0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: new blend style

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 30-Oct-01  @  09:45 AM     Edit: 12-Nov-01  |  09:24 AM   -   new blend style

xoxos

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

"the old blend"

had this dream where i was at a.. they call it 'haute..' restaurant.. where they were playing this 'new' (...) style of music called 'new blend.' very modern and upwardly mobile joint.. japanese and euro sitting.. hell.. there's one fat bald buy all wet and naked just outta the in-house jacuzzi reclining on the floor with a tempura plate.. so high fashion, near-future.. mature people relaxing in a social atmosphere..

anyway. thought some people might be interested. minimal, electronic, 2, maybe 3 instruments tops.. and maybe one special effect kinda sound.. dynamic, but not complex. i did try to add another part in (just a subtle pad) and it sounded too produced and idiosyncratic.. not quite bland/emphasis on motion enuff.. make your parts work.. and pads are out because the space allows for imagination to interact with the harmonics..

it's very dynamic.. not necessarily a strong beat, but keeps you nodding your head, tapping your toe, or a little tune.. the style ranges from kinda 'cool beat' like this track to calypso.. just simple phrases rendered in simple colours. but all tracks are 1 to 3 minutes long max, so there's a lot of little tunes in a short amount of time. parts can be repetitive but carry via the dubbing.. and they're all pleasant to listen to.. i guess it's just sorta like stylish easy listening. but simple enough to only be b/g music.

so i woke up and put down the last one i 'heard..' i went a bit 'liquid sky' on it at the end (yeah, trust me, it is called _new_ blend..) but that's how it strikes me. also.. my pc has crappy timing, which totally ruins the glamorous sparkle.. hey! it does sparkle when i'm not recording audio, honest!  

so.. not really much of a track to listen to, but thought i'd share because, first off, i don't have enough time to do everything (stole the sounds from the track i'm supposed to be working on now) and i'd like to see a 'new blend' comp/listening experience, and, as a style, it takes minimal equipment (notice: no fx used, simple sounds.. nl on both synth parts) and might be good for other people to cut their chops on as well. a new blend track doesn't have to be all that much or resolve or anything, because where one song ends, another begins. and even if you're struggling with your gear, it shouldn't take more than 2 hours, or the energy is gone. i'm thinking half that time when i've made a few.

anyone game?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 30-Oct-01  @  09:57 AM     Edit: 12-Nov-01  |  09:03 AM   -   RE: new blend style

xoxos

no message

Message 3/11                 Date: 30-Oct-01  @  05:14 PM   -   RE: new blend style

sensoniq

Link?:  Link

this is cool stuff man! The intro. makes me reminisce a kubrick flick. I love the simplicity -- the bass alone defines the breaks and the groove, that's a damn good idea breaking down the bass groove into quarter notes and then back again. But why does it end after the vox begin!

Message 4/11                 Date: 30-Oct-01  @  07:36 PM   -   RE: new blend style

xoxos

it intros the next track  

riding home from work, i thought this is just my excuse to work very short term/non-commitally on a load of different sorts of modes, keys, vibes.. get my hands wet w/o the headache of 'finishing tracks.' i also thought this is something you'd probably be into  

plus now i get to make up a fake history for my cd/artifact product.. i have to credit you and henry riddle ('shopping..' wow..) as being the primary predecessors of new blend..

Message 5/11                 Date: 31-Oct-01  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: new blend style

sensoniq

I think that's the most efficient and proficient use of
time...Rather than go the whole nine yards with each
and every chewn, pick the ones that really deserve the
headache and treat the rest as scratchpads. That way,
more ideas can come out because everyone knows that
for every hit there's a few flops so this increases your
odds of great success...A way to play the chewn-making
odds in your favor...Survival of the fittest applies to
chewn-making too

Message 6/11                 Date: 09-Nov-01  @  12:47 AM   -   RE: new blend style

bl_nd

Link?:  No link

yes

Message 7/11                 Date: 12-Nov-01  @  07:50 AM   -   RE: new blend style

nothingnewhere

rock

Message 8/11                 Date: 12-Nov-01  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: new blend style

xoxos

how convenient that you posted.. just updated the file.. it's here now.. and fixed   "the old blend"

nice track nnh.. reminds me of early aphex stuff, other stuff, but still nice. 2 weeks? have you taken a 'break' from 'proper music' to do ass tracks/joke music yet?

Message 9/11                 Date: 12-Nov-01  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: new blend style

sensoniq

hell yeah I dig it...that brilliantly simple new blend structure works very well with this moderatelypaced but upbeat electronic music. You can hear that new blend structure very well on "the old blend" new blend track. New blend old blend, you are onto something with this new blend xoxos

Message 10/11                 Date: 12-Nov-01  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: new blend style

milan

xoxos gets the "best new music style" nomination.

can you imaine if there actually was such a competition?

Message 11/11                 Date: 13-Nov-01  @  12:19 AM   -   RE: new blend style

nothingnewhere

i really liked the old blend vocals. do more of that in the future and i will be pleased immensely.

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum