0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: mpc60/s900 vs mpcXL bit rate

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 16-Oct-01  @  05:43 PM   -   mpc60/s900 vs mpcXL bit rate

8life8

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

so I always read about how good the mpc60/s950 sounds, I've even heard ppl say that a 909 kick sounds better through a s900 that from a actual 909 /or is that a orginal 909 sample) anyway the 6o & 9oo share the same sampling engine (although they don't share the same features) and the mpc2000xl has bit reduction thus being abel to transform a 16bit sample to 8 or 12 bit, now could I say that I have a mpc60 s900 inside my XL, ppl knock the 2000 compared to 60 all the time and I know there are going to be some "minor?" charagteristik difrences but has anyone played them side by side and relized that the Xl can be just as retro sounding .. hmmm

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 16-Oct-01  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: mpc60/s900 vs mpcXL bit rate

toast

Bit reduction isn't the same as using a 12bit sampler. You can sample at 12bit with any 16bit sampler just by lowering the volume when you sample and then normailizing. -6dB = -1bit. What this doesn't account for is the A/D converters on earlier samplers. Most of them actually filter the sounds to get better 12bit samples. Plus every different sampler has a different sound which is even more apparent in the low bit rate boxes. Does any of this really matter? No. If you want that 12bit sound you can pick up an old box really cheap. If your MPC makes you happy, cool. It's not the same. There's some magic in those old boxes but whatever.

Message 3/6                 Date: 17-Oct-01  @  05:42 AM   -   RE: mpc60/s900 vs mpcXL bit rate

8life8

nice! that pretty much sumed it up ..

Message 4/6                 Date: 18-Oct-01  @  06:58 AM   -   RE: mpc60/s900 vs mpcXL bit rate

Brett B

Those old box's cheap? sp1200's are selling for $1200, and the old mpc3000 and 60's are pretty hard to find and when you do, they are normally rediculously priced. Most of them still reside in pro-studios, as many new producers still use them heavily for clients. The s950's are reasonable, but make sure they have the memory upgrade in them already. Another alternative is to use a cheap emu emax. Many swear they are just as punchy as the s900. Memory is enough for a drum kit and it is 12bit and has those classic curtis analog filters. They run $200-$300.

Message 5/6                 Date: 24-Oct-01  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: mpc60/s900 vs mpcXL bit rate

toast

Only a fool would buy a SP1200 for the prices they go for. Most 12bit boxes are dirt cheap. Just don't go for the ones that all the little wannabe b-boys think they gotta own in order to make beats. If you just need the sound there are a ton of choices for 2-3 hundred dollars.

Message 6/6                 Date: 27-Oct-01  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: mpc60/s900 vs mpcXL bit rate

k

Link?: Link

lemme tell you seiously - the emax WILL blow ANY... THAT IS ANY sampler out of the water for drums... i dont mean flashy filters & fx etc, but for straight tumping cracking drums... unbeatable.. that's a 3 grand sampler by the way at release!

they are cheap, replaceable in any territory, and have 8 dynamic out's with two samples per note at 8 note poly (16 note with layering for drums etc) it'll do anything that synth, you also get some of the fattest, warmest lushest pad's around & strings to die for, but at £250 a throw now s/h they make a good drumbox with 8 outs.

the 950 and s900 have a more harsh sound, but they still rock... one of each would be heaven!!... it's hard to describe the difference in sound, but metallic is how i'd describe the akai, a bit thinner and more peircing than the emax, but the emax is 'clack'-ier in the midrange on snare 'cracks' and thumpier on kiks... but the 950 has more memory, and it's allocatable so you can dial up JUST the sample length you wish to record/use.. it's quite good with memory management.

anyways, the emax... brilliant sampler and you can get the SP kits for it anyways.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum