0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: digital recording in the red zone

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4                 Date: 17-Sep-01  @  02:17 AM   -   digital recording in the red zone

8life8

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

so yhea I was brought up with analouge and the saying if you can't hear it, it's not distorting .. so alot af analouge recordings will be recorded with the vu meter dancing all over the read zone .. in digital someone told me don't let the leds reach the red, that means it's distorting.. wtf I can't hear it distort!! even though my 01v says it's clipping on the master output .. what's the right thing to do? the monitor on my MD (digital in) doesn't say it's over even though the 01v tells me I'm clipping (is it ok to clip on a 01v?).. I know in digital I want to be at 0db when the final mix is down and when I bounce it into cool edit I'm recording at like -0.2db (yes that's 0.2 not -2) which is dam near 0.00 but yet when I play it back it seam low in volume compared to cd .. wtf

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/4                 Date: 17-Sep-01  @  05:03 AM   -   RE: digital recording in the red zone

damballah

Link?:  Link

some digital systems give you a small bit of headroom on top of the highest led. if it really were clipping, you'd know it.

what's happening with your volume demonstrates the difference between apparent volume and what peak meters tell you. the CD you're comparing to has probably been mastered and had the apparent volume raised through limiting. on your material, you've probably got some dynamic events (drums, bass, etc) that's hopping up to 0db with much of the other musical energy residing much lower. you could compress some of those things so they don't peak quite so high or compress/limit the whole thing.

Message 3/4                 Date: 17-Sep-01  @  05:08 AM   -   RE: digital recording in the red zone

influx

Link?:  Link

O1v has a pretty good margin for error on the mains. try it out. wont hurt anything. THEN you will know what it sounds like. SHIT. unmistakeable sound 

Message 4/4                 Date: 17-Sep-01  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: digital recording in the red zone

8life8

Link?:  No link

wow..two post & all my questions r answeard & all my problems r solved .. cheers fellas !!!

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum