0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Yes!

Viewing all 19 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/19                 Date: 26-Nov-02  @  08:16 AM   -   Yes!

close to the edge

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can't wait for tommorow. Yes is coming to my town. Playing in a small theatre with good acoustics. $50.00 for the ticket (ouch) but the show should rock.......... Will post mini-review after I see the show. They have Bill Bruford, Rick Wakeman and orginal crew on board. Major chops.

till then

peaceout.............

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/19                 Date: 26-Nov-02  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: Yes!

influx

Link?: Link

NO!

Message 3/19                 Date: 26-Nov-02  @  02:50 PM   -   RE: Yes!

k

Link?:  Link

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/19                 Date: 26-Nov-02  @  03:52 PM   -   RE: Yes!

pict

Bill Bruford is an astounding drummer but sometimes his playing seems like virtuosity for virtousitys sake.

Message 5/19                 Date: 26-Nov-02  @  08:21 PM   -   RE: Yes!

ctte

I know what you mean, but when you consider how many no talent, commercial crap ass artists their are out there making millions of dollars on Mtv, ie Britney Spears, Nsync, ect. what's wrong with a real musician showing off a bit. After all their kinda of a dying breed. In twenty years a group playing live in concert will be nothing but a computer midi module with a holographic projection. Ill take a group of retired over 50 progressive rockers over that anyday. Besides they still put out positive energy and with people like Bush in office we need any help we can get.......

Message 6/19                 Date: 26-Nov-02  @  11:18 PM   -   RE: Yes!

pict

Agreed.

Message 7/19                 Date: 27-Nov-02  @  02:21 AM   -   RE: Yes!

Def Z

And that 90120 album is STILL one of the best produced albums of all time.

And I third the 'good artist' argument.

Message 8/19                 Date: 27-Nov-02  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: Yes!

k

um, sorry that's simply not a good enuff arguement for having to endure the awefulness that is 'YES'  

I'd say a nuclear holocaust is infinately preferable to having to listen to that fucking racket.

PS. do I have to wear a sequined cape to get in to the show?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/19                 Date: 27-Nov-02  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: Yes!

bedwyr

yes

Message 10/19                 Date: 27-Nov-02  @  09:29 PM   -   RE: Yes!

99devils

K, you just don't like prog-rock do you?

-Craig

Message 11/19                 Date: 28-Nov-02  @  08:43 AM   -   RE: Yes!

ctte

Just saw show. It was great. I expected them to be over the hill but they all played great. The theatre was small and had great acoustics. Many people who saw it said it was one of their best performances ever. They had a well balanced more hard edge than I remember. I was suprised they brought alot of life to all those old tunes. The best jams were by Chris Squire and Rick wakeman. Wakeman went from a rocken hammond to a squelchy korg prophecy solo. Squire did a great solo as well. His playing was tight with a grittier metal edge to it. I have been to about 60 rock concerts and this was one of the best I have heard. They did close to the edge, don't kill the whale, starship trooper, most of relayer and lots more. They were never my favorite band but I give them credit for still going. Granted their not everyones cup of tea but they really rocked. The funniest thing was that they performed in a small theatre that was built for symphonys. There was an an intermission and in the lobby they were selling beer and wine. I used to sneek bottles of booze and weed into shows in the 70,s now I am watching a 40 year old woman buying a glass of chardonnay. Bizarre. Anyway, their are plenty of modern artists I can't stand as well, but these guys are over 50 and played as well or better than they did 30 years ago. I really like modern techno and am sure Yes influenced alot of bands that followed them. After listening to them perform 20,000 notes and 500 time signature changes I am amazed they don't have arthritis. Ill take that over endless pre-recored loops and samples and record scratches anyday.

peace out........."we have heaven"

Message 12/19                 Date: 29-Nov-02  @  01:19 AM   -   RE: Yes!

Def Z

Glad you enjoyed the show. They've got some great stuff, contrary to k's narrowminded, new-aged view. ;-)

Best show I ever went to was Jethro Tull in Syracuse NY. Small theater, 2k people. Great sound, great entertainment.

Message 13/19                 Date: 29-Nov-02  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: Yes!

Zazza

Did they ballgag Jon Andersen then?

Message 14/19                 Date: 29-Nov-02  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: Yes!

k

i just think Yes and other bands of their ilk have absolutely nothing to do with rock-n-roll, that's all. It's the energy I go for in all forms of music not the intellectual quality of the notes, scales, modes, recording 'quality' and all the rest of that stuff, just the energy, and in that respect, good techno or trance etc can have the same power as good rock, punk, grunge or whatever.

Message 15/19                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  05:46 AM   -   RE: Yes!

influx

definitely. but...some of the "show off" bands also wrote some damn fine SONGS...

like the one you seem to hate the most. RUSH.

shiiiit.

Ive never been into yes. Might be something Id like to see...probably cost $100 tho.

Message 16/19                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  11:08 AM   -   RE: Yes!

k

heh heh - sure I'm teasing a bit. The drummer I'm working with, his childhood drummer hero was Neil
Peart. We're meeting up with the bass player today for the first jam. She's Japanese and plays a Ricky (!!) - should be fun  

Message 17/19                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  01:23 PM   -   RE: Yes!

Steve Roughley

Don't forget probably the greates show-off band ever, the Dixie Dreggs. They were a mind-bogglingly talented group. And, god, did they have energy.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 18/19                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: Yes!

xoxos

$100? what a rip! you can get into a gene loves jezebel show for $4.

Message 19/19                 Date: 30-Nov-02  @  09:01 PM   -   RE: Yes!

influx

really?

Viewing all 19 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum