0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: movie/game soundtrack

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 13-Feb-02  @  11:10 AM   -   movie/game soundtrack

Breakerbox

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

mysteryinsahara!

Is the track... My second or third try to make soundtrack type stuff... my roommate works for the xbox division in ms, as an animator, he is going to play it to some music leads... I was trying to put bunch of emotions/styles like calm...mysterious...suspense..and finally the fighting part...
So let me know what you guys think?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 13-Feb-02  @  04:14 PM     Edit: 13-Feb-02  |  04:20 PM   -   RE: movie/game soundtrack

bedwyr

more reverb!

and some more variation on that de! de-de-de-de-de de-de-de.

fk, your drums always sound good. how >do< you do that?

oh, and i gotta do music critiques as part of my course (link) so i'll try and do one in that style later. they do a music for games course too.

Message 3/11                 Date: 13-Feb-02  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: movie/game soundtrack

Breakerbox

yeah? I forgot about the reverb! I am adding more parts to it so you like it then?
And how is that course?.. I might try it...
Thanks

Message 4/11                 Date: 13-Feb-02  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: movie/game soundtrack

bedwyr

the course is good, it can really push you as well. i haven't sent any work in yet (too busy) but i would recommend it. dunno about the games course, ... aha! i've just had a look and there isn't a seperate course (just a different ad). one unit of the course has you writing the music for a game. basicallly you write one minute pieces that can loop. one for a wet cave, another for a corridor, lots of suspense and another for a fight scene. and things like 5 second 'stings' for specific actions.

i'll have another listen 2morro, i'm too busy smoking and drinking, wales v. argentina soccer game tonight.

Message 5/11                 Date: 13-Feb-02  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: movie/game soundtrack

xoxos

hell yeah.. if you're going to travel and study music, you can't do better then cymru can you.

Message 6/11                 Date: 14-Feb-02  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: movie/game soundtrack

Breakerbox

Sounds cool... Kind of expensive.. at least right now for me...

Message 7/11                 Date: 14-Feb-02  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: movie/game soundtrack

bedwyr

xoxos, it's postal.

Message 8/11                 Date: 14-Feb-02  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: movie/game soundtrack

bedwyr

Link?:  Link

fk, i just type a load in but managed to lose it after hitting submit.

basically, suspense doesn't really need a lot going on - you can do it with an atmospheric pad and a little rhythmic thing. i don't think a cello is a good choice for this (it's too lyrical) the obvious cliche choices for suspense are tremelo in the double bass and high strings. you can do suspense with a single high string sound. it's a big cliche, but a lot of film music uses cliches because it's a sure fire way of hooking the audience. ppl don't really listen to music the same way as 'normal' when they watch films.

that little melodic bit that comes in at the start isn't strong enough to be repeated so much. you could do the suspense thing with just the sound at the start and those rhythms you've got on the rim? and hats?. another thing is you don't have to have even numbers of bars for this type of music or the same time signature throughout, it's better when ppl don't feel 'comfortable' listening, i think.

if you're doing a single track demo for someone it needs to show your versatility, so it's gotta have a lot of styles in it, changeing quite quickly.

of course, i don't know shit. bedwyr ;)

Message 9/11                 Date: 14-Feb-02  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: movie/game soundtrack

Breakerbox

its kind of hard for me too not work in 4 or 8 bar patterns now... If i had something visual... it might be easier... Thats a lot of info.. For games i should make one minute loops... I have couple stuff that is like that..but what i am interested in is the interactive music on the new consoles, have you played with those? Munchs Oddysey is a good example... and Metal Gear (the newest one) The music changes, but it in the tempo, more elements come in and go depending on what you are doing in the game, its really cool.

Message 10/11                 Date: 15-Feb-02  @  12:11 AM   -   RE: movie/game soundtrack

bedwyr

i've read about similar game music, i've got an article on it somewhere. why don't you grab a piece of video and re-do the music? a friend took a bit of silence of the lambs an re-did it with a cartoon type soundtrack, funny as fuck. some adverts are good practice too, specially when they're like short films.

have you got a video capture card? i got a cheap £40 one, works a treat, it can't output to video but you could send stuff out as a cdrom or if you get dvd-it you can make dvds on your cdr drive (they play in standalone dvd players as well). just had a thought, if you could capture a bit of a game with the music off, sound fx on, you could re-do that.

Message 11/11                 Date: 15-Feb-02  @  01:08 AM   -   RE: movie/game soundtrack

Breakerbox

thats weird... thats exactly what I was thinking when i wrote the last post... I dont have a capture card, but there are some movies on the web i can download, and my roommate has some highend capture system at the office.. I can capture some xbox gameplay or a movie or... i can ripp off a preview from the dvd drive on my pc... I need the to get the progam for that...

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum