0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: mixing for live tv

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4                 Date: 07-May-04  @  01:44 AM   -   mixing for live tv

chroma

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

in a bizarre twist of fate ive been taken on to do the tv mix of a religious program on a local cable channel, problem....

its shot in a big chapel; echoey, marble floors etc, NOT soundproofed at all and the pastor wants to hear everything LOUD (like the voice of god) so theyre monitoring off these huge PA speakers. it sounds alright on the floor (theres a dedicated house mixing dude) but on tape evrythings bouncing around and bleeding into each other.

theres a full band (drums, bass, guitar, violins, keys, piano) several handheld mics and two lapel mics for the hosts. f*king nightmare it is...

there are noise suppressors/gates/compressers etc on the mics but it dont seem to help much or am i missing something? ive suggested more discreet monitors, maybe wedge types that sit on the floor and just throw one direction?

theyre building a sound stage now but what can i do in the meantime? i dont know a lot about this so ANYTHING you can throw my way will help

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/4                 Date: 07-May-04  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: mixing for live tv

k

Link?:  Link

so if you simply do a take in stereo using two mics setup NEAR the L/R pa boxes (so you get less ambient sound from around the hall and more direct from the speakers).. it sound crap?

can you take a feed direct from the PA mixer?.... then mebbe add-in some ambient from the hall with a stereo pair?

that doesnt solve recording the musicians tho - but again - they are going thru a mixer and In to the PA yes?

I'd say take a stereo feed from the PA mixer and add-in hall BG sound to taste... mebbe... can you do that?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/4                 Date: 08-May-04  @  02:27 AM   -   RE: mixing for live tv

chroma

the reason they got me was so the other guy can focus on getting a good live sound and leave me to get the recorded sound right, so a stereo feed wouldnt work

we did one last night and i had a talk with the band about proper mic technique etc, moved some mics and speakers around and it helped a bit but the hall reverberations are just impossible

Message 4/4                 Date: 08-May-04  @  09:54 AM   -   RE: mixing for live tv

k

well that's the only way then - direct off the mixer - use the auxilliaries if you cant get a decent split master out balance

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum