going s/h to be affordable unless you go for Behringer who do a cheap 8 bus mixer...... Nothing wrong with older s/h mixers either, as long as it's serviced and lokked after - best to buy from a dealer even tho it means paying a bit more, but get some sort of warranty at least.

Message 26/26                 Date: 23-Aug-04  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: Which mixing desk to buy?

Lloyd Duddley

Yeah I def need to read up more. I have am familiar with using auxiliaries, groups etc. But I've never had to deal with knowing what is needed for my own purposes or thinking about connectivity. I also would like to speak to my course tutors and a few shops to see what is best suited for my uses. As far as I am aware I cant see that I would ever need to record mroe than 8 tracks at once so as long as the mixer has 8 direct outs then I could probably get along fine. The 1642 does have 4 aux sends/returns but no subgroups. I would prefer to go new but cant find any Mackie prices new. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. I think I just need to learn a bit more like you say. Although the thought of having groups does seem very logical. HELP! SOMEBODY HELP MEEE!!!

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum