0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: S6000

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 30-Sep-01  @  03:06 PM   -   S6000

jungreen

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hello all
I have just been offered an akai s6000 with full upgrades for £1100. I know this is pretty cheap so I am very tempted. One of my options may be to buy it then sell it with my sherman filterbank(my little baby)and get an e4ultra as I hear the filters are amazing, so I wouldnt need the filterbank anymore. I also have an a3000 but I wouldnt sell that for anything. Can anyone compare the s6000 to the e4 as the e4 does seem to have more on it, but sometimes these extra features are never used and I am more interested in the sound of the unit itself. Any help will be usefull as I live nowhere near any music shops.
cheers

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 30-Sep-01  @  04:05 PM   -   RE: S6000

steve

Link?: Link

you`ll really need to give each a listen yourself pal, its very subjective. When I gave the 2 an A-B I decided the e-mu was the one for me, but plenty of people have done the same and gone with the akai so its a case of horse for course.

In short, e-mu sounds: warm+rich/dull+muddy depending on your viewpoint, akais sound clear+crisp/sanitised+lifeless. The e4 has much more in terms of synthesis power (23 entry mod-matrix with 65 or so mod sources and the same amount of destinations) but like you said, you may not use it. The akai has a much better file system and with the usb thing you can use your computer hd for storage rather than forking out on zips/hds etc like you do on the e4. The buttons on my e4 have gone to shit too which is somethig to bear in mind.

I`m still happy with the choice I made but like I said, you really need to go listen and fiddle with them yourself to see what the coup is.

Message 3/6                 Date: 30-Sep-01  @  05:37 PM   -   RE: S6000

jun

Link?:  No link

thanks for the info
I wish I could check them out. You say that the emu is warm sounding. I wonder if putting the akai through a good valve eq, could produce a warm result. I always find it is easier to make a clean sound warm, than to do the opposite.

Message 4/6                 Date: 30-Sep-01  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: S6000

milan

Link?:  Link

I´m not going say if Akai or E-mu is better, since it is sort of personal, and Steve pointed out main differences between the two (kinda  

BUT, i i have to say this: e-mu has lovely filters, but it is NOT going to replace your filterbank! its filtering capabilities are not that complex, plus, of course, it wont distort the way an FB would.

Then again, i´ve used different e-mus, but have gotten the filterbank just recently, so i´m still very much influenced by the new-gear-is-better-syndrome.

cheers, m.

Message 5/6                 Date: 30-Sep-01  @  05:55 PM   -   RE: S6000

jun

The filterbank is pretty amazing isnt it. I think I will get the akai s6000. I suppose I could use it for a month and it wont deprecieate that much,
cheers
jun

Message 6/6                 Date: 30-Sep-01  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: S6000

8life8

imo the filters in the S5k S6k sound amazing, very detailed/clean while the emus are more round/muddy-fatter.. but I guess that's all a part of the warm+rich clean+crisp flow.. and no way the emu will replace the filterbank.. I heard the filters of a su7oo once and I must say they are the most analouge sounding filters for a sampler (very club like.. so I assume your a3k is like that.. can't beat the "face off" interface of the akai though & like steve pointed out that marvolus usp feature.. can't go wrong with eather imo ..

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum