0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Gin and tonic please

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/26                 Date: 21-Apr-02  @  07:47 PM   -   Gin and tonic please

proximus

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi,

I'm new to the board and I'd really like some feedback on my song. It is called Past Times and fits the chillout genre quite well.

http://www.dancetech.com/members/my_tracks/ram/DT_ACFB301385915.m3u

Sorry for the misleading topic, but enjoying a gin and tonic while listening to this song is not just a bad idea, but also a great suggestion.

Cheers!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/26                 Date: 21-Apr-02  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

damballah

Airplane smaple. heh heh. "I speak jive."

Message 3/26                 Date: 21-Apr-02  @  07:58 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

proximus

hehe.. I thought nobody would recognize it  

What you think of the rest of the song then?

Message 4/26                 Date: 21-Apr-02  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

Paullyboy8440

I like it! its great! I was waiting for the beat to come back and it did! wow! got my vote.

Message 5/26                 Date: 21-Apr-02  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

bedwyr

Link?:  Link

halooo. yes. piano's a bit quiet, dontcha think? either that or the drums & bass are too loud. but it's the same thing. try and simplify that piano melody bit in the break & make a feature? maybe? ok. yes.

Message 6/26                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  03:29 AM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

damballah

everything I type may be wrong 'cause of these crap little computer speakers but the sounds seem a bit ordinary or common, like maybe they're presets, and everything seems so upfront and direct, like a synth plugged right into the sound card, lacking any back to front depth and space.

preamps, tubes, amp simulators, miked amps, actual and simulated spaces. good things. burnish the surfaces, take some of the gloss off. but like I said, these are impressions from a lo-fi file through some polk audio crap, your mileage may vary.

Message 7/26                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  12:13 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

proximus

Thanks for the replies, it's really helpful to get some real feedback.

Paullyboy8440: Thanks man, by the way I love your breaks.

bedwyr: Yeah the piano is a bit quiet, it's not that obvious in the hifi version.

damballah: I wanted a clean sound, but not a sterile sound though, hehe. Some of the sounds are preset yes, 50-50.

By the way, I disagree with k that you shouldn't put your good sound quality versions of your tracks online because somebody might rip- or bootleg them. High quality is so much better, especially stereo.. hehe. What if artists started releasing cds in low quality so that nobody would bootleg it?

I can put up a link with the high quality version of it if anyone's interested.

Cheers!

Message 8/26                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

influx

you cant do anything about CD, but K's point was that what if you DID put up a quality track and YOU never got to see it to fruition because someone ganked it

yet another one that thinks his stuff is just too damn good for lofi.

Message 9/26                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  08:55 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

Paleface

Link?:  No link

Yeah, I like this a lot - it's the kind-of stuff I'd like to produce if I could bother to sit down with the sampler long enough. Or more to the point, if I had time to spend days and days on music - like I will this summer.

But yeah. The piano chords are nice, tight sevenths and ninths, it works, the kick's nice, and the bass is pretty good on my shithouse PC speakers - would love to hear a hi-fi version. It's not outstanding, but certainly pleasant, and fulfils its needs.

Message 10/26                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

proximus

It has nothing to do with that I think my music is too damn good for lofi, it's just that hifi sounds better.

Paleface: thanks man, I'll email you the link for the hifi

Message 11/26                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

proximus

What's the point in investing fortunes in gear to make your sounds sound good, or try to improve your recording sills if nobody is gonna hear them in good quality?

Message 12/26                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

steve

practically everyone is still on dialup so they won`t be able to hear your tracks at all without a lofi feed.

and they won`t bother with a 4+ meg dl either just to find out whether a tracks good or not.

Message 13/26                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

proximus

That's a good point

Message 14/26                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

Paullyboy8440

ya thats the thing, i won't stream hi-fi on my 56k because it rebuffers like virtually every 3 seconds. If i want to listen to hi-fi, i would need to download it.

Message 15/26                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  10:08 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

influx

yeah..I didnt meant it 'that' harshly, but the point HERE is to just get..some comments...

of course you want the best version out there representin, but the bottom line is that a good song will sound good no matter what

I had a track up here of an Uberzone song...and it was 28/22 mono just like everyone elses and it sounded very good. amazingly good, which kinda shoved the "oh, its lofi so it doesnt sound good" argument out the door brutally and kicked it in the pants on the way out, then slammed the door.

a good mix with a good encoder will sound fine. sure you lose a bit, but honestly this one sounded quite solid still

so..you CAN get a decent sound in lofi mono. flat out truth

Message 16/26                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

proximus

Thanks man, I guess you're all right. Not everybody has got fast internet lines and the idea is to get comments on your stuff. And I guess I was an ignorant snobb about this sound quality.

Cheers!

Message 17/26                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  12:19 AM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

influx

nah. just a snob  we dunno if youre ignorant.

Message 18/26                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  12:22 AM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

proximus

hehe.. thanks..

Message 19/26                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  03:01 AM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

Paullyboy8440

you should rename it the norweign (spelling?) word for "please dial again".

Message 20/26                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  01:09 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

proximus

You mean my other song?

Please dial again="Vennligst ring tilbake når du har summetone"

Message 21/26                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

Paleface

Proximus: seeing as you let me here the hifi one...

the piano harmony is good - I just don't like the piano sound. The hi-fi brings out quite how clangy it is, almost M1y. I don't like that... a softer piano would be nice. But the bass and drums are great, as are the pads - and I still love that effect at the beginning that sounds like the delay's interrupting itself. Yeah. Some sound tweaking would make it work - in the piano break around 3 mins in (iirc), the clanginess of it doesn't help...

Message 22/26                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  05:32 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

proximus

Ok, I agree the piano is bright but I really don't think it's a problem. Thanks for the great feedback man, I'm gonna work on some of those things you and the others pointed out. Try to simplify the piano melody in the break perhaps and I'm gonna see if a less bright piano sound sounds better.

I have to make a remake of it because I've entered a talent competition..hehe. I only get 5 mins to perform. I have no idea what kind of music the other talent candidates make so it's gonna be exciting. And it will also be the first time I perform my music live with audiens.. damn, I'm nervous like shit ;-) Gonna get a couple (or more) Tuborgs before I enter the stage (it's gonna be playback so as long as I'm more or less able to walk by myself I'll be ok.. ). Wish me luck, eh? :-)

Message 23/26                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  08:48 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

milan

yo proximus! good tracks mate, i even dared check your mp3.com page, although influx is now going to hate me for it  

re. Past Times: nice track, lovely even, although i agree with everyone else that the piano sound doesnt do it justice. just use another sample i guess. and yes, this one does sound M1-y, for whoever said that  

generaly, i like your tracks quite a bit, but you should really put some reverb on them! the 3 i listened to are SO dry and in your face its almost unpleasant to listen to them for a longer time. otherwise, good production, sounds, etc.

oh, and PLEASE: i and many others around here who use pro audio soundcards cannot play files encoded at lower bitrates that 22khz, so if you encode it at 24kbs STEREO its still going to come out as 16khz/22kbs, not 22khz. so all your lofi encoded tunes are speeded up, and sound like drumnbass on my system  

btw, Jazcid: nice piano chords around 4.30, after all those arpeggios!

Cheers, M.

Message 24/26                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

proximus

Cool  

Yeah, I'm gonna get another piano sound. About those dry tracks, I guess I'm not gonna add church like reverb am I? Whenever I try to add reverb to my beats I don't think it fits. It may be that I'm doing it wrong but I think it sounds terrible.. I kinda understand what you mean about wet.. but .. hmm.. are we talking about adding just a touch of reverb or a whole bunch?

This is how I encoded the song, first I had to resample the wav and make it 22khz, then I saved it as mono and encoded it at 24kbps.
Lame -h -b 24 ;)

I have to admit I didn't quite get what you ment by the encoding issue, other than that the fellas with "pro" cards   will hear the song at a much higher speed.

Hey, thanks for the reedback ;-)
Hope influx will forgive you.. hehe

Message 25/26                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

damballah

nah, don't drown the whole think in a cavern, just work at giving things some space, some front to back. there's ambience and early reflection and room settings as well as cathedral. it can make things gel and not sound like a bunch of synths plugged in direct. usually tracks like yours live on their atmosphere and spaciousness, so give them some.

Message 26/26                 Date: 23-Apr-02  @  11:04 PM   -   RE: Gin and tonic please

influx

milan, I hate you.

as for verb..what D said (Im guilty of bein dry like canada, too...but Ive learned the virtue of ER and room size and density)

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum