0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Stereo Delay Units

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13                 Date: 08-May-02  @  01:32 PM   -   Stereo Delay Units

Drop

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can somebody recommend me a good stereo delay unit? Only hardware though. My budget could stretch to maybe £300.

Do Bel make stereo delay units?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/13                 Date: 08-May-02  @  01:50 PM   -   RE: Stereo Delay Units

damballah

Link?: Link

TC D-Two?

Message 3/13                 Date: 08-May-02  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: Stereo Delay Units

k

Link?:  Link

Korg (I've got one, sdd1200)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/13                 Date: 08-May-02  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: Stereo Delay Units

j-type

TC D-two is a shade over £300 (about £350), but worth it. For the same price you could get the funky Line6 EchoPro, both have different strengths.

Sony D7 is about £250 secondhand, Roland SDD330 same sort of price.

Message 5/13                 Date: 09-May-02  @  06:42 AM   -   RE: Stereo Delay Units

tortoise

Roland SDE-330 is excellent for the money, a real programmers delay. The TC D-Two is also good and very powerful, but for different things, and is a little more of a preset box (you don't have as much control over the parameters).

In my case, I got pissed off at the programming limitations of the D-Two and replaced it with a Roland SDE-330 (for US$275) which I am very pleased with generally.

Message 6/13                 Date: 09-May-02  @  10:10 AM   -   RE: Stereo Delay Units

j-type

oops, that's right. SDE330 not SDD (thinking of the Korgs again)

Message 7/13                 Date: 09-May-02  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: Stereo Delay Units

Defector Z

I got a Roland SRV3030d for under 300 US. Hell of a deal - you might still be able to get one at that. It's dual mono. Great unit.

Message 8/13                 Date: 10-May-02  @  12:51 AM   -   RE: Stereo Delay Units

steve

korg dl8000r is nice too.

Message 9/13                 Date: 10-May-02  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: Stereo Delay Units

j-type

SRV3030 is a fantastic unit, but its a reverb not a delay.

Message 10/13                 Date: 10-May-02  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: Stereo Delay Units

Defector Z

primarily reverb, yes, but delay as well. Midi-syncable, and fully programmable.

Message 11/13                 Date: 10-May-02  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: Stereo Delay Units

j-type

how do you set up a basic delay patch? and sync the delays to MIDI? mine's just got reverb algorithms (plus simple reverb-augmenting FX like phaser etc.)

Some of the patches fake delay by clever programming of the taps, but it's not the real deal. The manual never mentions delay, it describes the unit as a dedicated reverb in fact.

Message 12/13                 Date: 12-May-02  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: Stereo Delay Units

tortoise

Most decent reverb units can be used as fairly competent delay boxes. In some ways they are actually more capable than many dedicated delay boxes, and in some ways weaker. Because I tend to use multitaps a lot (I even prefer to simulate feedback with taps rather than actual feedback most of the time), reverbs make very good delays, though the delay time tends to be a bit short since you are really just hijacking the early reflection engine. Nonetheless, a reverb with a strong early reflection engine may give you 20 or 40 pannable taps that you can program individually, and with up to a few seconds of delay time. Its not quite as easy as a dedicated delay, but nothing to scoff at and pretty powerful in its element. And some units, such as the SRV3030 mentioned, have their reflection engine tightly integrated with MIDI.

It is certainly something to keep in mind if you need an extra delay and aren't using your reverb.

Message 13/13                 Date: 12-May-02  @  10:54 AM   -   RE: Stereo Delay Units

j-type

"Its not quite as easy as a dedicated delay..."

Understatement of the year! The SRV 'only' has 12 taps at most, each with 5 parameters to adjust. To simulate a simple decaying ping-pong delay with 12 'bounces' requires 60 parameter adjustments!!! e.g. to produce a progressive HF rolloff means you have to set the HF freq and gain independently for each tap, something that takes all of a second to set on a regular delay.

If you want to set up a delay quickly, this isn't the way to do it. Say you want a 115bpm triplet-quarternote delay, 40% feedback with HF roll-off on the repeats for example... ouch.

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum