0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: First Offering from Skoob/Paleface

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 08-Sep-01  @  05:48 PM   -   First Offering from Skoob/Paleface

Paleface

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

You lot may (or more likely not) know me as "Skoob"... I've been hanging around here for, oh, getting on 3 years. And occasionally posting.

Anyway, I've finally uploaded a track. It is NOT finished - it is a Sketch, laid out on the RM1x - all there musically, just waiting for a sampler to improve the sound of it. At the moment, it's RM1x only... but it it's a good enough impression, good enough to gain feedback on it. One effect lost because it's mono, but apart from that, should be OK. On some systems the bass appears a little weak - working on this.

I'd be itnerested in comments. Kinda downtempo/hiphop type thing. I'm quite proud, as a relative newbie, having only acquired the RM1x in April, and not having vast time for this kind of thing.

Thanks for your time - please DL, don't stream!

(available from viewing my user).

p.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 09-Sep-01  @  03:17 AM   -   RE: First Offering from Skoob/Paleface

xoxos

Link?: Link

i thinked try cutting the piano before the 2nd piano part for a drum break.. (or some other sound.. maybe cascade and drums..) the 'fill' wakes you up but then it's more piano sound so you roll over and go ack to sleep w/o really appreciating the 2nd phrase so much. the transition bakc seems to work better.

phrases flow nice; natural tone progressions and the cascade was nice (though perhaps more sparing use would be more flattering) and you know your timing on the kick is scary.

congrats!

Message 3/9                 Date: 09-Sep-01  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: First Offering from Skoob/Paleface

Paleface

Yeah, the break could be improved, sure. Will try a drum break there, or something else. Scary kick timing? Help? Someone else has noticed there's a slight out-ness in the syncopation, but if you could point what's wrong it'd help.

Thanks very much for the comments though, Xoxos, good to have feedback from someone whose opinion I respect. There's a lot I could do with the arrangement, might have a fiddle.

Thanks again, p.

Message 4/9                 Date: 09-Sep-01  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: First Offering from Skoob/Paleface

0/d

Really nice track there mate! Well done,The rm1x piano sounds nice sometimes doesn't it? The kick sounded a bit off and a few dodgy crashes here a there but I think its more a velocity thing more than a timing thing.

Message 5/9                 Date: 09-Sep-01  @  04:06 PM   -   RE: First Offering from Skoob/Paleface

Paleface

Hmn. Not sure about that piano at all, it's a bit clangy. But I don't want to filter it... might sample the gorgeous upright downstairs for the final version.

Tightening the kick is no problem - the only thing on the track that was quantised was the hats. (Which I may experiment with, funk up a little). Will sit down in the Edit page and fiddle with kick timing, in that case. The second theme is a bit less strong, I wrote that in about twenty minutes one morning - didn't spend quite as long on it as I did on the main bit. Hence dodgy kicks. And xoxos is right, the second break is way better than the first, so I'll try something completely different there.

For now, I'm taking a break from this track, I'm sick of hearing it...! Thanks loads for criticism.

Message 6/9                 Date: 09-Sep-01  @  08:46 PM   -   RE: First Offering from Skoob/Paleface

panama

one of the piano rolls sounds offbeat... make sure the kick follows 8th notes... for lazy beats, add silence before the kick... this you could do with a sampler.

Message 7/9                 Date: 09-Sep-01  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: First Offering from Skoob/Paleface

xoxos

i'm alwats right and well worthy of respect   hey did i just try to type 'i'm a twat?'

the kick sounds like you sequenced it 'live' and are shooting for a pretty tight shuffle. i dunno about the rm1x but try quantising it to 24ths (if you're @ 96ppqn that's 0,32,48,80) with a slight tolerance if you want the humanisation ('tolerance' in kawaispeak will pull anything outside of a certain range into tolerance.. ie. a tolerance of 2 with quantise a 27 to a 30, a 35 to a 34, but won't move a 31 or a 34 et c..) the rm1x has a 'shuffle amount,' dunnit? if not, (and i'm sure it does so i'm just blagging for other sequencer owners) you can quickly get different shuffle amounts w/o microediting every note by quantising either to 16ths or 24ths with different tolerances.

if i'm right on this, try strictly step-entering all your sequences for a while until you hear beats in terms of. if i'm not, well, i'll let you not respect me and be sad.

Message 8/9                 Date: 09-Sep-01  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: First Offering from Skoob/Paleface

Paleface

I don't like that idea. I mean, I have no problem sitting down and working out _precisely_ what the beat I'm feeling is. Hell, I'll knock up a drum score if that's what you want.

What I _want_ is to sit down, and play it myself. Because the feel of a step/grid drawn beat with humanisation over the top ain't the same. It's a potential solution, but tbh, there are two kick/snare loops that I can fix quite quickly by hand.

I played the entire track live, and for a reason. Whilst I tweak in edit/and the odd quantise, I tend to hope my rhythmic ability is worth something. The end is a bit rushed, and needs work... but certainly the main section, I'm happy with, or was, until various people I know pointed out dodgy syncopation. Which I'll have to work on.

I'd rather work on my (already reasonably good) timing than on my use of Step Edit. Can't bear Step. Thanks for comments, anyhow.

Message 9/9                 Date: 10-Sep-01  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: First Offering from Skoob/Paleface

0/d

Speaking from my own personal perspective I think you will find a combination of both Grid/step and realtime playing(with hard quantising) will suit you a lot,You've got to ask yourself if off time beats are better than in time,the human feel can be acheived on top off your main beats which at the moment aren't working.You know when jazz drummers are playing really off the beat,so is everyone else in the band,this is the only reason it works.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum