0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: creating rhythmic hats

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 02-Feb-02  @  09:31 AM   -   creating rhythmic hats

bster

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

having trouble with rhythmic hats on basic break and 4/4 patterns.
bit vague but any basic tips people.

bster

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 02-Feb-02  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: creating rhythmic hats

k

um... well besides the actual creativity/appropriateness of the actual pattern, personaly for me it's about the sample, especialy the decay/pitch, combined with velocity control... it's the velocity that does it. Often hat patterns have beats within that are not actualy audible in the same way as the main hat beats, but they lay in the mix just lower in velocity making the pattern move.

Message 3/9                 Date: 03-Feb-02  @  10:57 AM   -   RE: creating rhythmic hats

Maarten

Link?: Link

Yep, got some new sample CD's a few weeks ago :O, damn that made a difference with what I used before, finaly have hats included that don't sound so dull.I hit em in on the MPC not paying attention to the velocity at all... this way you get a more "real" feel to them.

Message 4/9                 Date: 05-Feb-02  @  11:38 AM   -   RE: creating rhythmic hats

bass assessor

I like to hit 2 closed hihats on 3 and 4 like this

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
open hat x x
close hat xx xx

also, try adding a second open hat, that kicks in off-beat. Like the track I made: "hard times" (on mp3.com)

It's important to play around with the hats' lenght and pitch while playing until it sounds right!

Hope you can use this information

Message 5/9                 Date: 05-Feb-02  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: creating rhythmic hats

man hattin'

hats are often not as loud as you think they are. what i mean is that when you are messing with them, you prolly turn them up so you can hear them better against the kick/snare/grasshopper smaples. once it sounds decent--with some velocity variations as k said--try just lowering the overall volume of the hats (via fader NOT velocity). now they will sound too quiet. but if you turn the beat off for a second and give your ears a rest, when you start it up again, it will sound PERFECT I SWEAR! well, anyway, sometimes it helps.

Message 6/9                 Date: 06-Feb-02  @  08:00 AM   -   RE: creating rhythmic hats

bass assessor

BEATS 1 0 0 0  |  2 0 0 0  |  3 0 0 0  |  4 0 0 0
bd 1 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0
o-hat 0 0 1 0  |  0 0 1 0  |  0 0 1 0  |  0 0 1 0
cl-hat 0 0 1 1  |  0 0 1 1  |  0 0 1 1  |  0 0 1 1

Oh man, this editor really screwed up the text, I'll try the step-editor. Hope it works...

Message 7/9                 Date: 06-Feb-02  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: creating rhythmic hats

k

Link?:  Link

man hattin is right... another good way to do it is to leave the mix playing and walk into the next room... this will let you hear the hi-hats as they really are... BUT, the ONLY important thing is the whole groove - the hats need to sit in the whole groove and the leve is correct at the point the whole groove 'gels' - dont mix drums in isolation, meaning don't 'listen' just to the hats or any other drum... at a certain point of relative balance of all the parts the groove just gels right and sounds great... that's the point to stop tweaking, and if any individual sound when concentrated on seem too loud or not loud enuff, always try to listen to the whole groove together in your mind rather than zoning in on one sound... if the hats then seem too loud... they are.

That's why it's good to listen in another room with the door open cos this takes away the individual fine detail of the parts in the groove and makes it all sound more 'whole' so you can better judge the whole groove...

Don't be afraid to use multiple hat samples or combinations of hat & shaker etc... try building patterns for the 'top/treble-end' out of smaller layered patterns as this can sometimes yeild excellent results especialy when it comes to building the groove up & up over time or doing breakdowns.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/9                 Date: 06-Feb-02  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: creating rhythmic hats

damballah

yep, the other room. some other ones are to turn it down to where it's barely audible or run something like a vacuum cleaner that generates a lot of masking noise. notice what disappears and what sticks out like a sore thumb.

Message 9/9                 Date: 07-Feb-02  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: creating rhythmic hats

knowa

Link?:  Link

I feel so legit when k agrees with me. I'm realizing lately how much sense it makes to think of your ears like athletes--if you pull them out of the game and give them a rest every so often, they'll play a much better game. all those critical sublties of the mix are simply NOT AUDIBLE when you've composing/mixing for a couple hours. it's ironic, but the longer you listen to a piece of music, the LESS you hear how it actually sounds.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum