0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: panning samples

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 12-Jan-04  @  06:57 PM   -   panning samples

dahlback

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi composers, just a quick question.

Is it possible to pan the samples randomly/automatically while playback, on an AKAI s2000/s3000xl/s3200 hardware sampler?! So that a sample isn't "locked" in mono or constantly has the same pan-setting?

In example; every time a sample is played - it randomly can change it's pan-position??
Or like.. modulating a sample left/right/left/right - with an LFO deciding the speed of the pan-position??
I hope you can see what kind of effect i'm looking for (:

Any useful help appreciated / Regards!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 12-Jan-04  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: panning samples

craig

Link?: Link

You can use an LFO to modulate it - although I'm on an S6000, so I could be talking about features your machine doesn't have, but I'd use a sample and glide or sample and hold LFO, and if it makes sense sync it to the beat, so that pan changes go in time with the rhythm.

Message 3/8                 Date: 12-Jan-04  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: panning samples

dahlback

Thanks for answering Craig. Unfortunately i can't afford a s6000.. but i'd love to have one, i really would!!
But do anyone know if the mid 90's Akai's (s3000xl etc) has the same or a similar feature?

Cheers

Message 4/8                 Date: 12-Jan-04  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: panning samples

craig

I don't remember. Akai usually has their old product's manuals online. Try looking there.

-Craig

Message 5/8                 Date: 12-Jan-04  @  10:47 PM   -   RE: panning samples

dahlback

YES! Thnx Craig. No need for s6000. Looked from page 69 in the 3000xl manual & my questions are answered and this thread is done. These samplers still kicks ass!! I'm gonna buy one (and it's cheeaaap too) (=

Message 6/8                 Date: 13-Jan-04  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: panning samples

craig

If you have the loot, I'd strongly recommend looking for a secondhand S5000. It's just so much more capable and much easier to program. Otherwise, a 3000 will do you fine.

-Craig

Message 7/8                 Date: 13-Jan-04  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: panning samples

dahlback

Ok, what is the differences between the s5000 and s6000?
They look the same but S5000 always seem to be cheaper than s6000. Both have
removable display? More expanding abilities in the 6000??

Message 8/8                 Date: 13-Jan-04  @  04:49 PM   -   RE: panning samples

craig

The S5000 does not have the removable display. Other than that, they're pretty much the same. The S6000 was usually sold here in the US as the "studio" model, which included the 128 voice expansion, 8 more outs, extra 16 MIDI channels, and effects board.

Advantages of the S5000/S6000 over earlier akai samplers:

1) They use .wav files as the sampler's native sample format - this saves you a lot of hassle converting sounds you polish up on your PC into akai format.

2) They use MS-DOS as the sampler's native disk format. Your PC can read and write floppies and CD-ROMs for S5k/S6k. You can use your PC as a librarian for your sampler, and easily burn backups to CD-R.

3) You can hook them up to your computer via USB if you purchase the USB add-on board. This will get you out of all the horrible difficulties people have getting MESA (akai editor) working over SCSI. The USB version of MESA is really great - you'll have full control over your sampler from the PC's keyboard and mouse.

4) Space for internal hard drives - SCSI hard drives that will work with the S5k/S6k are cheap on ebay, and installing them is pretty easy. Check with Akai's compatibility list before buying a hard disk as the sampler is a little fussy about which drives it likes.

5) Huge memory capacity - S6k can go to 256. I don't know if the 5000 is limited to 128 or not. Expansion is via 72-pin SIMMs, which are getting a little harder to find these days. Beware of 64MB SIMMs - the S5k/6k can only use certain types of 64MB SIMMs, but it's easy on any other size. Spend $50, never worry about memory again  

6) An extra 40 or so filters

7) Accessories are still available from Akai. The S2000 and S3000 are long gone, and those who do have expansions for them new are getting kind of pricey - at least they were when I sold my S2000.

I wouldn't worry too much about the effects board. If you can get an S5000 with one already installed, cool, but don't pay too much of a premium on them. It's OK at best. Extra outs are still available if you want 'em.

It's a top notch sampler. I'd definately buy an S5000 over an S3000.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum