0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Anything wrong with stereo kicks?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 28-Oct-01  @  01:32 PM   -   Anything wrong with stereo kicks?

Chroma

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Obviously the kik itself is dead center but i added a bit of stereo reverb to give a bit more dimension..i've read before, here or elsewhere that kiks should be in mono?? i've listened through several systems and all seems to be fine..but if you know of any nasties that might pop up down the line tell me pls..

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 28-Oct-01  @  05:31 PM   -   RE: Anything wrong with stereo kicks?

bedwyr

Link?: Link

just roll off some bottom on the reverb. i think the kicks in mono thing comes from the fact that low frequencies aren't very directional (ie you can't really tell where the rumble comes from) and that if you pan a loud kick or bass noise hard the it's likely to make your needle jump off the record.

if it's a special efftect your after then put more bottom on a long reverb (like for a big boooom at the start of a breakdown)  

Message 3/8                 Date: 29-Oct-01  @  12:14 AM   -   RE: Anything wrong with stereo kicks?

Pongoid

Also depends on what system you will be playing on. many systems don't enecessarily run true stereo bass, or even a summed bass, just just one side of the bass to keep the signal mono, and not run into phase cancellation problems. something to be aware of in your compositions. I bitch at systems when they do that, cuz I love doing all kinds of stereo kicks and stereo bass, and wierd phasing shit as well. Enjoy.

Ape

Message 4/8                 Date: 29-Oct-01  @  12:14 AM   -   RE: Anything wrong with stereo kicks?

Pongoid

Also depends on what system you will be playing on. many systems don't enecessarily run true stereo bass, or even a summed bass, just just one side of the bass to keep the signal mono, and not run into phase cancellation problems. something to be aware of in your compositions. I bitch at systems when they do that, cuz I love doing all kinds of stereo kicks and stereo bass, and wierd phasing shit as well. Enjoy.

Ape

Message 5/8                 Date: 29-Oct-01  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: Anything wrong with stereo kicks?

bedwyr

yeah, that's right, just check your mixes in mono and listen to see if any thing loses a bit of volume due to the phase cancellation thing

Message 6/8                 Date: 29-Oct-01  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: Anything wrong with stereo kicks?

mikec

Born Slippy (nuxx) by Underworld.

Check out the stereo kicks on that beast.

MikeC

Message 7/8                 Date: 30-Oct-01  @  12:44 AM   -   RE: Anything wrong with stereo kicks?

Brett B

you can hear the diferance if you take a kick track and copy it to another track. pan hard left and right. You will loose a lot of the impact and hear the space in the center. Stereo reverb is what we naturally hear anyway, but yes roll off the bottom end and the dry signal to prevent that muddyness. By panning bass and kick in stereo you are adding phase cancelation into the center because of the delay or distance between the signals. It ends up sounding like a big whole in the center.

Message 8/8                 Date: 30-Oct-01  @  06:27 AM   -   RE: Anything wrong with stereo kicks?

Chroma

yes i figured as much...I did roll off the bass in the reverb and its a clicky kind of kik anyways so the reverb is catching the click more the the thud; its quite clear and not boomy or muddy...

thanks guys!

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum