0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: ringmod on virusA

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 17-May-02  @  03:54 PM   -   ringmod on virusA

swanofnever

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hi,
lately i've found that 50% of the patches i make on the virus are of the "ringmod only" variety; am i strange?

it really sounds like it's clipping internally or something... anyway i love the sound.

on a related note: a lot of these patches are chaotic/have lots of buzz/rasp in them (really grating sound). here's the strange part: i've found that if i add some noise (doesn't matter how much, just a LITTLE will do) that suddenly the buzz/grating sound dissapears.

my question is: is this due to some property of sound, or is it the dsp algos? my current theory is: something is clipping like crazy (which generates the grating sounds) -- imagine that the wave (as internally represented) can only go as low as the 0 line (i know this probably is stupid, but just imagine) -- so if i'm generating a wave that dips below 0, it'll clip like crazy and sound really harsh. but if i add a TOUCH of noise, it suddenly raises the lowest point on the wave above the 0 line, and thus no more clipping...

or maybe the wave just ceases to exist periodically; i could see how adding a bit of noise would smooth this out (instead of fluctuating on/off, the wave wouldn't even quite be "off"/cease to exist -- it would instead exist at a really low volume)... i don't know...

sorry if this is idiotic, i'm just sort of confused -- adding a SLIGHT bit of white noise suddenly changes the sound a LOT. anyone else had this happen?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 17-May-02  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: ringmod on virusA

knowa

Link?:  Link

are you sure that the knobs are not in "absolute mode" and that when you think you're adding a hint of noise, you're actually *removing* the white noise from the patch, hence, cleaning up the sound?

Message 3/8                 Date: 17-May-02  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: ringmod on virusA

swanofnever

hi,

yeah, positive... it sounds nothing like white noise... it's just this really nasty grating sound. hard to explain... can't remember exactly how i do it. try:

-turn ringmod all the way up
-turn off osc vol
-set an LFO to modulate one of the oscs (pitch, or PWM)
-crank the LFO speed up to over 100

i'm not sure if that'll work... but basically, something in the ringmod algo is sort of "dirty"; it makes this awful, harsh sound that sounds NOTHING like anything else that can come out of the virus. really grungy... like 4bit or something... and really LOUD too. much more "powerful" than the oscs.

the thing is:

ADDING the noise CLEANS UP the sound (_removes_ the nastyness/clipping)

with NO noise, it sould aweful/grizzly. add an inaudible amount of noise, and the harshness suddenly goes away.

i'd post a patch dump but i'm at work/lazy...

Message 4/8                 Date: 25-Sep-03  @  03:40 AM   -   RE: ringmod on virusA

queasy00

Link?:  Link

did you ever figure this out?

-j

Message 5/8                 Date: 26-Sep-03  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: ringmod on virusA

Steve Roughley

Man... this sounds completely screwed!!! I find the ring mod adds fatness, depth and grit to the sound, but nothing like distortion, esp when Osc Vol is switched to off! The Virus isn't the calmest of synths, but it takes me alot to cause internal clipping. I would compare your Virus to another to see if there is any difference.

Regards.

Stephen.

Message 6/8                 Date: 08-Oct-03  @  09:14 PM   -   RE: ringmod on virusA

scrotalsack

so if you like how it sounds.... what are you complaining
about?  

personally, i sold my B and am going to re-aqquire an "A"
for EXACTLY this reason... I used to be able to get a nasty
edge to my sounds out of the A that the B simply would not
do. the B, and also the C, are just too "nice" sounding.
nothing wrong with that, it's just not my cup of tea. i want
the "scream" in my tracks....

Message 7/8                 Date: 08-Oct-03  @  09:25 PM   -   RE: ringmod on virusA

99devils

Link?: Link

Interesting. I don't have a Virus B or C to compare to, but I have found something similar in the sounds of the Nord I vs the Nord II. It's very subtle on the Nords though.

-Craig

Message 8/8                 Date: 17-Oct-03  @  11:04 PM   -   RE: ringmod on virusA

R.A.T.

Man.... my Virus C screams like a whore.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum