0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: my first online track!

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/22                 Date: 10-Oct-01  @  10:01 PM   -   my first online track!

the knowa (noah)

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey folks, I finally posted a track up here. Please listen and let ne know if you dig it. My music machine is not online, so big ups to DJ Inkognito who posted it for me.

It's a section from a track I did for a film called Brush, which isn't out yet. It's missing the first 3 and last 5 minutes do to file size issue. I was gonna put the full length hi-fi version at mp3.com and advertise here to piss off influx, but I don't like the feel of that site. It remnds of a credit card company. Anyway, enjoy and your comments are appreciated.--noah

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/22                 Date: 10-Oct-01  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

influx

Link?:  Link

hehe. to piss off influx  no no no no NO. Im downloading it right now

Message 3/22                 Date: 10-Oct-01  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

influx

hehe. whats up roni. or is it SUV? Die?

sorry but this just sounds way too much like them. But on the other hand that means youre spot on! maybe you should try one of those labels?

I dig the fills, tho. something those guys dont seem to bother with

Message 4/22                 Date: 10-Oct-01  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

steve

Link?: Link

more of a hospital records or early dune vibe imo. What I heard of it was nice, but its encoded too high to stream properly for tramps like me still on dialup so it cuts out and rebuffers every 15-20 seconds or so.

I`d like to hear a 32kbps/22khz version please  

Message 5/22                 Date: 10-Oct-01  @  11:11 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

Maarten

Have the feeling that someone is looking over my shoulder during the fist bit  good.
Love the beats man.... like the different samples you use inbetween the breaks, yup trippy stuff = good!

Message 6/22                 Date: 10-Oct-01  @  11:35 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

the knowa

many thanks for the positive feedback. I still think that New Forms is the best electronic recording ever--it's the reason I bought a sampler--so the comparison is deeply, deeply gratifying. when I get a hi-fi version online I'll let everybody know. thanks to all those who answered my tech questions this past year and to kilo for putting it all together. theres one dude here who I always disagree with about political stuff (btw, sorry for some heated posts--this is not the appropriate medium for my ranting)--I think its formant--and last week, I promised give him a link to some music so we could enjoy some common ground. hope you're listeneing and liking it, formant.

one last thing--how does this sound at lo fi? I can only hear it on some crappy little computer speakers, and I'm wondering if there's some eq tips I should know about encoding mp3's and such, for future posts. thanks fellas.--noah

Message 7/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  01:22 AM   -   RE: my first online track!

milan

it sounds very good, actually.

only negative comment iīd have for you, is that itīs rather unoriginal- the beats sounds exactly like new forms. otherwise, well executed, i like all the different bits that come and go.

ahhh... thereīs a half speed break, nice. well done. like it better than dnb part.

what can i say, iīm dissing you for doing a good but somewhat unoriginal track (its way too much like roni size for me). on the other hand, i dont know if i have accomplished even that much thus far. m.

Message 8/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  04:00 AM   -   RE: my first online track!

influx

yeah, that would have been my only complaint. Slightly too imitative. good sound. good arrangement. clever changes,. but just a little too close

I know you said you see that as a compliment, but...influence is one thing, and imitation another.

Message 9/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  05:54 AM   -   RE: my first online track!

k

yeah, nice track noah.. very nice   stick up a lower fi version mebbe. you do realise if you go into a users page/tracklist from a forum, if you click the track title you can d/load also from a link on the track_detail page that loads.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  10:32 AM   -   RE: my first online track!

xoxos

there's this one type of music that makes me sick.. sorta like influx's style, but.. i dunno.. the feeling is different. influx has real energy.. but i hear all these tracks that are like bleeps and bloops and drumloops dropping in and out. sounds like someone throwing up after watching mid-90's u.s. television commercials for 100 years.

then again, every time i hear one of these tracks it's from some one looknig to make a living in the commercial music market.

i was scared to death i'd just downloaded one such track. however, the dispersion of ideas as the track progressed (like the scat at the end wondering how far you've wandered) and fresh tumults of sounds was nice   good luck with it!

Message 11/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  02:41 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

knowa

I have to agree that the track is not wildly original. OK, not even vaguely original   Remember that this is for a film, though, and that the director requested something like the Pi soundtrack. So my intent was to create some music best suited to what I think is gonna be a very good, suspenseful film, and I wasn't to worried about being on the cutting edge of d'n'b or anything. I wish I could have posted the whole track as I believe the extended intro and last 3 minutes add to the originality by being quite a bit more symphonic/thematic than most d'n'b. But I'm just rationalizing here. Point taken--it sounds a hell of a lot like some of the Full Cycle stuff. "Clear Skies" by Bill Riley and "Tronic Funk" by Test were both in my head as I started picked up my bass last month. I spent SO long trying to get my bass part to sound like the super-fat electric bass sound on "Tronic Funk" but I completely failed on that count. Oh well, it's done, and hopefully, I'll be hearing this shit at the Angelika next year.

Sorry to be dumb, kilo, but I'm not sure what you mean. I can link to a track posted on another server here? To be honest, it's not even clear to me where this song is right now. On a server hard drive at your place? As far as I know, we encoded this track at the lowest resolution possible. Feel free to address these questions in a private email if they're really silly. I'm embarassingly naive about most computer stuff. Thanks for the kind words, as well. I'm glad that you don't think I'm "polishing turds"  

I've got a bunch of other, rather different-sounding, tracks to post as soon as I can track down the ever-mysterious DJ Inkognito again. But one of them, man, if you thought this one was derivative...  Thanks again.

Message 12/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

Sensoniq

Cool track dude, I can definitely dig it...In fact it makes me want to go write a track with breaks every four bars since that seems to really keep things groovin in this tune

Message 13/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

influx

I must have missed the fact that it was for a film! that changes a lot!

like I said..its well done no matter what

I have energy?

Message 14/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  08:55 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

noah

thanks sensoniq. I really miss the days when d'n'b was called jungle, was not fascinated with techno, and had a lot of breakdowns/fills. Those fills, and the switching to half-time, really exploit the potential of the style, imo. Maybe I'm just going to the wrong places, but I always seem to hear ultra-repetitve, boring music when I check out a d'n'b spot in NY. I'm probably just not hip anymore, though. Whenever I hear Led Zepplin on the radio, I can't believe how dope it is.

thanks influx. I'll get the full track up somehow and you'll be better able to hear the "filminess" of it. your tunes are real tight, and you're a consistently critical cat too, so I really apprectiate your endorsement. And of course you have energy! Haven't you read your own posts about trance music and links to mp3.com?

Allright fellas. The next track I post will feature me singing about how much I love my girlfriend through my virus vocoder. This will dispell the embryonic myth that the knowa is but a mere Roni Size imitator. I can do Jimi Tenor too   --noah

Message 15/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  10:25 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

milan

cant wait to hear...heh heh  

yeah well, i also missed the "made to order" bit, that does change the situation drasticaly as iīve done some unoriginal stuff for the visuals myself, as have many others for that matter. wanna hear my take on Coldcutīs Timber? or some dīnīb with full blown string arrangement over the top?

as long as it pays the bills, its fair game...

Message 16/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  10:46 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

marianimal

Nice wah-wahs, lots of nice touches. Keep on.

marianimal

Message 17/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

influx

noah..youre pretty much spot-on about what "jungle" is nowadays. There was a club in LA called Konkrete Jungle (an offshoot of the well known NY spot) and it was almost ALL the shit that sounded like fucking slayer. I stopped going for that very reason

now, SCIENCE, at the Pink in santa monica...

at its heyday, that place was the SHIT. god I remember going there in about 95 right when I found out what this shit was..and just..leaving that place drenched in sweat, higher than I could ever possibly be off drugs. Days when roker and Jun would spin the most mindbending breaks and bass. before everything went to 185 and straight boom-bap

someone once told me that you flat out know youre getting old when you start talking about the "good ol days" as if the present isnt good enough.

(influx raising his hand tentatively)

oh, and I HAVE ENERGY!!! WOOHOO!!!

Message 18/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  11:09 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

xoxos

that bit about downloading from k was for steve so he can hear the whole track.

somehow my 56k modem is going regularly at 115kbps.. sweetness.. takes 1 1/2 minutes to d/l a dt track  

Message 19/22                 Date: 11-Oct-01  @  11:36 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

steve

I know I can download, but if I downloaded every track here that was encoded at too high a rate then I`d be wasting even more time that I already do on the internet. Would be easier if folk just encoded at a lower rate.

Message 20/22                 Date: 12-Oct-01  @  12:32 AM   -   RE: my first online track!

influx

theyre pretty quick downloads actually. even I dont bitch about that

Message 21/22                 Date: 12-Oct-01  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: my first online track!

xoxos

god steve  

Message 22/22                 Date: 12-Oct-01  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: my first online track!

knowa

milan--not sure which track you're referring to. The Eastern Gem? It didn't sound like Coldcult o me, but I'm not familiar with Timber (at least by title). And up until now, my music obsession has only CREATED bills. So I can't exacty use the "do what you gotta do" excuse for unoriginal stuff.

Still, I think that musicians should be principally concerned with making good music, and that if you really love Muddy Waters, Stevie Wonder, or Roni Size, just go ahead and make what you like to hear. If your influences are obvious, so what? If I heard a wicked young blues guitarist playing stolen Buddy Guy riffs, I would hesitate to declare him a genius, but it wouldn't stop me from making those ugly faces when he bent those notes and vibrato'd just right. I'm thinking now of how some, foolish, foolish people dismissed Omni Trio's "Haunted Science" as 'boring' because it did not follow the new trend towards sicko basses, still used the 808 subs, JV1080, and familiar drum sounds. In some ways, that album was not particularly new or "cutting edge". It is, however (imo) one of the finest collections of songs ever. If you're just listening for innovation, I think you can miss out on the important subtleties that distinguish that record from a million, truly boring releases on Good Looking. If Roni Size reclaimed his sanity (Lucky Pressure???? Huey Louis and the New School Breaks?) and made another record that sounded a lot like New Forms, but was equally as dope, I would still love it. I have to say though, the majority of jazz and blues players who mimic the old bebop and Chicago stuff are really annoying about it, for some reason. Anyway, originality is an important virtue and certainly a personal goal.

influx--parallel experience on the east coast. thanks to Odi and DB, jungle hit new york around 93/94. When I first heard Dred Bass, I asked my friend if it was real music   I just could not believe my ears. that backwards bass had me walking around high school mouthing "whu whu, whu, whu-whu-whu-whu, whuw, whuuu whuuu whuuuu"  . That John B record with the Slayer (I think) sample ("huh!, war!") says it all. Funny, in stupid trendy New York, you can hear 16 year olds talking about "the good old days" as dissasatfaction with the present is valued as an indicating that you were "there" before all the kids from Queens and Jersey knew about it. Maybe I'm just salty cuz I'm from Jersey. but, whoo doggie!, those really WERE the days! and the first wave of arty, whiter stuff too."Understand" by Tango? Forget about it. That breakdown almost gave me a heart attack.--original knuttah

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum