0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Yamaha MSP5 tips

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 07-Mar-02  @  01:34 AM   -   Yamaha MSP5 tips

levit71

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Does anyone have any experience with the Yamaha MSP5's? And can anyone offer any good tips on monitoring with these babies? I'm most curious about how users have the eq settings in the back set up, and how users get accurate bass translations.

Thanks.

Igor

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 07-Mar-02  @  10:41 PM   -   RE: Yamaha MSP5 tips

Brett B

Well, you have to realize that eq is there to adjust for the room anomolies that may be restricting or attenuating certain frequencies. here is a review, and i suffest you read more by doing a search for msp5's. This one recomended lowering the hf knob to -1 because those spaeakers have a harsh top end like the ns10's, but gave them an over-all good rating. The msp10's are on my list as my next monitors. They have had nothing but excellant reviews for the money the cost. Placement on those should be close to you in an an equalateral triangle to start. So sit in front of your computer. Place the speakers next to your monitor and equal distance apart as they are far from you. Then turn them in to face you until you hear the stereo image blend together and appear to be directly in front of you. You want to place a mouse pad under each speaker and maybe even some absorbative foam on top of them and on the sides to decouple them from the surrounding equiptment and the desk and trhe ceiling. This will elimnate all the standing waves that can occure from cabinet resonance. Aurolex faom kits ae dirt cheap at Guitar center now. Don't go and blow a bunch of money on faom if you don't need to. Hanging blankets behind the computer the wall may help. Getting your rrom to sound good is the most iimportant thing. I was using my DS90's in a samll but open room, an I had to trun them up to mix and ear fatigue was a problem. Now I have them in a small window nook in a room and I accousticly treated the little nook and now I can hear the speakers much clearer at lower levels. You want to be able to mix at lower levels and stll here everything that is there. So tuning the room may be needed. Don't worry. You will get to know your room and monitors well. I experimneted by moving from room to room and monitoring and mixing and then listening in other environmnets like the car. You will figure it out, but it will rake time. With little speakers like those , a big open place might not be a good idea. Try facing a corner rather than a 10' or 12' wall to start and find where in the room they sound the best than work from there trimming things by hanging som absorbtion on the sides and above you to keep from getting standing waves. Also set a mirror on the desk, and if you can look down on anything and see the tweeter in the reflection that is a spot that may need some difusion. A cup with pencils in it or a small plat or somthing to reflect the soud away from the spot. Difusion on the rear wall can open up the listening area to sound more open. anyway hope this helps and good luck. Here is that review link- http://www.yamahacommercialaudio.com/newssos2.html
you may want to search for more, as this one is hosted by yamaha and may not be all that straight forward.

Message 3/3                 Date: 08-Mar-02  @  01:24 AM   -   RE: Yamaha MSP5 tips

Igor Levit

Hey Brett,

Thanks very much for the great advice!

Igor

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum