0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: new choons - just joined up

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/22                 Date: 15-Nov-01  @  01:53 PM   -   new choons - just joined up

blacker

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi all:

New to DT and hoped you might have a listen to one or two of the tracks I just put up. If you want better quality, the tracks are also up at: http://blacker.iuma.com, http://stage.vitaminic.com/blacker,
http://www.zebox.com/blacker

Email me and let me know what you think - constructive criticism more than welcome.

Cheers,

blacker

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/22                 Date: 15-Nov-01  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

admin

Link?:  No link

a smaller user image might be good !   - nice grooves tho yes!   - nice crisp sound from lo-fi - do you eq your lo-fi with more top end prior to encoding?.. what encoder did you use for that ? overall a very tight sound.. digital mixer mebbe?

"In other countries, art and literature are left to a lot of shabby bums living in attics and feeding on booze and spaghetti, but in America the successful writer or picture-painter is indistinguishable from any other decent business man!" - Babbit

Message 3/22                 Date: 15-Nov-01  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

blacker

Thx... no special eq - I use Waves Ultramaximizer on the final MP3 file, that's all. Encoded in Sound Forge 5.0 using their encoder. I'm actually suprised that the stuff sounds as clear as it does - must be doing something right!

Hmmm... yes, that pisture will have to change.

Thanks again  

Message 4/22                 Date: 15-Nov-01  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

blacker

Ahem, *picture*...

Oh yeah - all mixed in Logic Audio by the way, so yes, you could say a digital mixer.

Message 5/22                 Date: 15-Nov-01  @  02:59 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

sensoniq

Link?:  Link

Hunted and Slowdown are cool tunes...I like the long intro. on slowdown, you have a good feeling for space.

How come you post everywhere except mp3.cum? Cause they suck?

Message 6/22                 Date: 15-Nov-01  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

blacker

You got it...   I got fed up with MP3.com taking up to 5 weeks to get a track online, then there's all the cheesy pop-up ads, etc. I'm just a poor music producer (especially after shelling out for gear over the past couple of years), and paying $25 / mth to MP3.com is not a realistic option for me.

Thanks for the comments. I think I'm going to nose around here tonight and listen to a bunch of tunes methinks.

Message 7/22                 Date: 15-Nov-01  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

mikec

Yeah, pretty good.

My thoughts: I found them a bit, for want of a better word, incidental.

Actually, maybe hypnotic is a better description. If that's the intention then great, no further comment.

If not then some variation on all those long repeating sections would be welcome. Not necessarily musically, just production-wise. Noises here and there, filter cut-off modulation etc.

Welcome to Dancetech.

MikeC

Message 8/22                 Date: 15-Nov-01  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

blacker

Thanks for the comments Mike. These tracks were all produced a while ago - working on new stuff now that's on a different tangent. Will post some of these tracks soon-ish.

Message 9/22                 Date: 15-Nov-01  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

bedwyr

i like no 5, cool. new picture's good too ;) but yeah, bit more variation would be good.

Message 10/22                 Date: 15-Nov-01  @  07:00 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

Maarten

Listened to Hunter, like you drum programming there... and that bass coming in at +/- 1:30, nice spacey mood throughout the track.. no constructive criticism from me, sorry.

Message 11/22                 Date: 15-Nov-01  @  07:31 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

blacker

Thank you maarten - glad you enjoyed the track.

Message 12/22                 Date: 15-Nov-01  @  10:30 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

influx

listened to amerika one...sorry man but that is some bland stuff. clever? poking fun at america? how forward thinking of you! 

Ill listen to some others...I just would have liked to see some fills here and there?

Message 13/22                 Date: 16-Nov-01  @  12:35 AM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

blacker

Poking fun? I don't see how it pokes fun at America. And by the way, in case you're getting the wrong idea, this track was put together long, long before recent events.

Sorry you found it so bland. I've had lots of positive comments about that track too, but I'll take the rough with the smooth - I think it's a constantly evolving thing, this making music business. You get better as time goes by with *constructive* criticism. Know what I mean?

Message 14/22                 Date: 16-Nov-01  @  12:59 AM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

influx

the song doesnt really poke fun, but your comments sorta do...

not that it matters really...America deserves some ribbing 

ok so Im listening again...

it just sounds like Icey to me. it sounds GOOD, mind you..as far as tightness and production goes. hell it sounds better than my stuff thats for sure.

the bass...maybe thats whats buggin me? just goes the same same same (hehe..glass house here) and there are plenty of neat little sounds and stuff

I guess I can say more that it just doesnt grab me? I would REALLY like to see more with the drums!!! i mean..its like a straight 2 step the whole way through (although some alt sounds do answer)

Message 15/22                 Date: 16-Nov-01  @  02:08 AM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

blacker

Well you know, I personally consider it to be one of the weaker tracks I've done anyways (shouldn't say that here I guess...)

Have a listen to Youth. You might like that better. Better yet, listen to it at http://stage.vitaminic.com/blacker for 128kbps bitrate and in stereo.

Let me know what you think.

Message 16/22                 Date: 16-Nov-01  @  03:27 AM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

influx

oh...Generik..TOO LONG!!! thats what it was 

Im listening to youth right now

so how about you return the favor to some hedz  just so they have an audience and can fulfill their narcissistic fanatsies?

Message 17/22                 Date: 16-Nov-01  @  03:46 AM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

influx

this ones pretty cool. VERY good mix!!!

I cant say it does me right the way it jumps from part to part. the intro, which was interesting, then goes BOOM into the drums. might have been shocking because I was expecting something at 130 or so, not 175!!! 

but...the pings and blips all just STOP pretty much when the drums come in...woulda sounded more transitional to me had they continued for a while...

VERY cool track though man and again, nice mixing job!

Message 18/22                 Date: 16-Nov-01  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

blacker

"so how about you return the favor to some hedz  just so they have an audience and can fulfill their narcissistic fanatsies?"

Is there a place on user pages for reviews, or are reviews usually posted here in the forum? I'd be glad to return the favour...

Thanks for for your comments on Youth - thought you might like it a bit better than Generik... I do!

Message 19/22                 Date: 16-Nov-01  @  05:04 AM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

influx

usually posted here in the forum, but there are also links to emails on the pages...

Ive listened to it a few times now. also listened to Klones. I like that too but why so short? seems unfinished

Message 20/22                 Date: 16-Nov-01  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

knowa

blacker, really really nice on the production side. there's a certain smoothness to this music that keeps it from really grabbing my ear, like I want to hear something a little unexpected. not saying its bad--I think it's very good--but that it would satnd out more if it had some odd fills or an occasional dissonant sound. props, though; every track I heard sounded very complete, like a musical idea brought to fruition. tell me about how you use your tube compressor. perhaps that plays a role in the sound quality that everyone seems to appreciate. real professional, musical stuff. hang around in these web pages.

Message 21/22                 Date: 16-Nov-01  @  07:53 PM     Edit: 16-Nov-01  |  07:54 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

bedwyr

oh yeah! just a little more variation (sorry, i said it before) but ur production is solid, keep (putting) it here!

Message 22/22                 Date: 16-Nov-01  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: new choons - just joined up

blacker

Guys, thanks for listening. Knowa - thanks for the props, as for the tube compressor; I don't think I actually used the thing on any of the tracks posted here. I do a lot of mastering and editing work for a local studio and usually use it only on a stereo mix. Occasionally I'll put breaks through it to get them pumping a little and add some "phatness" if you know what I mean. On the stereo mix it goves a certain warmth and smoothness, for sure.

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum