0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: samplers and sequencers??

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4                 Date: 08-Nov-01  @  04:26 AM   -   samplers and sequencers??

veracity000

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

ok so here goes...

a couple of days ago i posted a question about samplers and got some great info, but here's the thing. i was just reading the stuff about it here on dancetech and it starts talking about sequencers. so...what is a sequencer? do i need to get one? can i use a drum machine in the same way(please dont laugh i'm flying blind). are there software sequencers(more importantly cubase?). i need help!

thanks,

Steve

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/4                 Date: 08-Nov-01  @  07:30 AM     Edit: 08-Nov-01  |  09:49 PM   -   RE: samplers and sequencers??

influx

Link?:  Link

Steve

no offense (yeah, youll find that Im a dick) but you need to do a bit more reading before you start asking.

since you found so much info here about samplers, how about searchin for sequencer threads? Youre bound to find quite a few. Hell when I was just getting going (wasnt that long ago really) I used to pore over all the info Kilo had here, and a lot of that was related to sequencers, both hardware and software.

there are quite a few books out there on the subject, as well. hell..do a search on the web for midi+sequencer, or electronic music, or..hell be creative

sure..everyone needs to start, but you cant just have stuff handed to you!

but to answer your question, a sequencer is sort of an arranging tool that triggers external gear through midi (well you can do audio too but thats for next week )

there are hardware sequencers (alesis MMT8, Kawai Q80 series, Yamaha QY series, Akai ASQ10, MPC series, Yamaha RM1x and the list goes on) and software sequencers that run on PCs, Macs, Ataris, Amigas, BROTHER even made one (but I think its pretty limited). The SW ones are Cubase, Logic, Performer, Uh..ProTools...there are more...

so...look around, really spend some time, and then come back 

Message 3/4                 Date: 12-Nov-01  @  05:25 PM   -   RE: samplers and sequencers??

Pongoid

Link?: Link

oh man....you've definately got some reading to do. Don't take this as completely demeaning, but you've been asking asking for tips on how to dance the samba, before you can figure out what and where your feet are, let alone stand up on them. Loads of info available. Check out 'How MIDI works' on Alexander Press Publications. That will help immensely. Next time little novice, learn to make the flame of a candle dance before you go asking the wizards how to cast a fireball.

Ape

Message 4/4                 Date: 12-Nov-01  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: samplers and sequencers??

influx

Link?:  Link

so much for not sounding demeaning

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum