0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: Vestax?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 19-Dec-02  @  11:59 PM   -   Vestax?

Stuff

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

In my next dj-set i am forced to play with some Vestax PDX2000. I've checked some specs and I can't find any "Pitch Bend"-function on the Pdx2000.. Well, my Sony decks got pitch-bend and I love it, it's like a "magic button" in beatmixing. If you don't have pitch bend you must push or reduce the record with your hands, and in some cases, it isn't 100% (like when you're beatmixing with `hyper shuffled beatsī).
Anyone who has any experience of the Vestax decks??

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 20-Dec-02  @  06:02 AM   -   RE: Vestax?

psylichon

This page seems to indicate not only +-10% speed control but a seperate +-50% slider as well. I couldn't imagine any DJ turntable without some kind of pitch control. Match beats with your hands? You a masochist or what? Do people really do that for more than just a one-shot sample?

psy

Message 3/10                 Date: 20-Dec-02  @  10:52 AM   -   RE: Vestax?

milan

lol. yeah... but you see, he seems to be coming from a CD mixing end of things, hence the aversion to actuall contact with the record.

Stuff, you could use the pitch slider also as a pitch bend thing if you're carefull, i've seen dj's do it, though not often edmitedly. personaly, i tend to adjust the record all the time with my hands while its playing. makes for a much quicker beatmix.

Message 4/10                 Date: 20-Dec-02  @  12:02 PM     Edit: 20-Dec-02  |  12:06 PM   -   RE: Vestax?

k

Link?:  Link

heh heh - Vestax, yes, we recently had some dialog with them over joining their press-area:

--------------------------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 2002

To: admin@dancetech.com

Your application for access to the Vestax Members of the Press area has been denied. Please contact us if you believe this decision is in error.

Kindest regards,

Vestax International Communications

To: pressmembersadmin@vestax.com

Subject: Re: Application Denied

Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002

lol! - this is some early 'April fools' joke dreamed up by some manager in
your press dept right??

Well.... we're all laughing here.... so.... c'mon lets get serious now...

Can you please put us on your mailing list for news, press releases and
especialy product promotions in europe for our web-store promotions

regards

Team_DT

www.dancetech.com

London

Date: 13 Dec 2002

To: admin@dancetech.com

Subject: Application Approved

Your application to gain access to the Vestax Members of the Press area has been approved.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/10                 Date: 20-Dec-02  @  12:07 PM   -   RE: Vestax?

k

Link?:  Link

heh heh - I want to try to get one of those vinyl cutters off them, bet you'd like to see a review of that eh!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/10                 Date: 20-Dec-02  @  02:12 PM   -   RE: Vestax?

Stuff

No milan I have only mixed with cd's once, and the result was not the best.

Yes psylichon; of course all Dj-decks has pitch control - the big fader that adjusts the speed.
On my (cheap) Sony decks the fader is called "PITCH ADJUSTMENT" and below that big fader there is two small buttons called "PITCH BEND". One button is marked with a - and the other with a +.
The thing is that this must be the fastest f*ckin way to match two different beats together (you don't have to push and pull the record, and the "Pitch bend buttons" are more exactly than my hands).
Even if you are used to, for an example, Technics 1200-decks that only has the big fader (which is called "Pitch Adjustment" on my japansese decks).
You have better control with the two small pitch bend buttons because they reacts immediately, the pitch adjustment don't (not on japanse decks).

It makes sense that you can use the pitch ajust also as a pitch bend thing if being carefull. I've tried it but I think it's better to adjust the speed with my own hands.
But the BEST way is the pitch bend.. see what i mean?
Of course I can dj in a couple of hours "just with my hands" but the most secure way to really match the beats quick, easy and safe is the: PITCH BEND buttons.

Why make it hard when you can do it easy?
Maybe you think it isn't cool enough to do it in a "easy" way but, at least I am NOT using any bpm-counters.

Message 7/10                 Date: 20-Dec-02  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: Vestax?

Stuff

Just to avoid some misunderstanding replys I should tell you this.

When you are pushing on the record it goes faster and when you are holding down the record it goes slower. See, the "Pitch Bend" I'm talking about only speeds up/down when you push the buttons (if you haven't figure it out already).

Message 8/10                 Date: 20-Dec-02  @  04:03 PM   -   RE: Vestax?

milan

lol@k!!!  

Stuff, yes i see what you mean- your turntables have a pitchbend thing. (btw, i keep typing bitchbend and have to correct it everytime  ). cool that it works for you, but i'm still faster doing it manually because i'm simply used to that. for example, i played on 1210's in a small club on tuesday, after not using them for moths (i have cheap practice tt-s at home), and i could still beatmatch perfectly and my touch was still spot on. whatever works for you.

sorry, not much experience on the vestax. i tried them once in a shop and found the plate to be a bit too light compared to 1210's. thats about all i can tell you...

Message 9/10                 Date: 20-Dec-02  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: Vestax?

Stuff

I think you learned mixing the right way from the beginning milan  .

You see, I'm a bit addicted to those little pitchbend buttons - because I've learned beat-matching with those decks.
If i had bought some Technics (who doesn't want em'?) in the beginning I would be more flexible in that way.
I can pretend that I'm playing with some Technics by not using the pichbend (like i do sometimes). But as I've said before, I think those tiny little bend-buttons are too good to avoid  .

Unfortunately I couldn't afford two Technics at the time when I was looking for turntables. So I bought a pair of these Sony's, for the same price as one 1210.

The Sony decks is very good and cheap for beginners. And they still work, so I will use them until they totally brake down (hopefully not at a club ;-). Another thing is that they look good too, like a 1210 (black) but with red and silver details  .

I think those Vestax look awful   some kind of a spaceship design or what? And they're misssing the dot-pattern on their wheels of steal. Don't know the name of that in english but i mean the pattern that allows us to see if the record spins to fast or to slow from 33/45 rpm.

Message 10/10                 Date: 20-Dec-02  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: Vestax?

psylichon

I see what you mean now, stuff. I'd probably use pitch bend if I had it on my Technics, but since I only have one deck anyway beatmatching ain't my thing (I'm a studio scratcher only)

But I know what you mean about old habits. I'm still using a rubber band on my crossfader for crabs and such, and doubt I'll ever be arsed to learn any other way!

psy

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum