0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: What equipment do I need?

Viewing all 25 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/25                 Date: 01-Apr-02  @  12:42 AM   -   What equipment do I need?

BB

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I like to start DJ. With CD's. What equipment do I need to get started?

I need a mixer and what else....is there any good mp3 mixer on the market to get use to dj?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/25                 Date: 02-Apr-02  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

sp

Yep you will need a mixer and two decks,don't ask me about brands etc cause I know nothing about Djing other than Technics make the best 12" decks and Pioneer make the best CDJ decks.Your best bet would be to find a store in your area that sells them(even rent them for a while),they could make up a cheap package for you to get started with.As for the Mp3 mixer I presume there is loads,even free ones,I don't know much in this area or with DJing equipment in general,perhaps somebody else could throw in some ideas??

Message 3/25                 Date: 02-Apr-02  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

Pongoid

Link?: Link

Why just CD's, why not both? How much is your budget, and what are you trying to accomplish?

Ape

Message 4/25                 Date: 02-Apr-02  @  08:30 PM     Edit: 02-Apr-02  |  08:31 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

dissonance

actually, Technics don't make the best decks anymore. The new Vestax PDX 2000 is the shit. Higher torque, faster start and stop. Adjustable stop speed accessible on the deck as opposed to the 1200, where you have to take off the platter and turn a pot with a screwdriver. The pitch control is better as well. you have +/- 10% right off the bat, with an additional 50% of change using a secondary adjuster.

This deck tracks like a champ, even up on it's side! You could be spinning in the 1994 quake that interupted that baseball game, and it wouldn't skip!

http://www.vestax.com/products/pdx2000.htm

give it a look.

Message 5/25                 Date: 03-Apr-02  @  12:36 AM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

sp

Yes but is that advice going to much use to a complete beginner?

I am not disputing your superior knowledge so don't get me wrong here,but the bloke wants to learn,experiment and see if he can develop a serious interest in DJing,not spend a s##tload of cash on 4 sets of decks,a 4 channel mixer and a tracking and torque system that can withstand the power of an earthquake he is going to have to spend quite a bit of money.Which would be wasted if he lost interest in a few months.

Hey BB? Where in the world are you? If you are in the UK there is "DJ Magazine"(among others)which will give you pages and pages of shop advertisemts with all types of pre made set ups including beginner packages at rock bottom prices all the way up to full blown nightclub sound systems,you should have a look,the articles are always crap and the reveiws are bull,but the ads are what you should you be looking for!

Message 6/25                 Date: 03-Apr-02  @  02:08 AM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

milan

the guy said he wants to try mixing with CD´s, and here you are arguing about turntables...so much for experts. tsk tsk.

;)

Message 7/25                 Date: 03-Apr-02  @  04:41 AM     Edit: 03-Apr-02  |  04:42 AM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

complaisance_resistance_corps

who was arguing? I was simply enlighening those interested, if you're not I apologize. I guess it is off topic....kinda.

But he wouldn't really have to risk too much. The resale value on them is very high.

and if you notice, it says "deejay", not "disc jockey", I think that implies certain things.

dissonance

Message 8/25                 Date: 03-Apr-02  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

Drop

Why purchase Vestax when all the clubs use Technics?

Message 9/25                 Date: 03-Apr-02  @  12:38 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

Pongoid

And why just use CD's? Records, CDs, MP3s, MDs, learn to mix all of it. They are all just tools for influencing moods.

Ape

Message 10/25                 Date: 03-Apr-02  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

dissonance

I will concede that most clubs use the 1200s, but why spend $450 on Technics when you can spend $400 and get a better product? besides, it's not like after you spin on a Vestax, you won't be able to play on the 1200s any longer. I've still got my 1200s, although I'm saving up to buy the PDX 2000s because it's the best product.

Message 11/25                 Date: 06-Apr-02  @  10:44 AM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

Pongoid

I dunno, bro. I have to say that I don't agree. The PDX 2000's are the ones with all of that crazy pitch control right? There are very powerful, but flimsily made, and once you get used to the wide pitch range, you're fucked because you oncez you mix those tracks that you couldn't quite before due to the limitations of the 1200's pitch control. Also, the platter is lighter, and even with the high torque, the repsponse if different, so your touch-ups will be different for matching. They are the bomb for cut-up, but for straight mixing, they are not 1200's. You get those, and you'll have to bring them to every gig to get your fzll right. I'm telling you now.

Ape

Message 12/25                 Date: 06-Apr-02  @  12:30 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

monkeyboy

Link?:  Link

if you want to mix cd's there are loads of affordable units out there. the cheapest iv'e come accross and probably the most toy like is the kam range, you can get the whole package for under £250 including headphones, mic, speakers, mixer and decks. but from there it starts to get a little more expensive, citronics and numark are probably the next best and affordable units ranging from around £350-£650. at the top of the tree are the pioneer, denon and tascam products which retail from around the £600+ mark. you could easily pay upwards of £1500 for a pair of top quality c.d decks without the mixer but why bother, start small and grow big. get a mid priced set up which should include the 2 decks and mixer.

Message 13/25                 Date: 06-Apr-02  @  01:00 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

milan

gemini is affordable too. but the ones i tried were rather crap.

say, has anyone tried that "digital turntable" from Pioneer? i toyed with it once at a shop and must say i was impressed. turntable like action, you can press into the top plate to slow the record down, like you would on a regular turntable. etc etc. really responsive.

bloody expensive too... you could get two 1210´s for the money.

Message 14/25                 Date: 06-Apr-02  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

Pongoid

word of advice, do not go with the cheap shit. You'll spend years just trying to match beats, let alone learning the other stuff like where, when, how, and what to mix. You'll get sick of it and your mixes will sound like shit, and when you go to mix on the pro stuff as in have a gig, you'll be lost, SO DON'T CHEAP OUT!!!! That's not even taking into account that recordings you make to try to get gigs will sound like shit, and not get you the gigs to begin with. Save the money, and get the good stuff.

Ape

Message 15/25                 Date: 06-Apr-02  @  05:39 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

xoxos

knew someone bought geminis 2 years ago (2 years ago) and they were very unhappy.. sold them quickly.

hey, that tt info is real handy for the next guy who searches for info innit, so don't balk :p

Message 16/25                 Date: 06-Apr-02  @  07:06 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

monkeyboy

that "digital turntable" from pioneer is like £800, that is for one unit, no mixer...looks good though apparently been used in the dmc championship...you can scratch on the bugger, cool huh...shame about the price.

Message 17/25                 Date: 06-Apr-02  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

dissonance

Ape,

even Spiderman said that for mixing purposes he'd go with the PDX2000 over the 1200's and was planning on upgrading to them. Look Cella has a pair and they are the shot! They aren't made like shit, on the contrary, the seemed very solid to me. You'll see when you get back!

dissonance

Message 18/25                 Date: 06-Apr-02  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

Pongoid

ok

Message 19/25                 Date: 07-Apr-02  @  02:48 AM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

k

Native-Instruments do a FREE version of TRAKTOR which is a twin-deck MP3/WAV etc player/set compiler.. beat-matching & looping, load while play etc... the pay-version is more-feature laden... VERY cool s/w

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 20/25                 Date: 07-Apr-02  @  10:54 AM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

Pongoid

yes, VERY cool tool. A definate must for the versatile (reads well rounded) selector.

Ape

Message 21/25                 Date: 03-Jun-02  @  03:21 AM   -   RE: Denon Dj151 Tuntables?

jeff

Can anyone offer any comments about the Denon DJ151 turntable ?

Message 22/25                 Date: 03-Jun-02  @  05:18 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

Pongoid

get 1200's. Don't fuck around.

Message 23/25                 Date: 21-Jun-02  @  11:39 AM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

cheddar

Don't miss the boat, what about tunes?
If you are stacked with cd's then there you are. I use the pioneers and they are good (the new ones looked super good - before I had to stop playing for fear of wnating too much - bit big though). Notice the pioneers (CDJ 500) need new lazers every couple of years and that is serious money, worth thinking about if you go second hand. I really rate the Pioneer mixer DRM 600, the new version has 4 line/phono ins and can reliably get you round more than a few corners.
If you are not stacked with CD's then (without a jot of experience) I would say go MP3, traktor and a laptop. I will go there when MPn is good enough quality and harddrives can hold me whole collection. Saves all that lifting.
I think getting the tune is the hardest bit for beginners so if MPn is good enough and control can be made to happen then go lappy

Message 24/25                 Date: 21-Jun-02  @  01:54 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

milan

so how quickly can you mix with Tractor? how about cueing and other things?

i wont even mention x-fader cutting, chopping up breaks, doing spinbacks, and especially scratching... unless maybe with final scratch setup o/c.

Message 25/25                 Date: 21-Jun-02  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: What equipment do I need?

k

that's interesting an mp3 s/w player with a choice of hardware controllers similar to cd decks... check it out!

Viewing all 25 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum