0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Tangent 3216 analog desk

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 20-Feb-02  @  05:31 PM   -   Tangent 3216 analog desk

druid

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

went to my dentist today and he's selling a refurbished Tangent 3216 analog desk for $2500 US.
He said it's over 20 years old and he paid 20K for it back then. What do y'all think? I'm fairly new at producing- would this desk be ideal for mixing jungle tracks(as far as it being analog etc.)?

dru

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 20-Feb-02  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: Tangent 3216 analog desk

druid

I guess the question I really want to ask is:

If I really don't have any money- but may be able to come up with it- would this present an opportunity that may not be so easily manifested in the future? What is it about this model that would suggest uniqueness from other oldskool analog desks. I wouldn't want to pass this up and then find later down the road that it would be really cool to have one. Would this be a real score for the price??

laterz

Message 3/6                 Date: 20-Feb-02  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: Tangent 3216 analog desk

steve

Link?: Link

well, I did a websearch (hint, hint), and thats what came up ^^^^^.

A pawnshop there is flogging one for $2300 so I guess the price is about its money if you can haggle some. You won`t need a console as expensive as that tho, not for jungle by any means. Its your money so do you what you thinks right, but personally I`d get something a bit more low-rent and divert the extra elsewhere.

Message 4/6                 Date: 20-Feb-02  @  06:53 PM   -   RE: Tangent 3216 analog desk

druid

I searched the web abit and didn't find much, but didn't check google. Wanted to get some personal opinions though about the model. I don't really think I should get it, but wanted to make sure that I wouldn't possibly regret it somehow..

Thanks for the link.

dru

Message 5/6                 Date: 21-Feb-02  @  02:05 AM   -   RE: Tangent 3216 analog desk

k

hmm... whilst a good board, it's old.. personaly I would recommend a desk that old (non esoteric) if it's cheap.. cos the noise will be more than on a newer mixer but you might offset that with the better eq you gain, such as with old Studiomaster series 8 etc. 20-30 year old desks will have older noisier chips, so most in use have been modded. I used to own a monster 24 channel board with 4 band switchable sweep eq (that's 4 way selector for each pot with a sweep & frequency x 4) - it was modular & a 'live' desk with lot's of monitor out's but no subs as such, but we wired it up to an OTARI MX with 8 buss's we created off the main bus... anyways, we upgraded the chips on all the modules and it got alot quieter. - heh heh, that was great cos we had the oscilliscope permenently wired to the Buss on the back of the board with the back open all the time for repairs & patches... It looked great with htis huge desk and the old oscillascope in the middle working to the tune  

damn I miss that desk sometimes!! - it was custom built, possibly by (i think his name was), ray walker (??).. from I think soundcraft he was with someone said this at that time i got it anyways... some of the boards seemed to be signed thus with RW on them. Th EQ was phenomenal, you could switch in to a telephone sound or whatever on the top mid or sub-bass on the lo-end.

Message 6/6                 Date: 21-Feb-02  @  02:38 AM   -   RE: Tangent 3216 analog desk

influx

Link?:  Link

for that money you could get a newer great sounding analog desk like a ghost or similiar

or a mackie 24/8 for a LOT less

you need to ask yourself how many channels you need, etc?

kilo is right about the noise. An older desk will likely be quite noisy, hard to repair if it needs it, etc...

plus..you say you dont really have the money, but you can scrape it up? If you can scrape up $2500, why not spend it on a smaller or newer board and get some other sounds?

what other gear do you have?

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum