0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: My Weed Problem

Viewing all 32 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  03:32 PM   -   My Weed Problem

Addicted

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've a problem. I'm addicted to weed. I think I need weed to make tracks but when I smoke it I end up, after 20 mins, turning off the studio and turning on the TV.

While I watch the TV, I say to myself "I gotta give up the weed". I say "I don't need weed to make tracks. I'm gonna give up and have my last puff this Sunday".

I go to work and get excited about the fact I'm gonna give up weed 'this sunday'. I go into the studio during the week and smoke 'my last quarter' and just mess about on the computer 'getting things ready' for my new life being weed free and actually making some bloody music.

So, it gets to Sunday and I have my 'last big puff' and go through all 'the routines of my last day puffing'. It gets to Sunday night and I pack my 'last' joint with a ten draw cos its my last puff, I'm going to really make an effort 'this time'. I smoke my last joint and go into my studio and stick on Massive Attack "protection", cos that's the right music to listen to whilst having my 'last smoke'. I go to bed and feel excited.

I get up on Monday morning and feel fine. I finish work and rush home to get into the studio all sober. I switch on the PC, load up some drums and say "jesus man, I could really fancy a puff" and "I can't be creative without some weed".

About 7'oclock Monday night, I ring my dealer and get in the car, park on his dodgy estate and buy some weed. I rush home, skin up, last about 20 mins and then turn on the TV.

And so the cycle continues.

D'you think I should just give up music making, resign myself to the fact that this is all just some dream and I ain't never gonna make shit..?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  03:36 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Filthy McNasty

hahahahaha. Classic.

Message 3/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Filthy McNasty

Sorry mate, didn't mean to laugh. Its more I know exactly where you are coming from. I gave up green 18 months ago and it was the best move I ever made. I made more progress in a week when I was sober then in 6 months whilst stoned.

It will take you a couple of weeks to get used to being in the studio but you should do it. Take up some exercise aswell. On a saturday, I go for a swim for an hour or so before I hop onto my computer. Doing exercise gives you energy cos the bloods actually moving around your body. I can do 14 hour sessions straight through.

Do it bud. (no pun intended).

Message 4/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  04:06 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Steve Roughley

I know that one! I managed to give up weed about two and a half years ago now and haven;t looked back. I'm not even tempted at parties anymore. The energy and enthusiasm for doing stuff like work and music that floods back about a month after quitting is almost enough to cause a seisure.

All I do now is get drunk, maybe some sniff and it actually helps my creativity and doesn't sap my energy one iota. I figure it must be the sugar in the beer or something, but I can stay up till 3/4 in the morning just drinking and writing tunes and it is soooo productive.

Do keep giving up on the weed. If you believe that you can give up enough then you can fool your unconscious into truly believing it and it gets easier.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 5/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  04:08 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Zazza

Yah.. go for it.. no big deal to give up..

Message 6/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

"Sniff" steve? As in scratch and sniff? Itchy nuts stylee???

;)

Message 7/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Mindspawn

If it's causin' a problem, forget it. Personally, I have no issues with it. I smoke a lot of pot. Keeps me from killing people. As for the old cliche that it makes you unmotivated... maybe true for some, as I've seen it happen, but not at all for me. I been "rollin' bones" for a quarter century, and I haven't ever been accused of being "unmotivated." You should see me when I've laid off for awhile, which I do every so often, I'm much more "fuck you, get out of my face" and I have a great deal of trouble staying focused for more than a couple hours...

All that said, if I ever really felt A) I couldn't live without weed... or B) it started having a negative effect on my tunage... I'd drop it... period. Also, while I'll smoke up to do new sounds, riff, arrangements, etc., I'm always straight when I master, and usually when I do mixdowns. It's just too easy for me to miss technical details when I'm stoked with good herb...

Pizza

G

Message 8/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

§ï†ÅR

yea you can give it up man. giving up music will only justify prolonging the smoke that's hampering you in the first place. That would be like throwing out the baby and keeping the bathwater.

Message 9/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  05:02 PM     Edit: 28-Mar-03  |  05:03 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Steve Roughley

??? Marc, I've spent five minutes trying to figure that one out and now my head hurts   I was refering to Charlie. Is that what you mean? If, so where's the connection between Charlie and Itchy Nuts?  

Steve.

Message 10/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

bradelectro

Link?:  Link

Addicted why not just slow down a bit- maybe
the cold turkey route ain't for
you! Howabout every other day or something
at first? then you can compare
how it is working stoned and unstoned in the
studio as well.

personally I don't get high hardly at all
anymore, on weed that is. The only
time i like to use it in relation w/ making music
is *after* i've done my
work for the nite...I find that sometimes it's
good to critique a track
whilst stoned, and take notes even...but not
when i'm actually working cos
nothin gets done...

i agree w/ mindspawn tho, it affects each of us
real different- positive and
negative. persoanlly, it's so easy for me to turn
down a spliff- i do it all
the time...but very hard for me to refuse a drink
;-)

good luck

Message 11/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

bradelectro

hey maybe also switching up ur studio
routine- like just f*cking around and have sum
fun w/ fruity loops if u usually use cubase, or
collaborating with someone if u usually work
alone. Probably best if you collaborate w/ a
non-weed smoker ;-) i dunno...i'm just
brainstorming over here.

Get rid of your tv?

Message 12/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

xoxos

you goldurn kids all hopped up on western civilisation. i bet you are in love with your stupid television and you want to kiss it, like a big wanky baby don't you.

Message 13/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  10:47 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Zazza

Dr X has spoke.

Message 14/32                 Date: 28-Mar-03  @  11:35 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

R.A.T.

I knocked it on the head two months ago and my productivity rose shitloads. I wanted to give up fags more and had patches so I couldn't smoke anything.

I'm skinning up now mind you.... After the break I've managed to wean myself down to a couple at the weekend. Sorted. Enough for a bit of a vibe but so monged I sit here for ages just listening to tunes.

Goodluck dude, try and find a happy medium. Its taken me ten years and I dont know if I'll stick to it but the tunes are coming right on.

Message 15/32                 Date: 29-Mar-03  @  02:24 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

sighs

the TV instructs you to blame it on the plant. sucker.

Message 16/32                 Date: 29-Mar-03  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

influx

GET OVER IT AND LEARN SOME DAMN DISCIPLINE jesus christ

its just fucking POT and it is YOU, YOUR MIND, telling you/allowing you to think that you are "addicted"

bullshit

Message 17/32                 Date: 29-Mar-03  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

man called clay

rule one: always ask your GOOD friend the dealer ....FIRST!

Message 18/32                 Date: 30-Mar-03  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

healthy choice

I smoked weed every day for three years and then I just quit. Not everyone, but most people tend to suffer from amotivational syndrome (chemically induced laziness) when they smoke a lot of weed.
Motivation is strongly tied to neurochemistry.
My advice, excercise and eat right. Just go for a long walk everyday. You might try taking some St. John's Wort. Its an herb that helps depression and anxiety. You can be very depressed and not feel sad at all. It may just manifest its self as feeling lethargic, an inability to make decisions, and procrastination. Try to avoid a lot of sugar and junk food. Eat lots of raw vegetables and adequate protein. I don't object to people using any drug they choose but I found that for myself that they just burn me out more.

Good luck

Good luck.

Message 19/32                 Date: 30-Mar-03  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

xoxos

herbs rule your life, victim. motivation is "strongly tied to" having something you want to do, which is actually a total sign of lameness.

you're like the ass fucking president of the world... you can't make concrete statements that aren't true, so you make these wishy washy false statements of falsehood to reinforce your paranoid belief system... "oh please tell me it's true, it's so comfortable.."

Message 20/32                 Date: 30-Mar-03  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Dr Jekyl

so i was saying to my mother the other day - you fvkin jerkoff tithead - that when its good its good but when its bad, well it never gets bad - my friend - cos thats when i take drugs

but the next day she calls me up and asks why i never get depressed

Message 21/32                 Date: 31-Mar-03  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

GrooveMonkey

Don't sweat it dude... Weed it not chemically addicitive like other stuff, Its just a state of mind, if it means you write crap music, then stop, you might miss it for a little while. As for me, I only smoke when I'm starting a track from scratch coz then my thinking is a little warped but when it comes to mixing and mastering, clean head is needed.

Message 22/32                 Date: 31-Mar-03  @  03:11 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

man called clay

but definitely cut the television/couch glue routine.

Message 23/32                 Date: 31-Mar-03  @  08:42 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Mindspawn

wht clay said... Probably a LOT worse for you than weed (the TV that is...)

Toodles

Message 24/32                 Date: 01-Apr-03  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Weed User

Look addicted, you gotta know how to use weed. I see people packin' their joints and then, as you say, after 20 mins, they just end up listening to the same loop for hours and hours. People don't know how to use the weed.

God knows, I couldn't just sit down infront of the computer (after a day in the office) and start gettin "all creative". The thing is you gotta just sprinkle the weed into the joint. You just need a tiny bit to make your ears (and mind) open up.

As said by others, I never "have a smoke" when I'm mixing or mastering. You end up thinkin it all sounds great and then when you play it back over another system, the balance usually sounds pants.

As said mate, I usually try and do a track a week. I'll have a little smoke on a Sunday and sketch out an idea. I won't get to tied up in small details but rather just try and let things flow out. Then I'll spend the rest of the week (nights) not smokin till the end of the night, using my clear head to build the track, get the groove tight and all that. My smoke at the end of the night usually helps me write notes and ideas down to try the next night. I have the track done by friday night and usually go out. Then I'll use Saturday (unstoned) to mix and master the track. I'll leave it all up till Sunday then listen to it that morning. Then I wack it onto a CDR.

Then I'll go to the gym. I'm usually stoned by 2pm sunday and I'll start getting stoned ideas for the next track. And thats my working week.

No wonder I don't have a grilfriend.

Addicted, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Learn how to use it to YOUR advantage.

Message 25/32                 Date: 01-Apr-03  @  01:27 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Pure Phase

well said....

( anyway it's the nicotine that your addicted to ... er... and the TV )

Message 26/32                 Date: 01-Apr-03  @  05:31 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

k

yes, westerners tend to treat drugs very casualy, whereas other cultures originaly used them with more respect, often ceremoniously -

weed/dope is good for 'creativity' but not dso good for work - so perhaps try crewating hooks and riffs and ideas with pot, then be dry for the linear composition work, then appraise the work you did 'dry' stoned - it often reveals interesting results.

when you listen stoned, make notes rather than trying to 'fix it' while charged, or if you want to tweak the linear mix while stoned, then save a new copy for the 'stoned mix' and use that to work on.. mebbe also make notes... it's good to vary things, dont let drugs become a habit basicaly.

Message 27/32                 Date: 04-Apr-03  @  03:20 AM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

djjessex

weed is not your enemy you are. weed makes me stoned, not creative. Im creative already. If I smoke, im creative and stoned. Jeez man. Roll one up and dig in to you gear. Unless you are one of those unfortunates who get stoned and stare at something for an hour before you realise you need to breathe.

Message 28/32                 Date: 04-Apr-03  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

man called clay

or you can just smoke lotsa weed every day and twiddle knobs and pretend you're making ALL the funny people on tv move around and stuff.

Message 29/32                 Date: 04-Apr-03  @  11:48 AM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Addicted

You lot are making me paranoid. Or is that the weed?

Message 30/32                 Date: 04-Apr-03  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

errata

Boy Addicted, you don't listen so good do ya? ;)

No one is making you paranoid, weed isn't making you paranoid, YOU are making YOU paranoid. YOU are making YOU watch TV. YOU are making YOU feel unproductive!

Quit playing the victim routine. Fix it, and make 'dem BEATS, yo!

(sorry, must be on some kind of period this week)

e

Message 31/32                 Date: 04-Apr-03  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

knowa

it's not complicated; it's just difficult. leave it alone for a while, and see if/when/how you can come back to it. everything else is b.s.

Message 32/32                 Date: 07-Apr-03  @  06:13 AM     Edit: 07-Apr-03  |  06:15 AM   -   RE: My Weed Problem

Fhalyndon'gan

About two years ago I started getting high socially, one or two hit's every few weekends when visiting friends who smoke. Last summer I took a ride on the Blue ridge Parkway and bought an eighth for the ride, just enough for a hit or two in the evenings while watching the sun go down and whatnot. Shortly after that I started getting high regularly and my attitude has been adjusted for the better. I can relate to Mindspawn's comments, I see weed as an alternative to Prozac, Librium, or Thorazine, keeping fast food restaurants and post offices everywhere safe.  

There is a time and place for it though, I'm right there with K on this so taking a hike in the woods, a walk though the neighborhood or anything that separates the moment is a good thing. Getting high and watching the Cartoon Channel (or the Weather Channel, or The Channel Channel) all afternoon doesn't qualify.   I definitely wouldn't think of getting high and trying to work, seems like one would take away from the other. Housework is another story, I can clean some serious mother****** house after a bowl.

If weed is a problem for you consider a look at the underlying reason, it could be you have an addictive personality and if that's the case you could do worse than weed.

Viewing all 32 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum