0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: shall we.......

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/27                 Date: 16-May-02  @  09:06 PM   -   shall we.......

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

start a genre section?.... a basic text for each and people can nominate tracks in each page which appear?.. (pref' somehow with audio examples) ??

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/27                 Date: 16-May-02  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

brentym

Link?: Link

you da boss, man...

Message 3/27                 Date: 16-May-02  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

sitar

Not sure what you mean, but it sounds good.

Message 4/27                 Date: 16-May-02  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

gb

Yeah, that would probably help me as I have trouble finding out what genre any particular melody belongs to.

There are two problems, tho. 1) Who's the boss ? Who's going to decide what genre any particular tune belongs to ? And, 2) isn't there going to be loads of stuff that doesn't really fit any genre ?

Message 5/27                 Date: 17-May-02  @  01:31 AM   -   RE: shall we.......

k

well people just can post tracks/artists (meaning text) that they nominate as good examples of the genre... so it builds a list over time of good artists & tracks in various genre's?...

but to add audio?.. i dunno that's another ball game... i dunno.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/27                 Date: 17-May-02  @  02:35 AM   -   RE: shall we.......

sitarsong

I get it. So it would be a text genre forum then. That is a good idea. We already have a track forum. I think in adding a track there needs to be something to click for tracks that don't fit a set genre. A lot of that comes from lack of experience and skill, speaking of myself there. But something that gives a recognition of tracks that don't fit. As people develop here and more people start contributing there are bound to be new ideas and even new genres born. Just a thought.

Message 7/27                 Date: 17-May-02  @  12:13 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

k

Link?:  No link

sure, but if we stick to defined genre's then newbies can work out what is a crossover by becoming familiar with the characteristic of tracks that are strickly fixed to a genre... mebbe? - i dunno.

Message 8/27                 Date: 17-May-02  @  12:22 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

sitar

yea. I still haven't gotten it all straight.

Message 9/27                 Date: 19-May-02  @  06:16 AM   -   RE: shall we.......

Brett

who decides what is what. there are so many people that say this is this, or that. But it's all reletive to your local way of seeing things.

Message 10/27                 Date: 19-May-02  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

k

no, surely?... drum&bass is drum&bass, house is house, trance is trance and club-trance is clubtrance etc... innit?

Message 11/27                 Date: 19-May-02  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

Pongoid

I say no to genres. I think that divides us. We are individuals, but we all have the common goal of trying to move others regardless of our interpretation of sound and aesthetic. At the heart of it, It's ALL Electronic Dance Music, and putting names on each type is jsut for DJs and folks too ignorant, disrespectful, or time pressed to listen to each piece and recognize the individuality. It also reflects our 'throw-away' attitude toward our own pieces and others'. Perhaps more time should be taken on each piece, giving it more identity and signiture, as well as value, rather than this acquiesense to mass-consumerist pressures. Smaller releases of higher quality, and more craftsmanship in each piece over simple-minded uncaring audiences. It's time for a change. Time to make folks see us as the innovators and heroes that we are, rather than the faceless tools for DJs to use to their benefit/glory and our poverty/ignominy. Perhaps it is time to get people more interested in what is happening musically and physically so that folks ask 'when are you playing?' rather than 'Are you a DJ? When are you spinning?'. Then a gain, maybe I'm just the fucked up one, and you folks LIKE being shat upon. Count me out of the genres game. I make wierd electronic noises, and some folks like to dance to it. That's all I ever say when folks ask me what I do. Other than that I am a MUSICIAN, period. I'm not a Junglist, or techno-head or any of that. That shit's for closed-minded assholes, losers, and fuck-ups as far as I'm concerned. The worlds physical and musical are both bigger than that.

Ape

Message 12/27                 Date: 19-May-02  @  08:34 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

xoxos

you can count me out of the musician game, i'm a creative being. and out of the physical game, music especially trancends physics.

but since nobody's going to get with that except maybe nobody, i vote for putting what pongoid said somewhere on a plaque.

somebody do something about all these stupid people around me please.

Message 13/27                 Date: 19-May-02  @  10:40 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

Mindspawn

small caliber firearms are generally most efficient....

Message 14/27                 Date: 19-May-02  @  11:14 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

Mindspawn

The genres thing though, I dunno. My own take is that I hate genres, BUT they provide a means to search certain things out. I'd really hate to crawl through a bunch of breaks if I was only after house or whatnot.... Sure, some stuff will cross lines, and no, lines aren't necessary or desired on many levels. Still, it's a useful tool, especially for anyone that is or is going to be dealing with anything on the commercial side of things....

I can't see it hurting anything. Folks who dunna want to see it dunna have to use the forum. And, there's obviously a lot of folks that are curious about genres. Whether "we" all appreciate genres or not is really unimportant, genres ARE a part of the scene so I dunna see the harm in having a forum about them.

Message 15/27                 Date: 20-May-02  @  04:32 AM   -   RE: shall we.......

Pongoid

They area part of the scene as long as we leave them in place, or support using them.

Ape

Message 16/27                 Date: 20-May-02  @  07:50 AM   -   RE: shall we.......

influx

well...damn..IM not that gung ho about it...

just wonder how you tell someone what you sound like if you dont have a CD and/or player handy?

"my tunes go 'boom chikka bap chikka chikka boom bap...at a tempo usually between 128 and 135 or so, and I tend to use heavier sounding basslines....blah blah blah"

hehe

Message 17/27                 Date: 20-May-02  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

Pongoid

You don't tell them what you sound like. You tell them where to find it, where they can buy the records if they want vinyl, and where you're playing next. You make music because you can't convey the message any other way. If they want to hear your message, they HAVE to listen to the music. If they don't want to make the effort, then fuck 'em anyhow, cuz they aren't even worth talking to at that point.

Ape

Message 18/27                 Date: 20-May-02  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

xoxos

i gotta side with pongoid on this, there's a loss in anima by buying into a scheme.

same way you describe a painting. if someone doesn't know the names of colours you can't expect them to understand that. if someone can't grasp the terms you use to reflect ideas or emotions you associate with the forms, that won't work either.

but it'd be nice if more people were more familiar with these specific vocabularies than the the pertinent only to the market system.

Message 19/27                 Date: 20-May-02  @  08:01 PM     Edit: 20-May-02  |  08:05 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

Mindspawn

"there's a loss in anima by buying into a scheme."

Like what you're sayin' isn't? It's all a scheme, whether it's your's, some commercial corp, or the consumer on the street. If you don't want to "buy" into it, don't. It dunna mean anyone else should follow your lead (unless that's their own take, too.), nor does it mean you have to follow anyone else's. No choice just equates to a kind of censorship. If you don't want to participate, don't. I just think people that do want that should have it available. What are you scared of afterall?

Message 20/27                 Date: 20-May-02  @  08:08 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

Mindspawn

You know... after thinking about it. You're right.... No genres.

How's it go..? Long live our insect overlords....

Message 21/27                 Date: 20-May-02  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

k

"my tunes go 'boom chikka bap chikka chikka boom bap...at a tempo usually between 128 and 135 or so, and I tend to use heavier sounding basslines....blah blah blah"

lol!

yes I KNOW all that, you want to hear my death metal riff's mate on guitar!!.. they are awesome, but that's not the point

I just meant it for the visitors... newbies who say what is this that makes that style be called 'x'

and people can dd tracks they think are good in that style just to give some order of category

I mean for example, you personaly might not mind a place to see good tips to new music you didnt know in a style you like... but you'd be a bit hacked off if after searching a piece out it turns out to be a cheezy melodic trance 'anthem' which you might not be into at all

so in that respect it is PERFECTLY sensible - people also have to travel miles to get to clubs at times or to get to events, often in another town, city or part of the country, or even abroad, and they buy tickets in advance etc so they need to know what style of music will be played surely????

in that respect genre's serve a perfectly useful function...

Message 22/27                 Date: 21-May-02  @  02:08 AM   -   RE: shall we.......

xoxos

mindspawn, course some schemes are yours w/o having to buy into them. i've always had schemes. i guess some people might not.. "the more you are yourself, the more interesting you are" cos when you try and be someone else, you might not get it dead-on, right?

i agree with you as well k. i like to agree, it's so fun. it'd be a mess today w/o genres w/ so many people plying your attention who ARE genreists, but i think it's an ideal to work towards.

i started discoing in the mid eighties and dance songs didn't have a set instrumentation or tempo. some songs were happy, some were silly, others were all some other way of being. it was art for flip's sake, "decent proper music," whether completely electronic or drums and guitars.

i know you know i'm just putting this forth as a public forum and all, but we used to have a helluva time dancing about to 'lovecats' and if you listen to it the kickdrum sounds like someone tapping the bottom of a cup in the other room it's so quiet. just some brushes and an upright bass.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM 8pm to 4am or some crap shiiiiiiit clone wars sure but got it wrong

Message 23/27                 Date: 21-May-02  @  11:07 AM   -   RE: shall we.......

jon

mp3.cum here we come?

Message 24/27                 Date: 21-May-02  @  11:45 AM   -   RE: shall we.......

k

doh!

Message 25/27                 Date: 23-May-02  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

dru

maybe it'd be cool to make dancetech tracks searchable by "artist-defined" genres and see what sort of playlists come up.

Make a genre forum called "Dope Shit" and I'll spend my time there thankyou.

Message 26/27                 Date: 24-May-02  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: shall we.......

Pongoid

I dunno. It's kind of a shame because as soon as somebody says the T word, I don't even want to give something a listen, and that's not good for me either, but without genres it's just music. If somebody says "electro". I practicly get a hard -on while I'm DL'ing the track to check it out, and if it sucks then I hate the musician for defiling the name and not living up to the standard. Bad monkey!! No genres for me, thanks. Can't handle them. Too much prejudice involved.

Ape

Message 27/27                 Date: 24-May-02  @  01:11 PM   -   RE: shall we.......

k

lol! - I only suggested it so people who pass thru can add tracks they rate highly & build a cool list of tracks... thatsall  

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum