0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: good multi-fx unit

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/23                 Date: 15-Mar-02  @  12:59 PM   -   good multi-fx unit

soulsurvivor

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I'm after a good, cheap multi fx unit and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Id like the unit to have a good variety of delays especially and hopefully dual channel (or is that to much to ask?). I was looking at the Roland SRV series, which can apparently break a mono signal into two by analysing the frequencey, or something like that, and they are very tweakable.

I am fed up of the internal delay in my A3000 not allowing my to fine tune my delay times as it rounds them up to the nearest five.

Has anyone used these roland units or can anyone suggest anything similar?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/23                 Date: 18-Mar-02  @  01:46 AM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

influx

Link?:  Link

boss VF-1 

got one for sale, too  $250

Message 3/23                 Date: 18-Mar-02  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

k

Link?:  No link

they are sposed to 'rock' yes - never used one meself, but well rated on 'user comments' sites & NG's.

Message 4/23                 Date: 18-Mar-02  @  09:39 AM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

influx

aside from the sales attempt..I absolutely LOVE the VF-1 I own (got two if youre wondering)

tons of cool delays and just so much more!

I dont know anythnig about the other stuff, so I can't comment

Message 5/23                 Date: 18-Mar-02  @  10:19 AM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

panama

as usual, I second the VF-1. The delays and
choruses F-ing rock! The verbs are cool too -
very clubby sounding... the reverb needs to be
eq'ed seperately from the Direct sound... too
muddy for my tastes - but a great source of
verbs.

Also, the distortion section rocks AND the
programmable Gates rock my analog gear!

fantastic unit! :-)

Message 6/23                 Date: 19-Mar-02  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

Roshi

Agreed...I have a VF1 and a Really Nice Compressor in my gigging rack and the VF1 is really quite good for the money...not very tweakable live, but being able to sync loads of parameters to MIDI clock makes it a tasty addition on an aux send. (syncable phaser and gates...mmmm....) Loads of possibilities with it. A nice sounddesign tool, too...

T

Message 7/23                 Date: 19-Mar-02  @  10:58 PM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

Defector Z

Yo, I have an SRV3030d and I am thrilled with it. No distorsion or nothing, but the delays are all midi-syncable, dual mono (or stereo), and lots of routing options for some very unique sounds. Chorusing and phasing and flanging. I haven't done a lot of tweaking as the presets are quite good. The quality of the reverb is phenomenal. I absolutely love mine.

Message 8/23                 Date: 20-Mar-02  @  05:40 AM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

nothingnewhere

ive got a srv-3030 too, and its great. but its hardly a multi-fx box, the chours/flange/resonator effects seem like an afterthought more than anything else.

look into lexicon mpx units.

Message 9/23                 Date: 20-Mar-02  @  11:35 AM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

Pongoid

Have any of you tried a DP/4+ yet?

Message 10/23                 Date: 20-Mar-02  @  09:01 PM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

influx

hell yeah! theres one, too!

and theyre not that expensive. I was thinking BUDGET, but pongoid's suggestion is just a small step up the scale, and well worth the extra $$$

you could still buy my VF-1 tho 

Message 11/23                 Date: 20-Mar-02  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

99devils

I've got a Sony DPS-V55. Best reverb in any $500-ish box I've ever heard. Plus it can process up to 4 mono signals independantly. Cons are that there's very little (if any) realtime control of FX parameters.

The other multi-FX unit I liked was the TC M-one. I don't have one though, so I can't comment on how livable it is, just that it had some nice sounding FX  

-Craig

Message 12/23                 Date: 17-Apr-02  @  07:07 AM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

tortoise

I managed to pick up a more-or-less new Sony DPS-V77 for $700, which sounds gorgeous and is a wicked multi-effects box. It is basically Sony's version of the Lexicon PCM81, and the quality is every bit as good. The little brother of it (the DPS-V55) is a great budget box, as it shares much of the quality of the V77, though not as flexible. I see the V55s going for around $350 in these parts. Sony effects units are very good, and unbeatable values for the money. The are also a lot easier to program than the Lexicon boxes (like the MPX1 I sold to upgrade to the V77).

Incidentally, I also have an SRV-3030. It is a really excellent reverb for the money, but as others have mentioned, the chorus/flanger/etc are practically worthless afterthoughts intended to add flavor to the reverb rather than as a primary effect.

Message 13/23                 Date: 18-Apr-02  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

jjj

Speaking of DP/4+, can anyone find any information on them, esp. with respect to how they differ from the DP/4.

jjj

Message 14/23                 Date: 19-Apr-02  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

brett

anyone thought about an oasys pci in cheap 200-300mhz box as stand alone 12 channel fx unit. it's fully midi and four fx per part. I like the reverbs and delays it does. and the filters sound kool.

Message 15/23                 Date: 21-Apr-02  @  09:30 AM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

tortoise

The OASYS is an extremely powerful and capable effects box! I used to have one, which I sold for reasons unrelated to its abilities. The quality of the effects are almost uniformly excellent and they are generally pretty powerful. This makes sense when you consider that the OASYS has 5 DSP chips, each of which is as powerful as the single DSP chip that drives most of the higher-end single-space rack effects. I used to use the OASYS as an 8-channel effects bus, for which it was very competent. If someone could manage to put the OASYS in a single-space rack box, it would be a mind-blowing effect unit for the money.

Message 16/23                 Date: 21-Apr-02  @  11:19 AM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

influx

arent they the FX from the rest of Korg's synth line?

do they vary from box to box? Hell...does Korg make FX boxes? they should!

Message 17/23                 Date: 21-Apr-02  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

milan

yes they do. for some reason i dont hink they are very popular. who knows why...

Message 18/23                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

Brett

I read an interview with the Hartknolls, that a lot of old orbital stuff was done by running stuff through the wave station fx via the stereo ins. But then again after their first albumn they had access to high end studio gear so who knows what was and what wasn't done this way.

But they had a way of staying the coarse with those delays and reverbs. I could see them using the old stuff to keep a sound consistant. I like the oasys fx. They have a brightness and shimmer to them. Is'nt Pandoras box an fx unit? Since the wavestation they have always had this audio in to use them as fx units.

Message 19/23                 Date: 22-Apr-02  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

influx

Korg Pandora, G5,...many guitar and bass 'pedal" fx but I dont know of any rackmount standalone boxes...

yeah..you can run through korg FX on some of their synths. true.

Message 20/23                 Date: 24-Apr-02  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

soulsurvivor

Anyone used a TC Electronics Fireworks? Theses thing go for like near the 2 grand mark and basicly allow you to completely design your own effects using the inbuilt blocks (a bit like Reaktor)until the DSPs are used up. Now I dont know if they do but if they provided some software to do this on the PC and then dump it to the unit but that would be the dogs testicles.

Message 21/23                 Date: 24-Apr-02  @  12:35 PM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

milan

aye, the Fireworx.

there´s really no need for sw editor IMO. the creation of fx is basicaly the same as that grid thingy in TC Spark where you drop in modules and draw in routings between them.

once you´re done inserting, you can edit each module from dedicated front panel buttons: there´s one for each type of effect in the unit, and the leds show you which ones are used in the preset. you can also bypass individual blocks using those buttons. and also, you get one asignable endless dial for realtime control, with a row of leds bellow showing you the current value.

you can control almost all (or probly all, cant remember anymore) parameters via CC´s, so attaching a knobby controler to a fireworks would be more than worthwhile.

the FX are simply SICK, and potential is practically enless. if i remember correctly, you can use up to 16(!) effect blocks in one preset.

btw, re. pc editing: there might be a SoundDiver module for it, worth checking out.

anyway, i think this unit is actually worth its huge price tag, since its pretty much unique in the market today. and you´ll never get bored of it with all the possibilities.

my 2p, M.

Message 22/23                 Date: 02-May-02  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

moho

Korg indeed did make standalone rackmount fx boxes. The AM8000R and DL8000R. They are both awesome.

Message 23/23                 Date: 02-May-02  @  08:01 PM   -   RE: good multi-fx unit

influx

farts.com? eh?

thanks for the info!

hey soulsurvivor...the fireworx goes down to a grand used..

also the TC Powercore is sposed to have some of that engine.

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum