0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Layering Diff Time Sig Over 4/4

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  02:04 PM   -   Layering Diff Time Sig Over 4/4

Drop

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I know K wrote a really good article about using different time signatures to spice up beats and thought I'd bring it up again.

Do any of you change the time signatures like say over a 4/4 kick drum to input different rythmns over the top?

I've been using 5/8 to input hats and have got some interesting results.

Any other ideas or pointers?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: Layering Diff Time Sig Over 4/4

knowa

Link?:  Link

grab one or two bars of your 5/8 or whatever) hats and nudge it forward in increments of 1/32 until it "flips the beat up". then go back and forth between your two off-kilter hat beats. stuff like that.

Message 3/6                 Date: 16-Sep-02  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Layering Diff Time Sig Over 4/4

Brett

Link?:  No link

william orbit did this on many songs with his delays and some of his fills.

Message 4/6                 Date: 17-Sep-02  @  01:08 AM   -   RE: Layering Diff Time Sig Over 4/4

toast

Link?: Link

If you are composing on a pc there's a brilliant freeware plugin for doing this sort of shit, machine II. It's a drum sampler/sequencer but each key is assigned to a sequence not a sound and each sequence can have a completely different number of steps which you can change as it plays. You start layering the sequences on top of each other and ... loads of fun. It's kinda like multiple time signatures for dummies.

Message 5/6                 Date: 17-Sep-02  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: Layering Diff Time Sig Over 4/4

xoxos

currently trying to steer myself in terms of minimalist polyrhythm with like 38/4ths et c.

Message 6/6                 Date: 18-Mar-03  @  01:30 PM   -   RE: Layering Diff Time Sig Over 4/4

dub-munkey

got some good galloping techno grooves from just turning the swing up almost all the way and then cutting a one beat segment out and looping that- the beat sort of lolls into the next beat- needs a bit of jiggery pokery but can sound sweet.....

but that tim sigs thing has got me thinking....

greg

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum