0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: virus unison

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/17                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  09:02 AM   -   virus unison

liquidphire

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi, I just started working with Virus B and I have a question about its polyphony in unison mode. I don't have it at home (it's in the studio) so I can't try it myself until Saturday. Here's the question: if I create a patch that's using 16 voice unison mode, does that mean the entire polyphony of Virus is exhausted? I mean I can't use that 16 voice unison patch in multi-timbral mode, can I? Meaning, using that said patch for separate parts simultaneously.

Thank you in advance!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/17                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  02:41 PM   -   RE: virus unison

Maarten

Link?:  Link

Hello? The Access section hasn't been used for weeks or months and now there's an opportunity and you put this here... ;)

Having said that, yes... when you create a patch using 16 voices and run another patch simultaniously one will 'steal' voices off the other. The Virus also has the ability to give higher priority to different patches in this case... don't know how exactly but it's in the manual for sure.

good luck & have fun!

-M-

Message 3/17                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: virus unison

k

btw - access are sending us some groovy 'special limted-edition' access t-shirts for a competition prize...  

stay tuned for that!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/17                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: virus unison

99devils

I noticed yesterday that they had T-shirts for sale on their website. Nice looking, too.

-Craig

Message 5/17                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  08:17 PM   -   RE: virus unison

influx

not sure why you would use 16 voices but yes thats it

Message 6/17                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  09:37 PM   -   RE: virus unison

99devils

Actually, I tried that out just the other day, with a patch that has lots of stereo movement. When those extra voices (12 in my case) are spread out an affected by the panning, you get some ridiculously huge stuff. Too huge for the track, unfortunately   I had to cut it back to 6 voices..

Message 7/17                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: virus unison

influx

exactly what I meant.

but hey

Message 8/17                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: virus unison

Maarten

So K, should I wait with ordering through their site or is there no thinking involved in the competition?

Message 9/17                 Date: 11-Jul-02  @  10:49 PM   -   RE: virus unison

Maarten

Uhh.. that's not right... should I order directly or is no thinking involved. Well, proofed my pint, uhh point  

Message 10/17                 Date: 12-Jul-02  @  10:54 AM   -   RE: virus unison

liquidphire

The reason why I ended up using 16 voices was that I tried to recreate a JP-8000 lead, which sounds HUGE. We don't have a JP-8000/8080 anymore, but we need that kind of a sound for one of the tracks. Any programming tricks with Virus to achieve that "7 detuned saws + sub osc" lead sound? TIA.

Peace!

Message 11/17                 Date: 12-Jul-02  @  11:31 AM   -   RE: virus unison

Maarten

7 detuned saws + sub? Don't you need like 2 1/2 Viruses for that?

Message 12/17                 Date: 12-Jul-02  @  12:00 PM   -   RE: virus unison

xoxos

chorus?..

Message 13/17                 Date: 12-Jul-02  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: virus unison

99devils

Some suggestions: use a layered patch, Chorus or a real short delay might help as well. If you have a sampler, get a sample of that supersaw wave and try recreating it with the sampler.

-Craig

Message 14/17                 Date: 12-Jul-02  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: virus unison

influx

well seein how the JP is what...4 or 8 voice it couldnt possibly be 16 voices as the basis for that sound?

JPs have that supersaw, right? that might be it...

Message 15/17                 Date: 12-Jul-02  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: virus unison

99devils

Yeah, it's the supersaw he's trying to recreate.

-Craig

Message 16/17                 Date: 20-Jul-02  @  12:02 AM   -   RE: virus unison

Errata

the supersaw is just resampled saws in rom. Chorus is the best way to get a saw to sound like detuned saws, crank the resonance or q on the chorus (if you have the option) or on the filter if not to get that out of sync effect of multiple oscillators. Not as good as the original.

I'd sample!

Influx, I've used 10 voices layered for Jungle Bass drivers! Each with different filter movement. You just can't go too deep, or you'll kill everything else. But that's how I get those heavy assed basslines in MY jungle trax!

e

Message 17/17                 Date: 20-Jul-02  @  05:03 AM   -   RE: virus unison

influx

YOUR jungle tracks? I thought you did TRANCE! 

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum