0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Mackie d8b

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 03-May-04  @  03:06 PM   -   Mackie d8b

Lloyd Duddley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've been looking into a Mackie D8B digital mixing desk as maybe the heart of my studio to be. I am used to using one as there is one in the studio at my university. The only thing holding me back (apart from the price at the moment) is that a lot of people are saying that when using the automation, the desk often becomes unstable and crashes. I wondered if anyone had used one with the automation before as it has never worked on the one at uni. Could anyone give me any pointers or good/bad points about thiese desks, is the automation really that bad??? Also, is it easy to use? I assume its just like the soundcraft where you have a write and read facility. Many thanks as ever L.Dudley

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 03-May-04  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: Mackie d8b

milan

Link?: Link

hmm... i worked with a d8b a while ago and cant recall it ever crashed, even when using automation... maybe thats a remark about older operating systems. the one we had was a V3/ 24bit one and it worked rather well.

the only gripe i had with it are its faders... for one, they are not touch sensitive which means they dont react as soon as you touch the fader... but that in itself would be forgivable if they worked well once you actually moved them. what we experienced was that sometimes you'd move a fader and the blody mixer wouldnt notice it at all and then you'd have to tug the fader a bit untill the mix engine relised you were actully doing something... and by then, your fader would way of the original position which can be rather anoying if you're tweaking a carefully crafted mix... not to mention while writing automation!

if the automation on your desk doesnt work that probably means its not locked to a MTC source (like a HD recorder/ sequencer/ tape machine, whatever) because the mixer needs to receive timecode data in order for it know where it is relative to your time scale (which point in your tune etc).

but once that works, the automation is fine... you can write or update manualy using faders (mind what i said up there^ tho), or if you hook it up to a monitor you can open a graphical editor for the automation and tweak it with a mouse. i remember that bit being a bit fiddly, but probably no more than on any automated mixer.

hope that helps, regards.

Message 3/7                 Date: 03-May-04  @  05:58 PM     Edit: 03-May-04  |  06:02 PM   -   RE: Mackie d8b

milan

oh btw... i could find any quotes for d8b, but maybe you should also consider a Yamaha 02R96 as an alternative. its newer and has touch sensitive faders, if automation maters so much to you   (and has a reputation of being a rock solid no- nonsense mixer)

come to think of it, i also like its layout much better than the mackie's... on mackie i was always more likely to use the mouse than to look all over the front panel for that knob i needed... i wish they added a bit more collor to the front panel to mark different sections like eq, dynamics, aux's etc...

Message 4/7                 Date: 04-May-04  @  12:06 AM   -   RE: Mackie d8b

Lloyd Duddley

Thank you, that was very helpful. Do you get the onscreen capabilities with the o2r96? As this is a feature I like a lot. I think it's OS that MAckie use. I will definately look into the Yamaha too. Thanks a lot

Message 5/7                 Date: 04-May-04  @  09:08 AM   -   RE: Mackie d8b

milan

well there is the Studio Manager s/w for the yamaha, which is a bit like sounddiver editing software but it requires a pc/mac to run on. you *could* work on the yammy using only that (even from another room if you wanted to  ), but in my opinion i dont think you'd really need it since the mixer is dead easy to use.

dunno... i'd check the specs on both of them if i were you and see which i liked better. i kinda think yamaha might offer a bit more than the mackie, plus its easier to use (more dedicated knobs, more fx, better layout etc)

Message 6/7                 Date: 04-May-04  @  11:22 AM   -   RE: Mackie d8b

k

what about that new TASCAM US-2400 ? - or the cheap behringer (B-CONTROL FADER BCF2000) you can cascade those behringers.

Message 7/7                 Date: 04-May-04  @  06:13 PM   -   RE: Mackie d8b

craig

Look into the Tascam DM24 also, especially if you're going to be using a PC as your recording medium. They've got a firewire card that does 24 ins and outs from the PC to the mixer.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum