0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/27                 Date: 27-Jan-02  @  08:48 PM   -   How do you mix your House-Tunes

JG

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Who can give me a few Tricks & Hints to mix a House-Tune ?

JG

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/27                 Date: 28-Jan-02  @  12:13 AM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

bedwyr

Link?: Link

jg, slow down and think about what you're asking.

there is no definitive answer to an open ended question. what sort of house music? house styles are about what sounds you use, and their context.

listen to tunes you like, and compare to what you conjure up. just post a few names of ppl you like and start again.  

Message 3/27                 Date: 28-Jan-02  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

JG

Sorry... Iīve been looking for some general mixing-Tips... Well my actual tune is some techy stuff, but Iīm also looking for some hints for the mixing of deeper stuff... The Tips should sound like: "When you use a 63Hz-Kick you maybe have to refresh the Attack with a Transient-Designer" or "A good Compression for a techy Bassline is..."... Something in this way... My general Problem is, I that always have a lack in Highs an Hi-Midīs...

JG

Message 4/27                 Date: 28-Jan-02  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Brett B

it's like asking how to paint with oil! One underlying element is bass, kick, snare, and hat's. The kick should be solid and pump. 909 is a good staple but dubby stuff and disco use acoustic kicks at times. Snare should be heavily compressed and boosted up to a limiter so it is crisp and loud. Use meduium room with the bass and mid out of the snare. Use velocities on your snare to create a human feel, and then go back and add automation to change the tone of each hit slightly to make it sound authentic. The bass in a lot of house is a warm electric, but progressive house uses mostly synth bass. In many cases mix a low bass with the highs out of is so it sits under and with the kick, then mix a second groove in the mid bass range over the kick. And finaly, crisp compressed dry hats. Melodies, well there just infinate possabilities. But if you get those four basic elements grooving and pounding the rest will come to you quickly. Oh, and don't forget those swooshing airy textures. And listen to Bedwyr. Some nice disco stuff going on there.

Message 5/27                 Date: 28-Jan-02  @  07:36 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

JG

Thanx...
Which compression would you use for the kicks and Hihats (with focus on Attack, Release, Ratio...) ?

JG

Message 6/27                 Date: 28-Jan-02  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

k

use peak compression, not soft-knee (but soft-knee does work)... again, the biggest mistake people make is thinking there are rulkes - well there ARE in some ways... but only as far as for driving saying: 'drive on the left', in the Uk etc.. after that the KEY thing is the 'sum of the parts' and THAT is all that matters... 'the sum of the parts' and how they all work together... so you can just use standard compressor 'rules' slow attack/fast release for more 'attack-punch' etc... Set 'release' control to suit any 'pumping' fx you might want to emphasise (along with ratio).... ratio set to taste - use your ears really is the best advice.

It IS hard, cos people will tend to think there is some magic formulae or answer, but there simply is not... just time & experience...

perhaps the best tip I can give is to experiment with making tracks with ONLY the drums & bassline... if they sound good like that then that's half the battle.. and they SHOULD sound good like that... Everything else is Ear-Candy or Motif's in house..

OH IMPORTANTE!!!! - the closed & open hat DECAY is critical to the groove.

Message 7/27                 Date: 28-Jan-02  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

JG

Why do think, that the decay is important ?

Message 8/27                 Date: 31-Jan-02  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Brett B

I play with decay on my snare as well, so the 2 beat snare is shorter than the 4 beat and on fills as well. It gives a human feel for the decay to vary. Also the decay on the open hat must sustain long enough to groove with beats. like t tssss t tssss. If it is too long or short for the tempo it will sound off.

Message 9/27                 Date: 31-Jan-02  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

k

Link?:  Link

because the basis of dance (clubsounds music) is about the relationship between the hat & the kik drum... if the hat is open for just 50 or 100 milliseconds too long or too less, then it throws that whole relationship of 'push-pull' between the hat & kik..

open too long? - the hat closes too late causing the groove to fall forwards...

open for not long enuff? - the hat closes too early & the groove fall backwards..

it's subtle but makes all the difference.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/27                 Date: 31-Jan-02  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

k

Link?:  Link

yes also the decay on the kik and hat are important too... but not as much as the open hat

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 11/27                 Date: 31-Jan-02  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

caliban

Thanks a lot...
Any tips for the bassline ? Im into making music (sorry for my bad english) nearly my whole life, but `m new in house Production...

JG

Message 12/27                 Date: 01-Feb-02  @  12:12 AM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Brett B

Do a deep lowpass filtered bass that hits on the beats for the steady rhythm foundation then add a higher toned bass that hits on some up beats for a funky feel. A lot of trance, and house use a low bass with the kick. It adds all the omph to the mix but is hard to hear until it cuts out. The higher pitched bass is what makes the groove. So use a steady bump bump bumpbmp, eq everything over 100hz out of it, and then make a sencond funkyier bassline to sit on top that more audable. Sander Klienenburg, Cass, And many others do this all the time. You can use it for a dramatic build up . like after a break have the higher bass going then pause... roll, and drop the low end in and the mix pumps. If you are looking to disco or older chicago stuff find a bass player to sample. What I am talking about is more of tech-house, trance thing. You really need to know what you are afere. My bigest mistake is experimanting too much and not ending up with what I had envisioned. Somtimes cool, but mostly frustration. So write down what you want, make notes to come back to when you have to sleep ocasionaly.

Message 13/27                 Date: 01-Feb-02  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

caliban

Thanks...
Two Basslines with the same or a different sound ? What do you use... What about the compression ?

JG

Message 14/27                 Date: 02-Feb-02  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Brett B

sometimes the same , like a bassline that has a sicopated hit that sustanes a little when the original hits again. Run them through a group and compress together. But what I was describing was a deep warm low end bass to go with the kick drum, and a clearer completely diferant bassline, not necessirally keyed higher, but with the filter open and not filtered. I'll put an audio clip together for you. I'll link it here.

Message 15/27                 Date: 02-Feb-02  @  05:15 AM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Brett

File?:  File

bassline.wav

have a listen. You use a deep warm square with to fill in the bottom, then you can put any kind of bass on top with the filter more open.

Message 16/27                 Date: 02-Feb-02  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

caliban

Ahh.. Thanx...
Would you use "pumping"- compression (I donīt know, how to explain this..)? Iīm using the internal compressor of the 01V, do you have any tips ?

Thanks,

Juan Gabriel

Message 17/27                 Date: 02-Feb-02  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Brett B

I have an o1v too. I don't use the o1v compressors because i think they are a little stale. I have been using them more when monitoring . It helps on ear fautige. I use a compressor on the stereo in from my sound card, and a limiter on the stereo out bus. But I export to mix down internaly with no compresion on the mix. If I need to make a demo, I run it through the peakmaster in wavelab. It is smooth and loudness maximizes better than anysoftware limiter/compressors I have used. The Waves RCL is good to bring a bass up warmly. I am using softsynths mostly now.

Message 18/27                 Date: 03-Feb-02  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

JG

Hmm... But what about the Attack, Release and Ratio ?
You have a Juno 106, no ? Donīt you think that the Juno sounds better than any Softsynth ?

Juan Gabriel

Message 19/27                 Date: 22-Feb-02  @  12:14 AM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Microbeat

thanks to all the people who have replied to this thread i can now forge ahead with getting my may deep house toons sounding more dynamic.
i also produce hip hop/downbeat music similar to the g-stone stuff and fila brazillia. i need some info on how to achieve the sounds these guys get in their mixes. any advice?

cheers y'all
p

Message 20/27                 Date: 22-Feb-02  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

caliban

>>i need some info on how to achieve the sounds these guys get in their mixes

What exactly do you mean ?

Juan-Gabriel

Message 21/27                 Date: 22-Feb-02  @  01:06 AM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Microbeat

well their sound is very langurous and dreamy. i know they use lots of tricks like using the roland space echo for the dubby overdriven delay sounds-but could i achieve this with my quadraverb and if so how?
the production on g-stone recordings is very different to the production on a tech house track fo example. the sound seems a lot more open and there seems to be a lot of space in the tracks. how would i process the drums for example?

Message 22/27                 Date: 22-Feb-02  @  01:06 AM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Microbeat

well their sound is very langurous and dreamy. i know they use lots of tricks like using the roland space echo for the dubby overdriven delay sounds-but could i achieve this with my quadraverb and if so how?
the production on g-stone recordings is very different to the production on a tech house track fo example. the sound seems a lot more open and there seems to be a lot of space in the tracks. how would i process the drums for example?

Message 23/27                 Date: 22-Feb-02  @  01:15 AM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

caliban

I donīt know much about the G-Stone, but I love the Kruder & Dorfmeister-Stuff... They use a lot of vintage Equipment (70īs delays etc.)... They often use natural-sounding drums... Why donīt you map a complete Drum-Kit (from a sample-CD for example) and arrange the Drums like a "natural" drummer ?

juan-Gabriel

Message 24/27                 Date: 22-Feb-02  @  09:23 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Brett

hey JG, I do have a juno, and a 101, and an mks-80, and I owned a bass station,microwave,nova, nord, and Reason is just amazing once you learn how to mix in it. I'll post you a new track and you can hear how good it sounds. Analog fare never in tune with each othe and once you get 10 tracks they all sound so out of tune. It pissed me off, not to mention the envelops fade in and out and you need to use copmpresion to pump them up loosing the high end dynamics.

If you want to do older style music, real analog is great because of the simplicity of the sounds and mix. Of coarse any soloed analog will sound fatter than a soft synth, but how many tracks have I done with just one instrument playing.... You have to work to get those old synths to sound good together in a mix. Reason lets you lay down complex stuff and is less harsh on the cpu than audio tracks are in Sonar or cubase. So I get more out my machine. If you are a non believer, I will post a clip on my home page for you to have a listen to. I'll be back and let you know when it's up. I aslo posted a set of tips in the Reason section to get full use of reasons mixing and sound production ability. I ganrentee the two songs I am woring on in it will be in stores soon!

Message 25/27                 Date: 22-Feb-02  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

caliban

>>If you want to do older style music

Yes, thatīs it... Iīm into an older sound (I love Magneto ;-))... Somewhere between Deep and Tech-House ! I have a Demo-Version of Reason on my Mac, but Iīm still producing with Logic Platinum...

>>I ganrentee the two songs I am woring on in it will be in stores soon!

Ahh, good to hear... on which label ?

cheers from Madrid,
JG

Message 26/27                 Date: 22-Feb-02  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Brett B

here are the tunes. The possibilities are endless with this program. Have a listen and then go to the reason thread and read my tips and tricks section. I have a few options, but my sister has become good freinds with the A&R director for one of the big 5. He invited us to the winter music conference in miami. I am trying to scrape together some money for a hotel room. Anyway he said he would listen and get it two the right people.

Message 27/27                 Date: 22-Feb-02  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: How do you mix your House-Tunes

Brett B

if you listen to the reason house example you can hear that I devoloped this entire track from the bassline.wav example and concepts I listed earlier in this thread. It comes in under the drum with a bunch of low end umph and the closed hat chokes the open hat!

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum