0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: E64 spdif | aes/ebu output

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 07-Nov-01  @  02:08 PM   -   E64 spdif | aes/ebu output

woxy

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

any E64 owners know this off the top of their heads?

i want to attach the digital outs on the back of my EMU E64 sampler (the two XLR sockets that claim to be SPDIF & AES/EBU) - to either the SPDIF in or AES/EBU in - on my HOONTECH DSP2000 C-PORT soundcard

i guess you configure the EMU to output either SPDIF or AES/EBU to the XLRs - but then how on earth do you get 2XLRs down to one 3.5mm jack???????????????????

will a stereo co-ax wire with a series of stereo connectors attached do the job?

cheers
woxy

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 07-Nov-01  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: E64 spdif | aes/ebu output

influx

wait..you mean how do you go from AES/EBU connector ("XLR") to a spdif coax? there are converter cables, and boxes available

but...the hoontech only has ONE jack?

wait..yeah...arent the outs on the sampler..IN and OUT? not left and right? fuck..Ill go look at mine

Message 3/8                 Date: 08-Nov-01  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: E64 spdif | aes/ebu output

woxy

duh. sorry about that.

after turning the torch on the darkened back of my rack - there is indeed ONE XLR out and ONE XLR in on the E64.

so i guess my question is ->

stereo XLR adaptor -> 1/4" jack lead -> stereo 3.5mm adaptor

OR

mono XLR adaptor -> 1/4" jack lead -> mono 3.5mm adaptor

???????? does the digital AES/EBU signal need stereo/mono adaptors AND does matter whether I use balanced or un-balanced wiring for it to work ?????????

yours confusedly
woxy

i don't

Message 4/8                 Date: 08-Nov-01  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: E64 spdif | aes/ebu output

woxy

ok - just in case anyone else is having the same problem (i doubt it) - heres what i've dug up.

the XLR jack on the EMU is configured as follows :-

PIN1 N.C.
PIN2 +
PIN3 -

so - - - - - if you want to connect this to the 3.5mm AES/EBU input on the HOONTECH DSP24 (which is expecting a balanced wire - ie. 3 signals - to be plugged into it) then you're going to have to do some fiddling

- - - - - a much easier option is to manufacture a cable connecting PINS 2 & 3 on the EMU XLR out to the tip and er... the not-tip bit repectively on a phono connector - - then set the digital output on the EMU to S/PDIF instead of AES

i'm gonna try it tonight - will report back

Message 5/8                 Date: 08-Nov-01  @  09:47 PM   -   RE: E64 spdif | aes/ebu output

influx

you made that SO confusing

its AES to SPDIF coax, right?

there are cables like that, ready made

Message 6/8                 Date: 09-Nov-01  @  09:28 AM   -   RE: E64 spdif | aes/ebu output

woxy

i wish you could delete posts you've made earlier (that were utterly confusing) and replace them with one clear line

ahem...

the XLR on the back of the EMU is switchable to output either AEB/EBU OR S/PDIF

my soundcard has both AES/EBU and S/PDIF inputs

so - so - so - so

i've got an XLR connector at the EMU end going to a coax phono at the PC end (pins connected as above) - and am using S/PDIF to talk between the two

woxy

Message 7/8                 Date: 09-Nov-01  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: E64 spdif | aes/ebu output

influx

woohoo! 

and you CAN change posts if you log in. there is an edit function

so you got it workin, right? 

Message 8/8                 Date: 12-Nov-01  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: E64 spdif | aes/ebu output

woxy

Link?: Link

yup - lurverly digital signals flowing from my E64 straight into the Hoontech Soundcard and back again.

i love it when things work 1st time!!!

woxy

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum