0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Lovely, Lovely Little...

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 06-Jun-02  @  10:47 PM   -   Happy Birthday Lovely, Lovely Little...

boo_meister

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Adopted 3 years ago today!!!

Little Prophet, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

Ahhhh...

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 07-Jun-02  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: Lovely, Lovely Little...

Pongoid

Link?: Link

Yes, beautiful machine. Nthing on earth sounds like it, especially live. Great board. A photo of your unit?

Ape

Message 3/8                 Date: 07-Jun-02  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: Lovely, Lovely Little...

boo_meister

Nah, this isn't my unit. Mines a little more 'used' looking than this one.

Mine needs to visit the doctors up in wine country to have one of it's keys repaired soon.

I like spotting it's presets in CD's. I noticed the Brass 2 patch is the one from Yazoo's 'don't go'. And I'm sure I heard it in a Kate Bush track the other day. It has a definate breathy warmness to it.

Message 4/8                 Date: 07-Jun-02  @  06:53 PM   -   RE: Lovely, Lovely Little...

knowa

Link?:  Link

yeah, that NI s/w rocks ;)

Message 5/8                 Date: 07-Jun-02  @  07:00 PM     Edit: 07-Jun-02  |  07:02 PM   -   RE: Lovely, Lovely Little...

boo_meister

:P

Which has the nicest wood, though?

Which has a huge heat sink that burns your fingers?

Crusty, cheap feeling keys?

Which has the driftiest oscillators that need a hit of the tune button every 30 mins?

Huh??

Here is a fun comparison:

Playing a Prophet is like Driving a Porsche.

Playing a Prophet Plugin is like playing a Porsche computer game.

Now do you see???

Software is convinient, but Analog is pure love!!!

Message 6/8                 Date: 07-Jun-02  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: Lovely, Lovely Little...

Brett

Link?: Link

the pro-52 rocks in a thick mix, but to play a propphet and hear the quirkyness of the osc is somthing quit diferant. Analog is so funky compared to the digital emulation. The sound is more unpredictable and over the coarse of a song it constantly changes slightly. Also you are limited by sample rate in the digital world. A soft synth sounds like an analog instrument that has been compressed heavily and recorded to a digital medium without the use of good preamps. It has a much more steril sound. It helps you fit it into a mix better. Analog synths have a way of taking over and need a lot of eq, and comp to sit with a bunch of stuff because of the dynamics change so much.

Yazzoo was all played live ,for the most part to tape and cut to tape loops. Pure analog all the way until CD mastering. The early mixes anyway. But try getting those big analog synth sounds when you have forty other soundscape and drums layers going. The pro52 is so damn easy to get a good sound in a mix but it doesn't sound as bright because it's the equivilant of dull digital recording. Maybe using higher sample rates with better DA on the soundcard would yeild a more realistic result. Like a 24/192 softsynth. It's pretty nice to have the plug-in if you don't have $1500 laying around for a non midi synth vintage synth that buzzez and makes weird noises until it gets warm..

Message 7/8                 Date: 07-Jun-02  @  10:42 PM   -   RE: Lovely, Lovely Little...

boo_meister

It's all down to what you can prefer or can afford, Brett! I was lucky to find one pretty cheap. Bought it there and then.

However, It's true that the Prophet does take a lot of EQ taming. If you try and fit sounds from it into a busy mix, you pretty much just can't do it without ripping the guts out of the thing with savage EQ cuts, and then it's really not worth it. You should find another more suitable synth for 'thinner' noises. I've always found it best build a mix around the Prophet's sound.

...And having 40 or so other soundscapes and noises going at once doesn't really interest me personally. I prefer to use a few noises that take up more of the freq spectrum, rather than lots of little slithers.

...And sometimes those buzzes and weird Osc noises are good things.

...Oh, and mine has midi.

The software version certainly has it's place and gets some good results, but I know what I like.

Message 8/8                 Date: 09-Jun-02  @  02:12 AM   -   RE: Lovely, Lovely Little...

Brett

cool. I like the original too. But just don't jhabe the cash, so the softsynth works and I can load ten of them if I want. And it has some nice midi sync features, big unison with up to 50 voices, not that you would ever use them.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum