0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: A Question for Steve Roughley

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 29-Aug-02  @  02:04 PM   -   A Question for Steve Roughley

Drop

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Steve, I like your tracks, especially "tech me away". 2 questions if you don't mind.

1. What key is "tech me away" in?

2. In "batmobeats", you have a reversed sound before the track takes off. Is it a reverse kick? I hear this sound in alot of Timo Maas tracks.

Cheers.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 29-Aug-02  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: A Question for Steve Roughley

Steve Roughley

I'll just go check. Hold on.

Steve.

Message 3/10                 Date: 29-Aug-02  @  08:09 PM     Edit: 29-Aug-02  |  08:09 PM   -   RE: A Question for Steve Roughley

Steve Roughley

File?:  File

Filtered_Perc012.mp3

Right, Tech me Away is in A-flat (G#). And that sound, if I've got the right one, is a percussive sound that I created a while ago. I use it in almost all of my tracks and it was a very long process, which I can't really recall, to get it right, so instead of explaining I'll add it to this message for you to use. All I did was reverse it and used the tape-delay (check my post under 'mad delay tips' in the mixing and fx forum), and that's it.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 4/10                 Date: 29-Aug-02  @  08:20 PM     Edit: 29-Aug-02  |  08:22 PM   -   RE: A Question for Steve Roughley

Steve Roughley

Drop, just read your post about bass and have to agree that G or A-flat are the nicest to work in with bass, it just gets 'that' middle sound. Not too low not too twangy. This is true on my Electribe and JP8080 and I usually build my tracks around that.

Just ordered my Virus C today. How's yours treating you?

Regards.

Steve.

Message 5/10                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: A Question for Steve Roughley

Drop

Thanks for posting that sample and telling me about the "A" key. Sound.

My virus is cool but to be honest, over the last 3/4 weeks, I've been using the es1 more (version 5 is on order) and I'm managing to get a more techy bass/stabs/etc sound out of it.

The thing I find with the virus is that it does take up alot of headroom once I get past using 3 sounds. Also, with me using the exs24 coupled with the es1 mt tracks seems to be so much tighter. The stabs sound like stabs(really percussive) and groove along with the drums.

Now, when I get Logic 5 and start using the es2, I think my techy house will almost be ready.

Its really annoying that you can't assign individual outs though in version 5 (although the tech at emagic said you could but Bedwyr said you can't). I mean my plan is to sell my hardware samplers and maybe a synth and I want to have 24 outputs from 3 terratec cards each running down individual channels on my desk. This way I can used the desk eq and use outboard compression and reverb to warm up the sound (don't wanna be too digital).

It seems mad that you can't individually assign say audio instrument 1 to the card output 1. I know I can hard pan samples but that means I will have to use 1 sound per 1 track if I want that sound to be pannable on my desk. There must be a way round it?

Cheers.

Message 6/10                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: A Question for Steve Roughley

k

Link?:  Link

what do you mean you CAN do that just assign ES1 to say stereo out 1/2 and hard pan the es1 channel HARD left and it'll ONLy come out of output 1 of that pair surely?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/10                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  04:23 PM   -   RE: A Question for Steve Roughley

Drop

Yer you can do that K and that's what I've been doing. But once I hard pan a sound I'm stuck with it being in the centre if I want another sound to come out of the same output.

I mean if I decide to pan a rim out of output 1 to say 9 o'clock, then every other sound that i've assigned to output 1 will have the same pan position. That's rubbish and mean anything I want to pan via the desk pots will have to have its own output. I'm only going to have 24 outputs and I have to fit all the drums, audio FX returns and softsynths into 24 outputs.

I cannot honestly believe that you can't assign a mono esx24 to come out of only output 1. If you could then I could have all my hats coming out of one output but individually pan them to where I wanted within the logic audio faders or the zones in the esx24.

I mean if you can assign the master outs to individual outs (1e 1-8) why are you stuck with only outputs 1&2 on the audio instrument tracks?

Message 8/10                 Date: 05-Sep-02  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: A Question for Steve Roughley

milan

Link?: Link

bounce baby, bounce... and if you bounce you will free up channels for other stuff.

Message 9/10                 Date: 05-Sep-02  @  01:27 PM   -   RE: A Question for Steve Roughley

k

well that's the way it is, you'll get that in any situation like this with any gear... you cant create pan positions in a mono field.

I dont get what you mean... you say you want to send a soft-synth OUt to ONLY card OUT 1... but that's then a mono send arriving at your hardware mixer via card OUt-1... so what's the problem?... you then pan that within the hardware mixer stereo field using the hardware mixer channel pan.

Message 10/10                 Date: 06-Sep-02  @  11:57 AM   -   RE: A Question for Steve Roughley

bedwyr

Link?:  Link

don't listen to me drop ...

i'll post it in the logic forum

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum