0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Combined fundamentals...

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 17-Nov-02  @  09:09 PM     Edit: 17-Nov-02  |  09:25 PM   -   Combined fundamentals...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Just wondering (I'm not in my studio, so I can't find out for myself ATM), when you combine two tones that are, say, three semitones apart, C and A for example, does the lower tone (A) become the fundamental of the new combined tone? Or does the fundamental become something entirely different?

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 17-Nov-02  @  09:46 PM   -   RE: Combined fundamentals...

psylichon

Link?: Link

combining two tones at such a wide interval will most likely not sound like 1 tone with harmonics, but like a chord with the 'fundamental' root tone being dictated by the context and chord progression of the tune.

Now, if the higher tone were much quieter in relation to the lower one, and the tones are sine-ish, it could start sounding like very simple additive synthesis I suppose (think hammond b3).

psylichon

Message 3/9                 Date: 17-Nov-02  @  09:58 PM     Edit: 17-Nov-02  |  10:01 PM   -   RE: Combined fundamentals...

Steve Roughley

Aha, this is what I was fearnig. Do you have any recomendations as to making sure that when I program a sound - which maybe has up to three tones with this degree of separation - I can keep my sounds in tune with the rest of my track? I have been having trouble with this and am wondering if there is any mathematics, or something that could help me figure it out quickly. Is it possible to force a sound that is made of two, or three notes from one key, into another key?

Regards.

Steve.

Message 4/9                 Date: 17-Nov-02  @  10:20 PM   -   RE: Combined fundamentals...

psylichon

well, if you really want it to sound like one tone, you would pitch the intervals to follow the simple harmonic series (easy and more involved) and adjust their relative volumes. That would give the illusion of a natural harmonic spectrum.

To understand simple harmonic series, think of a bugle. You blow into it and get a fundamental tone. You blow harder and get the next mode of vibration, which is a fifth above the fundamental. Blow harder and you get a 4th above that (or an octave above the fundamnetal), harder still and it goes up another 3rd, and so on.

Of course, when you're layering these vibrational modes (with multiple oscillators) to create a more complex spectrum, you need to really reduce the volume of the upper harmonics for it to truly mimic nature.

Of course, the really interesting sounds start when you go beyond all this for a little dissonance!

Love answering questions like this... it keeps my acoustics classes from the clutches of my pot-head.

psylichon

Message 5/9                 Date: 18-Nov-02  @  11:06 AM   -   RE: Combined fundamentals...

Steve Roughley

Ooooohhhh. This is getting exciting, I feel some truly natural sounding electronic textures comming on!   :0   :0

Thanks a ton Psy!

Regards.

Steve

Message 6/9                 Date: 27-Nov-02  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: Combined fundamentals...

nomad

cool info, psy...

i don't know for sure if this is along the same lines, but...

in my experience, while it's not absolute (as psy said), if you play two notes together (like an A and a C), you'll 'hear' the higher note (the C), and it will 'fit into' the melody like a C would. if you play 3 notes, same rule applies... a C/E/G (cmaj) chord fits a melody similar to a lone G.

it's not absolute... there are probably reasons for this; i think the ear latches on to the most 'energetic' note and follows it; 'energy' of a note is tied to both volume and frequency (higher frequency at same volume = higher energy).

so, if you are working this out, and the upper note works but the chord doesn't, keep the upper note and change the chord.

a chord DOES sound different from a single note; this tone difference is why we have chord theory. but you are talking about if a patch for instance just sounds 'right' when you play an interval (say your third above) for instance. sometimes i have played patches that somehow just sounded more 'right' on some intervals and chords than others.

sometimes that 'sound' will travel up and down the keyboard with you, and you can just transpose the whole chord to one that fits in your progression. other times, it doesn't move.. it's only the C/E/G right here on this octave, and no other notes nearby. so what could cause that?

if you think about it in 'absolute' terms, for example, let's use a sawtooth... a major chord at any note should have the exact same harmonic relationships; i.e. the 'sound' should be the same, in the way all piano keys 'sound' the same, just at different pitches. but for some sounds, maybe it doesn't. that means something is keeping them from having the same harmonic relationships.

on many acoustic instruments, the intervals between notes aren't 'exactly' a 12th... a piano (just intonation) has a couple notes per octave 'tweaked' for instance; so transposing across those notes may be slightly off, and not have the exact same relationships; a slight change might take away the 'magic' you heard, who knows. try sampling & transposing then.

for electronic instruments, we have even more going on, lots of complex things that can affect harmonic relationships. for example, a resonant filter will emphasize harmonics near the cutoff frequency. maybe if the cutoff is set right near the E, a C/E/G might have one or two of the C harmonics emphasized, and the G de-emphasized, and you don't even realize it but it sounds 'good'. if your filter is not keytracking at exactly 1:1, perhaps going up an octave will not have the cutoff right near the E anymore, and the C harmonics will not be emphasized, and the actual 'tone' changes. if you can figure out what might be causing the change, you can adjust the patch programming to compensate.

if you can't, you might be able to sample the 'magic' notes, and use a sampler to transpose them. this still won't necessarily help with making it fit your chord progression though... an A and a C will always be a minor third (which you can probably fit somewhere, but maybe not); a C/E/G will always be a major chord (and if your progression needs a minor, well it just won't work), etc.

if there are errors, please correct them.

Message 7/9                 Date: 27-Nov-02  @  05:31 PM   -   RE: Combined fundamentals...

Steve Roughley

Yeah, I've just been reading some similar information. One thing that I have just found out, which has been causing alot of my problems, is that a sound needs to be slightly out of tune to be played in different keys. I found that making major adjustments to the detune of a single tone in a sound has a magical effect of making the sound fit to the melody more tightly.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 8/9                 Date: 27-Nov-02  @  07:43 PM   -   RE: Combined fundamentals...

errata

simple synth tip from the painfully uninitiated dance music guy...

an LFO synced to tempo and adjusting the pitch of an oscillator up just a few semitones over time will make a melody harmonize and sparkle! assigning the same LFO to open the filter in time with the pitch change will give it even more character and accentuate the harmony.

Also, when designing a sound with multiple oscillators at different semitones it's good to have one oscillatorthat is a little louder and set to the key of the track, then the others are free to go crazy...

Not half as educational as psy's post, but hopefully useful...

e

Message 9/9                 Date: 27-Nov-02  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: Combined fundamentals...

Steve Roughley

Very useful indeed errata. That might have been just the tip that I was orignially looking for. Just wich I could try it out. If only I could be in my studio instead of working on this god-damned Networking project. ;/

Aaaarrrrgh. I just want to make music!!!!

Sorry. My IT degree is really getting to me ATM.

Steve.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum