0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: A3k

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4                 Date: 30-Oct-01  @  06:22 PM   -   A3k

Will

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ive finally got my scsi chain working. Ive got an internal cd drive in my computer into my SCSI card into my sampler to an internal hard drive. It all works...except it contradicts scsi specs. It only works if the internal SCSI termination of the sampler is left ON which is stupid, cause theres a terminated hard drive in there.

Well i decided not to worry about it and put my studio back together.

I replaced an external hard drive and zip with a sigle scsi cable from the computer to the sampler (the only external now), and its all good, althouth ive noticed noise on the signal when samples are played. These are on samples loaded and imported via scsi from an akai cd. Im sure it wasnt there before - could it be noise picked up by the cable (runs past all power from the studio)?

Now I know that the outs of the a3k are fairly quiet, but it seems as if they are quieter now than they were before. Theres about 25-30db between my samplerouts and my soundcard. I dont like to put the internal gain boost on the main outs cause it I switch the outputs I have to compensate on the mixer for the aux outs, so I leave them the same with no extra gain on the main outs. But blimey - I've got the mixer gains up to full on the sampler channels just to get them up to a useable signal with the rest of the gear (and thats the main outs!)

Anyone else have this problem. I know that you can boost the gain of the aux outs on the a4k /a5k, but mines only an a3k  

also ive noticed a bit of hum when I patch in my digitech FX (which yeah I know are noisy as they are fx, but surely hums a different matter?) Does that mean that something is not grounded properly?

All my cables are unbalanced btw, and I cant be bothered to try and balance the connections where possible.... 2 cents from everyone helpful if thats ok.....

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/4                 Date: 31-Oct-01  @  12:23 PM   -   RE: A3k

steve

that sounds pretty bizarre Will .....samples pushed down the scsi line shouldn`t pick up any noise cos afaik its only data that passes through them. Don`t have any idea why its gotten quieter either, that don`t sound right at all.

Message 3/4                 Date: 31-Oct-01  @  02:13 PM   -   RE: A3k

Jasper

I never figured out this problem, apart from using the gain in the filter settings on max (but this overdrives some of the effects).

You could be noticing the noise because you said you lost a lot of db and now you have to compensate, but the a3k assignable outs are the noisiest ever, and you also get aliased noise on the samples themselves like the converters are made of poxy shite. It's not actually added to the samples data though (export one via a floppy to test this) just as the sample plays. The outputs are unbalanced for the record (did you expect anything else?)

No help at all I'm afraid.

Message 4/4                 Date: 01-Nov-01  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: A3k

Will

Hmmm. thats a shame about the outs. I never really used them till now as im trying to get the most out of all of my gear. This is the sort of thing that tempts me to get more equiptment - but I know I dont really need it, besides its a home studio its not like im a pro....yet   ah sod it Ill just have to use a noise gate.

Cheers for replys tho guys. Appreciated....

W

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum